VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with a pre-am XP compatible

View previous topic :: View next topic  
patfraley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Help with a pre-am XP compatible Reply with quote

Help, please. One of my students bought a M-Audio Mobile-Pre, and is having problems being compatible with Windows XP. They returned it. Being a MAC guy, I need a recommendation on a pre-am from 150-250 dollar that is Windows XP compatible and "clean."

Much Appreciated, Pat Fraley
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

first off, you never return my IMs... boo! Sticking out Tongue

seriously though, have the student check that they have the latest XP drivers for that device. Earlier ones were a bit buggy with XP (they want version 5.10).

Okay, $150-250 range: ART Tube MP is okay, but I've had hit or miss experience with it.

For that price range, I prefer the Edirol UA-25. It's a revamp of an old classic (UA-20) . I don't recommend it for dynamic mics, so if they're using an RE-20 or RE-27, you might have some issues.

Personal recommendation. IF they're a student and have proper ID, get an Mbox 2 or Mbox 2 pro using an educational discount. Quick way to get them into using PT (provided their computer is compatible). This is over their budget, but might be worth it

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the ART Tube USB preamp and have great results with it. I've heard you can upgrade the tube if you want a different sound. Works great with ASIO4ALL for optimal use with Adobe Audition. $100.
TheVoiceOfBob
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,
I"m with Jeff on this one. The ART Tube MP can be a nice little unit when the tube is swapped out for one of the long plate 12AX7s or any of the other "vintage" style tubes. Even swapping out for a Groove Tube designed like a Mullard or any of the other black plate tubes makes a world of difference. The combined price of the ART Tube MP and a well designed replacement tube stays within the given budget.

The Voice of Bob
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, if you only are looking for a pre-amp and not the digital interface converter.....forget about changing tubes or messing around and get a Rane MSB1 for less than $150 and forgettaboutit.
Willie Edwards
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jowillie wrote:
Pat, if you only are looking for a pre-amp and not the digital interface converter.....forget about changing tubes or messing around and get a Rane MSB1 for less than $150 and forgettaboutit.
Willie Edwards

How do you plug that into your PC though?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: