VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A mini shoot-out

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: A mini shoot-out Reply with quote

Today one of my audio engineer friends asked me to come by his studio for a voiceover session, and to plan to stay a little extra so he could play with a new toy. It's this bad boy by Avalon.

He set up two U87's, identical except for their connections.

File One is routed my friend's usual way directly into his O2R mixer (with his usual EQ and compression settings for my voice)

File Two is routed through the Avalon and then into a Tube-tech compressor.

In the interests of audio clarity, I'm posting two .WAV files, each about 1.5 Meg in size.

Here is file one.

Here is file two.

(post edited for, hopefully, greater clarity)
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch

Last edited by bobsouer on Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ho Bob,

Being slightly biased, I liked File 2. The Avalon and the Tube Tech,

The reason being, the sibilance on File 1 is a bit higher on the sssstress points (i.e.: sss-ell-a bray -sch-in).

The Avalon AD 2022/Tube Tech CL-2A is also a much more "level" compression, less artifacts, and smoother on consonants. Overall compression levels were better on File 2.

The OS2 alone - File 1 , is nice and would be great for guitar (non-electric), and cello, viola, etc, But it would be difficult to control properly on strings such as violin, and murder on horns - at present settings. Vocals would be interesting in the Soprano range also. Your bass voice makes a nice comparison on each, but I would also like to hear a female voice for better diversity.

File 2 - RULES.

Origianl Post edited with new understanding...Thanks Bob!

Toodles

Frank F

Last edited by Frank F on Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:10 am; edited 3 times in total
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank,

File Two is the Avalon, yes. But, it's also the Tube-tech. File One is just the O2R with internal processing (EQ and compression) only.

Sorry for the confusion. I'll edit my initial post to make that more clear.
+1-724-613-2749
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Bob. Even with the expensive gear on #2, I like File #1. It seems to have retained more sonic clarity. Yes the "s" is a little more loose on it than #2, as Frank said...but #2 did not sound as full and clear to me. It may work in other formats/reads. Probably sounds killer on vocals for music etc.....but #1 worked better with your voice to me. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the shoot out exercise Bob.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in agreement with Ben. I like the way #1 sounded. It had a much fuller sound. The #2 file sounded thin to my ears, albeit VERY clean.
donrandall

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go with #1. The difference is minor, but it did sound more clear and clean to me. I almost forgot to listen for any differences resulting from equimpment - I was once again awe struck by the talent. Bob - I am jealous!
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

I know it's a bit late in commenting on this one, but I preferred #2. Sibilance wasn't as pronounced, and it seemed to have a bit more presence to my ears.

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoda117 wrote:
Bob,

I know it's a bit late in commenting on this one, but I preferred #2. Sibilance wasn't as pronounced, and it seemed to have a bit more presence to my ears.

Greg,

Thanks for weighing in. The guys at the studio agree with you and that's the processing we're now using for all of my work with them.
+1-724-613-2749
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

it is a bit of a standard in the industry.

Since you've been around the block a few times with this, maybe you can recommend some good choices to go along with my Trakker and Lil' FrEQ that I'm putting into the new recording space?

I'm seriously considering a Wunder PEQ1-R, but not sure if I should just go with something more widely recognized/used in the industry.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

I'm so far behind you in my knowledge of these really serious toys that I don't have anything worthwhile for you. The man you want to ask is Kevin Genus. He's already forgotten more than I'll ever learn about this stuff. Smile
+1-724-613-2749
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the tech part I've got down pretty well.

Still working to bring the acting part up to par with the tech knowledge... while I know I have a better than average voice and a pretty impressive range, I'll be damn dangerous when the two finally work together better, lol.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: