VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quality difference between 16bit & 32bit on an .mp3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Quality difference between 16bit & 32bit on an .mp3 Reply with quote

So....

I just got asked to supply the following format:

(this is copied from the radio station's email):
44100 Hz
32-bit
(MPEG Layer-3, 192 Kbps)
Stereo
(mp3)

Now....I generally record in 16bit/44.1 whick I always thought was "Broadcast Quality"

I can certainly create a 192K stereo .mp3, but even if I use Sound Forge to "Convert bit depth" to 32 it won't let me save it as such.

They have accepted to get the 192 .mp3 with 16bit, but but I was just wondering for the future:

Is there an audible quality difference between 16bit & 32bit on an .mp3?

Liz
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz,

I'm not in front of my rig right now, but if you use File > New to create a new recording, won't it allow you to choose which bitrate, etc. at which you want to record it?

That just popped up out of the cobwebs, but I remember that being the case for me a few times. If I just click on the "new" icon on the toolbar, it automatically creates a new window without asking for which settings I'd like to use. However, if I do the File > New (or CTRL-N), it'll ask me for the settings.

Not sure if that's how it is in your version.
VO-BB Member #59
sdelgo
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can certainly create a 192K stereo .mp3, but even if I use Sound Forge to "Convert bit depth" to 32 it won't let me save it as such.

The 32bit floating point is just an extra 8 bits added to aid in the mathematical calculations your computer has to make to divide the material into the possible "points of resolution". Technically it will only save the file as 24 or 16 bit but should be able to be converted to 32bit (depends on your DAW and sound interface)

Quote:
Is there an audible quality difference between 16bit & 32bit on an .mp3?

The human ear won't notice it and the "audience" won't notice it either. When converting an audio file to mp3 there is compression added to the file to fit the parameters of the mp3 format, in doing so you give up some sonic resolution.

16bit vs. 24bit recording. think of it this way:

At 16-bit, you're looking at around 65,000 possible points of resolution.
(your audio material can be divided up amongst 65,000 points or resolution)

At 24-bit, you're looking at 16.7 million points. (16.7million possible points of resolution for your audio)

So...
Recording at 24bits lets you have a better signal to noise ratio (softer material can be heard without alot of noise)...so you don't have to record "hot" which is a no-no. You have a heck of alot more headroom to do your post processing(eq, reverb, compression , limiting etc... all of which add db to the material)

Bottom line is... record at the highest bit depth possible usually 24bit and a higher sample rate if you choose... say 96khz. Save the file as 24/96 or 16/44 and then just convert it to 32bit in AA (just to satisfy the client).

Doesn't sound like the radio station knows what they want either... if it's mp3 they want, they should be asking for 320kbps instead of 192kbps.

Final thought: CD Quality is:16/44.1 Smile

Steve

www.steviedproductions.com
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the above, the client must be using Adobe Audition. AA uses floating point 32 bit (really 24 bit) with it's multitrack. So "saving" your file in 24 bit, 192 mbps, stereo is a simple task.

Record as usual only in 24 bit (if your sound card can handle it), convert to stereo, save as: 24 bit 192 .mp3, stereo. It's that simple.

However, I would ask your client if they are using Adobe Audition. It will help for future projects to know why the unique parameters. You probably do not need to explain to the cleint the differences - however you may if you so desire.

Many clients do not know or will not have a clue as to what you are talking about. Some "Certified Pro Tools abusers", do not understand the differences between products or even .aiff, .wav, .mp3 and ,mpa,, .m4v, aac, etc. Hope that helps.

Have fun and enjoy!

F2
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SO much guys!
I really appreciate all the info!
I love it when I learn stuff!

L.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: