VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Give a Listen........then, Get Me an Agent!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandyg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Give a Listen........then, Get Me an Agent! Reply with quote

For those of you who have followed the doings under the Chat section of this site, I'm the guy who started a correspondence series under the heading of "Finding an Agent". Along the way, it has evolved into my receiveing a few suggestions that I present my Commercial Demo Rell for critique since I've not received any responses in over a year of sending out my demo reel. So-o-o-o... here it is.

It's been professionally created at my voice-over coaches studio in New York City. Prior to its recording, I took several one-on-one voice over classes. I've also returned several times to attend workshops attended by the cream of talent agents and casting directors in the City.

If you've a mind to, please give a listen but............please be kind!

http:/www.vo-bb.com/demos/SandyGreenbergNYC.mp3

Sandy G
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want a critique or do you want us to be kind?

We'll assume you want an honest critique since it is far more valuable than the nebulous "kindness".

1) You have a fairly thick regional accent. This may be fine for getting work in those areas, but it may be a hindrance getting work in other regions or nationally. This isn't criticism, just an observation.
2) Your spots all kind of sound the same. There isn't much emotional variety in the spots or your reads. Often, I couldn't tell when one spot ended and another began. Try adding clips that have more dynamic range or break them up differently.
3) And here's the biggie. It sounded like you were reading. No other way to put it. I didn't get the feeling that you really believed the words. It didn't sound like you had much emotional commitment to the copy.

A good voice coach should be able to help you with all of these things and I hope you don't get turned off. You have an interesting voice and I'd be curious to see where it takes you. So stick around.
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy-- I'm going to have to agree with Jeff on all points. Your regional accent is charming, and when a casting director wants that accent, he/she really, really wants it! But it's a boutique sound that will reduce the amount of work you'll get over all. And if you can't do standard-American, unaccented English, most agencies won't sign you. The most you can hope for is to be in their pocket for instances when they need a guy with this specialty.

I'll also add to the mix that it appears that you have some kind of breath issue-- like you're running out of breath, or you have a mild respiratory condition. It's subtle, but it rears its head in, I think, all but one of your spots.

But you do have a cool sound. If I were you, I would stop sending out demo CD's at this point and sign up for one-on-one coaching with a DIFFERENT instructor, one who doesn't produce demos, if you can find one. You don't want there to be any financial motivation for the coach to have you do a demo before you're ready.

I'm not saying your present coach is bad, by the way-- I've never heard of him. I'm just thinking a fresh approach might take you to the next level. Concentrate on finding the real, conversational, non-reading sound. And if you want to work on the breath control issue, singing in the church choir, or taking a community college singing class are cheap and useful ways to work on that. And I hope you'll hang around here!

Good luck,
Amy

Last edited by asnively on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:03 am; edited 1 time in total
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I know Peter via a few different outlets, and, he was my coach and made all three of my demos.

Peter's a pretty honest guy when coaching - he doesn't mince words. Sometimes, though, not all coaches are for all people. Why don't you look into finding a different coach and see what they have to say? Another coach's approach might work better for you. Peter will understand - he's not opposed to students checking out other coaches.

Good luck Sandy! Caryn

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
sandyg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sincerely appreciate the honest opinions I've received thus far on my Commercial Demo Reel. And, if anyone else cares to venture in, please do. The more the.......Merrier?

Anyway, in addition to my earlier Commercial Demo Reel link, reachable here:

http://www.vo-bb.com/demos/SandyGreenbergNYC.mp3

I'd ask that you please give a listen to my brand new Narration Demo Reel and send an honest assessment, as well.

http://www.vo-bb.com/demos/SandyGreenbergNarr.mp3
Thanks again, to all.

Sandy G
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: