VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tubes for mics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gp

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Tubes for mics Reply with quote

After the post about switching tubes in the V69 I had to try it too. It's amazing but there are hundreds.....at least it seems like hundreds of choices. Get the mullard they say....but which mullard.
I ordered several tubes in a lot shortly after hearing the test that was done here. I got some no name brand, a mullard, a sylvania, and a radioshack. I wasn't all that impressed with those. Although there was increase in clarity it was now a little thin sound wise. I wanted something richer and warmer.
So I ordered another mullard and 2 telefunkens. This time the mullard was a gold pinned one and the 2 tele's were used. The mullard was still too thin. I tried the telefunkens and got great sound....leave it to the old time German engineers to know how to make things nice. However, the tele tubes (not to be confused with tele tubbies) are noisy.......so it's back to the drawing board.
There are tele's out there that are quieter and those are usually followed with an "S" (for select) in the model number...but they are hard to find.
Now it's on to the next one.....I've just ordered a new tung sol tube..( I should say that most of all these tubes are designed for preamps and stuff and not necessarily mics) This one is reviewed as "Big, warm and musical. High gain, ultra-low microphonics, and superb linearity with a dynamic 3-D sound."
We shall see what it sounds like in the next few days.
There are a few more to try...(and tubes are relatively inexpensive)...
For instance the Groove Tube tubes and another reproduction tube called the silver bullet.
I'll let you all know how this new one works out.
Gp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: