VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Basement Finishing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Basement Finishing Reply with quote

Not sure if anyone has any experience with this product/service....however, to free up some space in my house and to create more living and studio space I am looking at Owens Corning basement finishing systems. They are supposed to have good acoustic characteristics since their wall material is fiberglass. The walls also are mold and mildew resistant.

Has anyone had any experience finishing a basement into a large studio or room with Owens Corning or a similar product?

Here is their site:

http://www.owenscorning.com/around/bfs/

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have experience with this system but it certainly is mouth-watering. They even have a picture that speaks to us somewhat: http://www.owenscorning.com/around/bfs/idea_gallery_media.asp# (lower right).

We have been talking about adding on, for years, and are so tempted to dig up the yard and put extra basement in, then turf it over Smile If you do decide to Corning your basement, please take lots of pictures!!
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary, I sure will. Since I also do video production, I will be able to write off the "client viewing area" shown in the picture you pointed out and equipment as a business expense. I will just have to be good and not use it for personal use other than business..... Bitchin Bitchin

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
Gp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben, That type of insulation will offer some sound deadening but it's not going to isolate things all that much. It offers a minimal sound dampening. There are a couple of other things you can do. Add a barrier....as talked about here http://www.soundsuckers.com/barriers.htm#sb1 Check out the liquid at the bottom. also there is a product that you can use under the sheetrock called z channel (I think) There is also a product called....quiet rock. Contact a local drywall supply company and they can help you even more.
Good Luck
Gp
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the "z channel" GP refers to is known as resilient channel as well. You'll see mention of it on all kinds of studio building sites.
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where I work, we've used the liquid soundblocker and I have to admit when I first saw it, I just didn't think anything of it because I mean, it was basically paint from the initial description.

But the stuff works, so you've got a vote in the "worth checking out" category here.

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcm wrote:
I don't have experience with this system but it certainly is mouth-watering. They even have a picture that speaks to us somewhat: http://www.owenscorning.com/around/bfs/idea_gallery_media.asp# (lower right).

OOOOOOOOO I like this....excuse me as I drool on my keyboard!

Liz
CWToo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice that only one chair in the picture is actually pointed at the TV?

My mother-in-law has a small room in her house with acoustic tile on the ceiling and the walls lined with books. It is one of the best-sounding rooms I've ever heard. Or read, for that matter.
steveanthony
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had it put in last summer. The room is 18 x 20 and is used as a family room. The acoustics are great, but as stated, there's no isolation. Along with the acoustic properties, the other big selling point for us was the time frame to completion (it was done in 2 weeks). PM and I'll be glad to answer specific questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: