VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gain with a Phone Patch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Gain with a Phone Patch Reply with quote

I have a super nifty TI-101 that I have hooked up finally. The person on the other end can hear me all right, but it's low volume.

I'm not really sure how to increase the gain to the phone patch without blowing my mixer-- and/or needing to reset everything for my normal work.

I've split the signal leaving my 528 processor so that one side feeds the mixer and the other feeds the TI-101. The output of the TI-101 goes to another channel on my mixer.

I suppose I can adjust the daylights out of the whole audio chain.
I don't really know how to make the "null" adjustments, either--frack! I feel like I'm failing my geekiness.

I think I need a phone pal--or "patient friend" as the user's manual call it. Anyone up for a call later tonight or tomorrow morning?
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB, you might need a little ditty from my French Electronics Distributor... Rrra-y-d-e-o Sh-a-a-ck. It's darn expensive, but it works.. about $22.00 USD. Click here to find out more...
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2123183&cp=2032052.2032075.2032077.2032093&parentPage=family

Or, you can go the professional route and get a pre-amp for the phone line... (about ($60.00 USD, Behringer Ultra Gain - Musicians Friend)... but then again, you could spend a lot more and be the ultimate pro with an Avalon vt 737sp.... about $2000.00 USD...

Your choice....

Frank F
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Frank,

The TI101 already has a built in amplifier so adding an additional one would be a bit redundant (at least I think it would :oops: ).

In your experience, if you're running the patch through your mixer, should you be running it through a line channel or an aux return channel?
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redundant YES! Does it work... not all the time... a line amplifier is the way to go - if you can find one. That's why the RS wonder is the easy fix... I have an old Symetrix SX203 which had the same problem with line volume - my side was nice, the callers side was almost non-existant - with current telephone protocols.

Bought the RS Wonder fix and it works, then decided to be a Pro, and bought a pre-amp - it works also, just more pricey. Went back to the RS Wonder fix and still use it - really.

Current telephones are using a secondary amp inside the handset which amplifies the signal when used with the inexpensive "speaker" (most models created after 1996) inside, this allows the phone company to send lower audio levels (and more of them) down a twisted pair. Also, if you are using xDSL, the little coupler used to seperate the signals will cause line volume loss. Although the pre-amp used in the T101 is good, it cannot compensate for the changed levels currently implemented.

For those using VOIP as a source for your POTS style services, consider the amount of signal which is coming into your line, and how it is processed. If you choose to record your VOIP phone conversation digitally - you will hear the packet separation. However, if you record your VOIP conversation using an analog output from the VOIP phone, then record digitally, you will not get the packet loss or seperation - you will also not get the volume needed unless you use an external amplifier prior to the record stage.

Now that I have thoroughlly confused you as to "phone" protocols - the answer is YES and NO!

Also, as to the mixer portion... I put mine into a spearate line channel, then record that "track" from a seperate input. Thus giving me seperate 'tracks' in my recording software... This gives me reference when editing - if I need it.... (what take did they really like, which one really sucks???). Many folks use the Aux choice, I do not - it's really something you have to choose for yourself and your personal work habits.

Hey, this is only MY $.02 worth... Each person should devolop their own style and choices as to how they work with their equipment.

Frank F
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: