VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another try at getting rid of the noise!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MelissaVoicer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Another try at getting rid of the noise! Reply with quote

Well, thank you Banksy for your trans-atlantic isdn help, but I'm still having issues. We have determined that it is in fact a problem with the fact that I have to boost my gain so high on MY end in order to get my RECORD LEVELS up to an acceptable level...however, on ISDN, Banksy had my levels really hot when they're just normal recording here. I have no idea what could cause this. Anyhoo...here is a raw sample of my current settings...and one fixed up hard limited, with noise reduction and an icky noise gate that I don't want to have to use.

raw sample:
http://www.melissavoiceover.com/AudioFiles/test2.mp3

fixed sample:
http://www.melissavoiceover.com/AudioFiles/test2fixedup.mp3

opinions???
MelissaVoicer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what we've established is that the level going into the ISDN--at that point in the chain--is fine...it's somewhere between that and the computer (I.e. the Firebox) that is the problem??? So I might get a "replacement" for the Firebox over at Guitar Center to test that theory and see if it improves...if it doesn't I'll just return it. What does anyone suggest I buy as an alternative to the Firebox?
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had some technical knowledge, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Where are the experts when you need them?
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't done so, dig around the Presonus.com forums for Firebox info. There's all kinds of odd things with the Firebox, as in they discovered that it doesn't record at 24/96 and that the line outputs are too hot and they're going to tweak them in the future.
MelissaVoicer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update is that I bought a Presonus FirePOD (preamp and interface in one) and am waiting to find time/guts to hook it up and see if it helps. Smile
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard good things about the Mackie Onyx 400F rackmount if you don't want to get a ProTools Digi unit. I have not used one... just heard they work nicely from someone.

The unit is about $700 and includes 4 mic pre-amps and coverter/interface. Mackie usually does a decent job with whatever they make, for the most part.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
MelissaVoicer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ben, I went presonus, not protools...because of litigation with apple (i.e. FIREwire and i POD) this unit is marked down from 800 to 300! So I hope it works out! Will let you know tonight hopefully.
TheVoiceOfBob
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Firebox does need some help if used by itself. My best results have been by using a preamp in front of it and jacking into either the 3rd or 4th channel since those bypass the built in (slack) preamp circuit. That reduces noise and increases the output of the Firebox so that no additional gain is needed, such as using the control panel software.

You can jack in a preamp to the 1st or 2nd channel too but that just adds the (slack) preamps into the circuit and introduces some noise.

I've heard better results using the FirePod. You definitely improved your equipment chain.

The Voice of Bob
MelissaVoicer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your lips to you know where, Bob. I have been using the 3 input with the preamp so I guess I have been doing all I can, but I hope the POD helps
TheVoiceOfBob
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melissa,
I'm very interested in what you discover when you hook it up. Please keep us/me informed.

The Voice of Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: