VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Make 2008 "The year of the spine"
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Make 2008 "The year of the spine" Reply with quote

“Hello. My name is Marv’. I’m a voice talent and a victim of bullying”. So go the introductions around the room at the most recent meeting of Bullying Victims Anonymous or BVA. In LA there are groups specifically for voice over artists. Believe me? Of course it’s untrue but it ought to be true because the number of victims in the voice over world is huge. Combine insecurity, ego, desperation with a sprinkling of sycophancy and cowardice and you have the perfect target for a bully.

Make it your goal not to be a victim or a bully and watch yourself for declining standards of behaviour.

Here’s an example. An agency sends you an audition for a job but you notice that the fee is neither here nor there and that it’s a cattle call. You delete the audition and contact the agent requesting that they only contact you with jobs or when a client has specifically requested that you audition. Now, how many of you as you read the example started saying “ah but it doesn’t work like that” or “I don’t want to upset the agent” or “an audition is good practice”? Take a black marker pen and write VICTIM on your forehead, it’ll save people time. To quote Julia Robert’s character in Pretty Woman “I decide who, I decide when, I decide how much!” Look in the mirror and say it out loud.

The pay to play (audition) voice over web sites tell talent how much, when, where, how to but they pay talent NOTHING! Talent pays a site and then allows it to set the agenda. For $100, $200, $300 or more the site works for the voice NOT the other way around.

“I’m a voice over professional and I understand the way things are done”. No you don’t, you’ve just fallen into line. Try this line in the mirror “Oh no, I’ve become a coward” can you bear to repeat it? I hope not.

I’m certainly not saying become an arrogant, pompous moron but I am asking you to think about the way you behave and the way you are perceived. It is possible to stand your ground, let people see things from your point of view, don’t let people waste your time, money or talent ALL with a smile on your face and with an agreeable manner.

It's worth mentioning that this was written to be read as a sort of "pause for thought" and the comments made are based on some tough lessons I had to learn a few years ago.

Good luck for 2008
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip,

Thank you for these words of hard won wisdom. May your New Year be filled with much success, also.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip, this really resonates with me.

I have a few agents and a few who can't seem to make up their minds if they're my agent or not. The first agent I got sends auditions to tons of people, all listed in the To: line of the emails. I've sent dozens and dozens of auditions and got one gig - which was for a nice non-profit whose references to budget were so pathetic I waived the fee. The agent is still talking about getting a check out to me and doesn't seem to listen when I say I waived the fee and indeed doesn't seem to listen to much of anything. I haven't done anything with the audition announcements I've received in the past few weeks and the only difference it makes in my life is that I have more time for other things.

The lesson I've learned recently, and I'm embarrassed that it has taken this long to learn it (if indeed I really have learned it Embarrassed ) is that if somebody asks me to "demo" their script, they only get one iteration of takes (I might read it a couple of different ways right off the bat - and of course only part of the script). If they start asking if I can do it this way or that way after I've sent the initial take(s), then I need to put a stop to it and ask them to commit to hiring me or go away. Those people seem to be the ones most likely to just disappear anyway. I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences and policies.

As for the paying sites, I've never tried them. Most of my work comes from my own pounding of the payment. I appreciate your comments Philip, and take them to heart.
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of yesterday I've completely severed ties with the pay to play sites. Checking for new leads became a bit of an obsession and definitely a distraction. I did get some work through both but the time and effort invested in constantly sending auditions and quotes into the void was not worth it, IMHO. I am now working on fostering new relationships with clients that are interested in more than the bottom line.

Success to all in '08! Slow and steady winds the race and I've got the slow part nailed down. Wink
KaraEdwards
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip- very wise words...thank you.

Kara Edwards
http://www.karaedwards.com
kara@karaedwards.com
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
An agency sends you an audition for a job but you notice that the fee is neither here nor there and that it’s a cattle call. You delete the audition and contact the agent requesting that they only contact you with jobs or when a client has specifically requested that you audition.

exactly. the other options hold little weight, in comparison

Quote:
Now, how many of you as you read the example started saying “ah but it doesn’t work like that” or “I don’t want to upset the agent” or “an audition is good practice”? Take a black marker pen and write VICTIM on your forehead, it’ll save people time.

and if you can write backwards, even better, since then you'll be reminded whenever you look in the mirror.
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Year of the Spine".

I like that.
Moe Egan
4 Large

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polite Golf claps and a nod of appreciation to our Board Sage. Excellent words to start the new year off with Banksey!

VO is not a career choice for lemmings. However, there are many who would lead you to a precipice for fun or profit or out of insecurity. And there are plenty of sharks waiting to eat you up at the foot of that cliff.

Another reason why this place is so amazing. Here, signs are posted about common cliffs and if someone does go over the edge, someone else is here to pick them up and help them get up that hill again. ... God bless us everyone - especially DBs
Laugh
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stand your ground... or you'll have no ground to stand on.
Wink
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Make 2008 "The year of the spine" Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
Combine insecurity, ego, desperation with a sprinkling of sycophancy and cowardice...

Actually, it sounds a lot like the place I'm currently working.

/have taken time to explain to the problem children what I'm capable of doing to them
//we're getting along fine now... a brief demonstration was all that was required Smile

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Brett Mason
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Gambill
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Capitol idea, Mr. Bankes, something to work toward.
Mike Cain
Contributor III

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again Mr. Banks has put into words a credo we can all use.
From now on the VO-BB will stand for Voice Over-Back
Bone.
Thanks Philip
paddyo
CM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip,

I always love reading what you bring to this board. Thank you.

Paddyo
www.radiotheatrenyc.com
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Make 2008 "The year of the spine" Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
To quote Julia Robert’s character in Pretty Woman “I decide who, I decide when, I decide how much!” Look in the mirror and say it out loud.

I can appreciate the sentiment. But, Mr Banks, it's easy for someone in your position to say that. Getting there is the hard part. And without those "pay to play" sites and "talent agencies", many talent would go without work.

I Thnk a lot of people know that's where they need to be. It's getting there that's the hard part.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: