VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apogee Mini-Me

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Apogee Mini-Me Reply with quote

Now that the Mini Me is out in Firewire was thinking about grabbing one. Anyone here use the Mini-Me? If so, what are your thoughts?

Russ
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't resist Laugh

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! I was waiting for that.Smile
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I could live up (or down... depending on your point of view) to your expectations.

Seriously though, I've not played much with the Mini-Me, but those who have, love it for the most part.

That said, most Apogee converters impart a bit of HF color to your source (just like an Avalon 737 does). So long as you're aware of it, there shouldn't be a problem.

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Apogee Mini-Me Reply with quote

VO-Guy wrote:
Now that the Mini Me is out in Firewire was thinking about grabbing one. Anyone here use the Mini-Me? If so, what are your thoughts?

Russ

I've been using the Mini-Me as my pre/converter for a couple of years now.

The only issue I've had with it is that the built in compressor gives a hard edge to my voice that I never really liked, so I leave it switched out. I leave the soft limit on though. That works well.

Another issue which is potentially a problem is that if you output at 16bits the unit uses the UV22 process to reduce the bit rate down from its standard 24 (I think. Maybe higher?). This leaves no artifacts on the signal processed this way, but they recommend that the signal not then be further processed as it could then introduce some artifacts. I've not found this to be a problem, but it's something to remember if you're going
to be sending out dry voice for further production work.

Maiku

"If grass could run, cows would look like tigers."
Murray Wiggle
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all this info....I've been tossed between the MOTU Traveler and the mini-me......The Traveler is cheaper and has more ins and outs....the mini-me is more expensive....has much less ins and outs, has a great reputation, but seems to have some idiosyncrasies where the MOTU Traveler doesn't seem to have any.

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
Former Commandant of the Marine Corps
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys thanks for the opinions and Michael, thanks for the insight from a users prospective I really appreciate it!

Russ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: