VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any Of You Guys Using Izotope's Ozone?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
richgates

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Any Of You Guys Using Izotope's Ozone? Reply with quote

I am trying to decide if I want to buy it, but I am having some challenge getting it to sound good. It definitely is feature rich, but even from a technical guy like me it seems overly complex.

I would love to use T-RackS but unfortunately it will be March before they release the Universal Binary version and I need a stop gap solution for now when I'm submitting auditions.

Thanks,

Rich
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the free trial. It blended well with my Adobe Audition software. Plus, I thought it did some nice effects and compression. However, NOT so great as to justify the $200+ price tag.

Just my opine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
davediamondprovo
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Ozone Reply with quote

Yeah I spent some time with it http://www.davediamondonline.com/promote/ozone/ at the behest of a client who wanted to use it for web broadcast processing. I'll tell you the same thing I told him, "Ask someone to scream in both your ears, it's quicker AND cheaper."

Now if you want some high quality DirectX plugins that'll knock your socks off with little tweaking necessary, check out:

http://db-audioware.com/dB-D-dynamics-processor-more.htm

AND

http://db-audioware.com/dB-L-mastering-limiter-more.htm

I use these two plugins exclusively in all pieces that leave my studio. You can get the bundle of 4 plugins for $99 and that's a freakin' steal if you ask me.

https://secure.element5.com/shareit/checkout.html?productid=132347

FWIW
richgates

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too bad those plugins are PC only. Frown I guess my issue at this point is I want my auditions to have the same punchiness that my demos do and I can't even seem to get close even though I have the same stuff as my producer. I know there are going to be some differences, but if you listen to the following you will know what I mean.

Commercial Demo
My Attempt

I don't expect to do production as good as the guy who did my demo I just want my auditions to have the same pop.
sdelgo
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,
what is your setup like for monitoring? what do you listen on?

Steve

www.steviedproductions.com
richgates

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll admit that is the weakest area of my setup right now. Primarily due to space constraints. I do all my monitoring on Sennheiser HD265 headphones.
sdelgo
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll be your starting point to getting a better overall sound. Find some quality monitors to start off with and set them up in room with proper acoustical treatment to achieve as flat a response as possible. Mixing with headphones just won't get "it" when referencing. They might be fine if you're doing some voice tracks and handing them off to a producer or mastering engineer.

Steve

www.steviedproductions.com
samowry
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richgates wrote:
It's too bad those plugins are PC only. Frown

Unless I'm missing something, if you go to support (menu tabs at the top of the page), they have a OSX version..
Another Mac guy who hates to miss out.
SamA
richgates

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

samowry wrote:
richgates wrote:
It's too bad those plugins are PC only. Frown

Unless I'm missing something, if you go to support (menu tabs at the top of the page), they have a OSX version..
Another Mac guy who hates to miss out.
SamA

They have an OSX version for one of the plugins but it appears that the ones that Dave mentioned are PC only.
richgates

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdelgo wrote:
That'll be your starting point to getting a better overall sound. Find some quality monitors to start off with and set them up in room with proper acoustical treatment to achieve as flat a response as possible. Mixing with headphones just won't get "it" when referencing. They might be fine if you're doing some voice tracks and handing them off to a producer or mastering engineer.

Steve

Thanks for the tips Steve. It might be a while before that can be a reality. The monitors could happen much sooner, but I don't have the ability to treat the room where my gear is currently.

All I want for now is just to get my voice over tracks to get to the same ballpark as my demos. I'm not even talking the production elements. Just the voice. I think the key is learning more about what frequencies to boost, compression, limiting, etc. I've reviewed that website you provided to me, and there was some good information. I just need to find someone here in San Diego who knows this stuff and will let me hire them for a couple of hours to help me tweak my setup.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

Our own Connie Terwilliger lives there in San Diego and has been working as a professional voiceover talent there for many years. Gregory Best, another member of the VO-BB, is also based in San Diego and has been working there a pretty long time.

I'm sure one or both of these folks can point you in the direction of a studio that could work with you.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
richgates

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, I will send a message to Connie. We've been chatting a bit already.
donrandall

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Diamond recommended the dbAudioware plugins.

For anyone that needs and can use directX plugins, the dbAudioware stuff is very, very good. Easy to figure out and use - always a plus - and the price is low enough to put the products in the "hey, I just got more than I paid for" category.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: