VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm Going Shopping!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenWils wrote:

Starts with i.....ends with ac.....and has an M in the middle. Get one.

They're all new and sweeter than ever!

They are beautiful no doubt. How's the noise factor on the new metal ones? The hard drive whined on my old teardrop model, and I've got a friend with last year's model and it's quieter but still too noisy for some VO work.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
cackerman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used 'em both. Finally went All-Mac-All-The-Time about 5 or 6 years ago. Got a Pro Mac G5 Dual Processor that is PERFECT for ProTools and Source Connect (pretty cool for Doom 3, too). But that's just the Old Hippy in me talking. All kinda depends on how much you want to spend....and what you need. What I really want is a t-shirt that says, "For Voiceover, Macs Rule!". But I'm not prejudiced or anything.
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce,

Actually I have not used one before. I have a Mac Pro Intel quad core and it is a peach. I should say....the new iMacs do look great and once I need to buy another computer (for home use only) the iMac would be at the top of my list to check out along with a Mac Book Pro laptop.

And yes....just in case anyone out there is not all that familiar with the iMac....you do NOT have a tower to deal with. It's much like a laptop with all the hardware installed in the beautiful, glossy, glass monitor that sits on a stand. The standard 20" model is $1199 and the standard 24" model is around $1799. I am not sure if you would want one in your booth with you because the drives probably may make some usual hard drive noises as most all computers do. Check them out for yourself though and decide if it fits your needs....much like any piece of new gear.

Also now there is a new program called Fusion 1.0 which allows for virtualization of operating systems. So Windows and PC only programs have become even easier to run on an Intel Mac. I believe Fusion 1.0 is out of beta and on the market for $79. Pretty slick indeed.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
davidmonteath
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really not getting into platform wars, honestly..... but just for info.

I have a second monitor in my booth which duplicates the screen on the iMac on my desk, Ihave run a firewire cable from my mixer and a usb cable for mouse and keyboard from the booth. I use Apple Logic to record. All very handy when I want to edit from a little more comfort and space.

It is a very simple effective set-up which also allows me to route the signal from Skype though the main mic and headphones and use it as a phone patch.

Just thought you might want to know.

Sponsor of Voice APpreciation Indulgence Day 2010

Proud member of Self Appointed Voice-Over Experts Discussion Group - overenthusiastic pontification a speciality.
Jeffers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidmonteath wrote:
...and a usb cable for mouse and keyboard from the booth. ...

But if you went Bluetooth that would absolutely ROCK!!!

Jeffers
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the penetration with bluetooth? I'm thinking the walls of a booth are pretty dense and I'd worry there might be issues with reception.
davidmonteath
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The booth walls are standard 5" brick with 65mm acoustic foam........wait till I get to the new one.!!!!!!

I have thought about using bluetooth and it does work, very well.

I am just avoiding the annoyance of batteries running out mid way through a session, and it would - sure as eggs are ovoid.

In practical terms, it makes no real difference, I have 3 vital cables running out of the booth, 1 usb doesn't cause me any problems.

Sponsor of Voice APpreciation Indulgence Day 2010

Proud member of Self Appointed Voice-Over Experts Discussion Group - overenthusiastic pontification a speciality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: