VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

static, crackling, popping sound

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: static, crackling, popping sound Reply with quote

So, I'm recording a big long job this morning for a client, and all of the sudden, completely out of nowhere, I hear...

crackle, crackle, static.

Then it's gone.

But, as time passes, it got worse. I could see the interference as it happened on my Symetrix Downward Expander level (-db) lights. Couldn't hear it on the audio, to my knowledge. It mainly happened during playback of the audio, but eventually, it did happen while recording, just a couple of times, and it did end up on my audio... but it wasn't consistent. It didn't end up on my audio every time.

I called my engineer friend here locally, and he said to shutdown and restart everything. So I did. It went away for a while, but then came back. Now I'm not recording at all, just sitting here with the phones on, and it's doing it. Again, not all the time... it comes and goes.

Is it the mic cable? If it is, wouldn't I hear it on the audio every time it happened?

Could it be hot equipment? I noticed when I opened the doors to my studio, it got better. Though I'm sitting with them wide open now, and I still hear it from time to time. It kinds works itself up too... starts out just a little "crackle" then eventually it's "CRACKLE, POP, POP"... then it's gone.

No thunderstorms around here today. Is it a bad outlet? I just had this outlet installed a few months back.

Here's what I have:
computer
computer monitor
Sennheiser MKH 416
Symetrix 528E
Telos Zephyr XStream (off)
MBox2
Behringer Xenyx 802 Board
Sony Headphones plugged into the board

Everything's plugged into a Monster Power Professional Power Center Pro 1000.

Any ideas??? THANKS!!

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
jasbart
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse the dumb suggestion, but is your cell phone on or off?

Jim
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, it's off. And, not a stupid question... at one point, I thought it was my cordless phone affecting it, so I put it far away.

I've now unplugged everything (but not everything off the back of the computer... just the other equipment). I have levels, but cannot hear them. I plugged in my mp3 player headset to the back of the computer, and stil can't hear anything.

I think it's the soundcard.

Agree? Disagree?

I'm on the phone with Sweetwater now.

I can't believe this just happens out of the blue. And I have work due today. Oh boy.

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
JTVG
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had a Behringer condenser mic that would pop, crackle and whine like it was possessed by something evil. Now granted, I've since found that most Behringer gear is evil right out of the box, but this particular noise was extra bad. Wink Played for a couple of engineer types that had never heard anything like it. My guess is the condenser was faulty. May or may not be the same reason you're hearing noise.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caryn's problem has diminished.

It appears she had a cable not fully seated going from the pre-amp to the mixer. Fully seat the cable and vwalla, she is back in business.

Caryn discovered this all by herself. She is definitely a winner in this guy's book.

Oh, Caryn discovered her solution after the guy from S********r (the company who sold her the computer) told her to reinstall ProTools because the drivers were not right.

Sometimes it's the simplest things which really foul us up, is it not?

Joe, sorry to hear about your problems with Behringer products; although I do not use them all the time or for everthing I do with audio, the Behringer products I use have always served me faithfully.

Toodles

F2
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I wish it were that easy. I can't take those kudos Frank!!! Rolls Eyes

Actually, my problem is still here. Cry The cable not being fully connected was why I wasn't hearing the audio while I was recording (D'OH!!!!), but I still get the random snap, crackle pop, and it occasionally leaks into the recording.

Another engineer recommended I turn the knobs and buttons on my Symetrix to "clean" them. Did that. Definitely better, but still have the snap, crackle pop... just less of it.

So, I'm thinking it's either the cable from the mic to the Symetrix, or the one from the Symetrix to my board, OR (sigh) the Symetrix itself. I bought it used...

Frank and I tested the Behringer board... I think it's ok.

Sweetwater actually called me back (a different guy... he realizes my problem isn't fixed and wants to work on it with me, whether I bought all the stuff from there or not... which is nice, b/c the first guy wasn't interested in helping me once he supposedly narrowed down that what was malfunctioning wasn't anything they had sold me, so he thought) and he thinks it could be my MBox2 (which I did buy from Sweetwater).

I have a friend who had this same snap, crackle problem, and it did turn out to be her soundcard (which, I'm gathering, is in the MBox2.... right?) So I'm not ruling that out.

So, as soon as the music store opens this am, I'm off to buy new cables to see if that's my problem. I might see if they'll let me take/buy an MBox2 so I can switch mine out and see if the problem is resolved (as long as I can bring it back... they're pretty cool about returns there).

FUN!!

JTVG
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a different mic to try?
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, no.

sdelgo
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Here's what I have:
computer
computer monitor
Sennheiser MKH 416
Symetrix 528E
Telos Zephyr XStream (off)
MBox2
Behringer Xenyx 802 Board
Sony Headphones plugged into the board

Everything's plugged into a Monster Power Professional Power Center Pro 1000.

The way to find the source of the problem IMO would be to...
A: Check the cables first. Sounds like you checked a few but test 'em all by re-seating them or out right swapping them all out.

B: Re-build the audio chain from the Mic on up until you hear the noise... or take the existing setup and start eliminating the gear in the chain until the noise stops.

From what you described it could be a number of things from dirty pots to a failed capacitor. So isolate which piece of gear it is first and go from there.

Steve

www.steviedproductions.com
Charles Nove
Contributor III

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing worth checking: do you keep your mic powered all the time? Some condenser mics are very prone to condensation forming on the diaphragm and causing horrible noises when the mic is exposed to temperature fluctuations. I always recommend keeping the mic powered 24/7 to avoid this.

www.charlesnove.com
For ISDN links with London: www.a1vox.com
For scenic tours of London by Routemaster bus: www.ThisBus.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: