VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microphone (and environment) feeback

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBarrett
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Microphone (and environment) feeback Reply with quote

After trying out a few different mics at the local Guitar Center today, I walked away with an AKG Perception 400. To provide the power of the phantom and better deliver the signal to the computer, a Presonus Inspire GT firewire preamp/interface was purchased as well. It was a breeze to hook up to my MacBook, and I was blissfully recording cheesy test clips in no time. However, I wanna know how it really holds up in terms of sound quality.

I've posted a raw sample recording (WAV format), with the the mic on a stand in my "booth" (walk-in closet), and would appreciate feedback on the sound. Is the room coming through too much? Do I need to EQ the audio a bit to emphasize or de-emphasize certain frequencies? Would this sound (with any appropriate tweaking) be suitable for auditions and/or final work? I realize now (after recording and posting) that my slightly-less-than-normal speaking volume will affect how this clip is perceived, but other tests with a more normal speaking level -- and all other recording settings the same -- have the sound peaks just short of maximum. In all these tests, I've been about 5 to 6 inches away from the mic, with a metal pop screen splitting the distance about in half.

(Apologies if this would better fit in the Critique forum. My thinking is that even though feedback is desired, this is more about tech stuff.)
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think two things about this: One, please do open a new thread in the critique section. Two, please convert your file to an .mp3.

That being said, I don't really hear the boxiness, what I do hear is some pumping, similar to a compressor working harder than it should.

The audio is a bit thin, something I believe you might be able to fix by speaking louder or closer to the mic (the Perception is best used approximately three to 4 inches from your mouth). When I say thin, I mean that it is not "solid", sounding a bit weak, and feels like you are trying to make the mic work - rather than allowing the mic to pick up the sound. This may be caused by your setting on the pre-amp, but I do not know until I hear a more solid closer sound from you and your microphone.

A lot of the above comments regards the "feel" of the sound, not necessarily the sound itself.

Don't get me wrong - the sound is clean and clear - it's how you use the equipment you have which will make the difference.

O.K.; 'nuff said, please create a new thread in the critique section.

Toodles

F2
JBarrett
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments, Frank. I'll record a new clip tonight (time permitting) and post an MP3 to the Critiques forum. (I went with a WAV for this 'cause I thought it would be best to hear the un-compressed sound, sans artifacts. My bad.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: