VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Invoice2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Invoice2 Reply with quote

Billing. Some love it, other hate it. Personally, I'm somewhat removed from the entire process, but I often receive the question regarding my approach as it pertains to voiceovers. Since 2004 I used Quicken products (Quickbooks and Quicken), as instructed by my accountant, because it reduced the overall punch for both business and personal tax based migrains at year end . While the feature set of Quickbooks is absolutely amazing, let's face it, I'm not sending quotes and figuring out just how great a percentage of a project I can obtain, additionally, when you have to go through more than four screens to entire an invoice, it's overkill. My desire for simplicity won out and I began looking for something different, ending up with a $49 USD Mac based product called Invoice2 by Kedisoft*.

Invoice2 is by far, one of the most simplistic tools I have used, that produces the informational and requirements I need. Having used the Mac OS X for roughly over a year, I still love the fact that the Address Book is not within the email client. Invoice2 allows you to use the Address Book for its client information so you need only update one records; However, this product also contains an internal address book so you are not solely reliant on the integrated Mac Address Book. Initial setup is quick - enter your company information, design your custom invoice layout if you're not into the default invoice layout and begin entering invoices. If you need to track hours, you have the option of creating Tasks assigned to a Project. Usage is very simple - select the the client, add a line item (you have the option of creating a new invoice with manually inserted information or from a catalog of services you have created), print to "Hobo LaughingF Email" and enter the recipient's email addy, cc'ing your invoice account**.

Obviously there are several things I do not like about the product, the main complaint being the lack of support for different currencies. While the product does support different currencies, it only supports one at runtime. Given our work is of a global nature, I find myself working with people in other countries on a routine bases and the software just does not support the ability to submit an invoice under a different currency, unless you change the preferences, base currency, in which you are working. This could actually be seen as positive or negative based on the exchange rates, nonetheless, it's still an issue. The other issue is that it is not available on Windows, of course this is understandable given their design process.

Altough I've never used the support, they've got loads of screenshots and webscasts on their site. They are quite thorough and videos seem to be as much an instructional aid as a sales tool these days. You can rest assured that it's pretty much idiot proof.

For the price, it's highly effective and has seriously streamlined my entire approach. When I put the audio on my FTP server, the invoice goes in the basket with the attached script. Makes my life simple, which is what I was after. Sure, I lost out on some of the features in Quickbooks, but I no longer have my CPA explaining, rather nagging, that I'm the bottleneck in the process and it's become just that a process.

Hope this helps.

* www.Kedisoft.com

** The invoice account is the email address you set up that only receives your invoices so you have a timestamp stating when that email was sent so you have a reference timestamp for the usual suspects.
davidmonteath
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a really great find, many thanks for posting.

Do you know if its possible to import details from Quickbooks?

I am a bit of a records freak and I would hate to lose the details that I already have.

Sponsor of Voice APpreciation Indulgence Day 2010

Proud member of Self Appointed Voice-Over Experts Discussion Group - overenthusiastic pontification a speciality.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I made a clean cut to the new software, I would have to seriously dobut if an import would exist, there's just far too much information in the QB database.
Don G.
King's Row

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this, Kevin. I used to regularly check for good invoicing programs to use with my Mac, and can honestly say I had tried them all. Some were clearly better than others and some came very close to filling the need, but something was always lacking; usually something fairly important to me. Finally I gave up and created my own hybrid Filemaker system, utilizing some of the templates out there and customizing specific fields for my needs. Still, not being a programmer (or even a Filemaker expert), I often find myself wishing for certain little features that are beyond my capabilities to create.

I hadn't heard of this program yet, as it appears to be fairly new, so I look forward to giving it a trial run with my fingers crossed. And hey, if it doesn't do it all for me, I still have my old faithful. Smile
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this... it comes at a time when I was just thinking about all of this. Unfortunately, I'm on a PC. I have downloaded that free version of QuickBooks, but I hesitate to use it for the reasons you mentioned... it's overkill. My accountant would love for me to use it though... but I'm not going to do it just to appease him. Anyway, if anyone has any alternatives to QuickBooks for the PC, post 'em here.

Thanks for posting this!!

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caryn,

I'm using Quickbooks, but if I were starting now I'd go with the "home and business" version of Quicken instead. Much less bloat. Better interface and customization of forms. Much less expensive.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

less bloat is mo' betteh indeed.
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the home and business version of Quicken for years. Haven't explored any other alternatives because I haven't found a reason to. You can do all of your personal stuff and business invoicing in the program and it doesn't suffer from overkill. If it's lacking anything I need - well I guess I haven't needed it, 'cause it works well for me.

m
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool... thanks! I'll check it out!

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
jasbart
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Quicken Home & Business include invoicing? I just looked at the overview on the Quicken site and can't find a mention of it.

I've been using a simple program called My Deluxe Invoices for years (probably gone through 4 versions). It's not perfect, but I've learned to steer around the pitfalls. I'd love for invoicing and finance to be located in the same PC program.

Jim
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jim said: Does Quicken Home & Business include invoicing?

Yes it does. Simple invoicing but that's all I need - you can also customize the default invoice to a degree - and you can save them as a pdf file - I'm still using 2006 so there may be more features in the latest release. The only problem with quicken is you have to upgrade every few years because the company stops supporting online services for older products after a while.

I'd post a copy of the default invoice here if I knew how - but I can email it to you if you want to see what it looks like in .pdf

Here's a blurb from the help menu:

Quicken Premier Home & Business adds invoicing and invoice tracking to Quicken Deluxe. Now you can create customizable invoices without ever leaving Quicken. With the Forms Designer, you can customize your invoices, estimates, and credit statements in the following ways:

Control the size and placement of fields and columns
Add or remove fields and columns
Customize the text of headings for individual fields and columns
Control fonts for individual field and column headings
Add your own colorful logo
Print on your company letterhead
Fax or e-mail invoices directly to your customers (if you have the appropriate software
jasbart
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melissa:

I just emailed you about an example of the Quicken invoice.

Thanks, Jim
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to check out MYOB FirstEdge.
http://www.myob-us.com/firstedge/
I believe it is cross platform, as well. I am using AccountEdge because I need the extra features for my business. I am STILL using Quicken Home and Business, but haven't used the Invoicing feature for a few years. I just use it for all my banking as it syncs perfectly with BofA. Funny thing is I use it in Windows on my Mac with Parallels, since Quicken for Mac is pretty awful (or just completely different) compared to Windows.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: