VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Telos Zephyr ISDN Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrkaiser

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Telos Zephyr ISDN Question Reply with quote

I've got the opportunity to pick up a Telos Zephyr Model 9202 Stereo codec for a reasonable price. I've been using Source Connect, however, have seen an increase in need for a dedicated ISDN line.

What is the going rate for a unit like this?

JK
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally about 15-hundred for a 9202 these days I believe.
JTVG
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure before you buy it that it will do "L3 Stereo" or "L2 Mono128" mode and contains a stereo DSP-5 card. Mine didn't and I had to drop another $500 for the card from Telos.

Also, not to be negative, but don't assume once you hook the unit up to a newly installed line that all will be peachy. I've had more trouble than I care to admit over the last 2 months dealing with intermittant dropouts. This technology is very hard to troubleshoot especially with an intermittant problem and the phone comapny doesn't seem to know much about using ISDN for voice like we do. After numorous tests, a Zephyr repair and tune-up by Telos, and hours on hold with the phone company, I'm still dealing with problems and had to call the phone company today to investigate.

All that to say, make sure your patience level is high before you embark on this journey. It'll drive you nuts if you let it.

Here's hoping your connection will be rock solid!
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interface card that's standard on the US issue Zephyrs is called an NT-1. Gives the "U" interface that you need for domestic US ISDN connection as well at the European S/T type.

If you do get one without that card I believe yuou can solve the problem with an ISDN modem. I'm no expert on that issue though.

Just quoting from personal experience.

The DSP card is a must especially since L2-MONO-128 is pretty much the
the default setting or most sessions.
MelissaVoicer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JK, the unit you mention is the exact one I've had and used for years...with no problems at all...well except when I fried it leaving it plugged in during a lightning storm...had to send it back to Telos for repair.
jrkaiser

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the reply I received... "I imagine this unit will do all you need it to. It is configured as "9202 Stereo Layer II & III." It was being used to feed FM program audio for a while until the station got their STL issues worked out. It has the ISDN S/U Interface card in it."

So, with that response in mind, will this work for what I need it to?

Justin
MelissaVoicer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JK, not knowing what all you need it to do, other than what the normal voicer does, I would say it will. As I said, it is the exact unit I currently use and have been using for about 6 or 7 years now. Good luck.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have much better luck getting tech support for ISDN issues directly from Telos or from Ednet.net than with the Telco. I recommend Ednet to my clients who don't want to have to deal with the hassle of ISDN ordering, installation, and troubleshooting.
Sounds like that box should do just fine for you. Glad to hear you are busy enough to justify the purchase!
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JTVG
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin,

One last thing that I'll add on this is make sure you're fairly close to the telephone company's central office before you order your line. You can't be more than 18,000 feet from the office (or possibly a repeater) or ISDN won't work.

Found out today that we're at 17,870 feet away, which explains my droupout problems. I've since been told by directly by Telos that anything beyond 16,000 feet is sketchy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: