VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hum/Buzz when recording

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimRon
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Hum/Buzz when recording Reply with quote

This is new... getting a hum (or buzz) when recording. Never heard it before. Now all of a sudden i can hear it (and hear it loudly). Using a Sennheiser mic into a DBX 286A into an Alesis MultiMix8USB (connected via usb) into my dell running Vista and recording into audition 1.5.

It's only when recording into audition. if audition isn't recording, there's no buzz/hum. Maybe something got screwy with audition?

thanks for your help.

OY!!!

jim
Facebook: www.facebook.com/JimFeldmanVoiceovers
Brett Mason
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience w/ stuff you got....but just a suggestion to checki-checki your cabling. Using high quality shielded cables, right? Also, make sure no cables are crossing over power lines. And check all connections are tight.

"Dare to be Yourself" - André Gide
Merry Merchants of Voice Over!
Mendicant
Edo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you see it happening on the VU meters when recording as well? Unplug everything and record a blank file into your Audition... if there is still that hum/noise, you might have a problem with DC offset, which can be traced to a faulty power supply or interference with for instance a graphics card within your computer. If there are any spare PCI slots, you could try moving the soundcard to that slot, see what happens. If audition has the option of DC Offset compensation or something like that, give that a try. If no hum is present, it must be one of your pieces of gear. Just hook it up one by one... hum all of a sudden??? There's your culprit.

Good luck!
bobbinbeamo
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like some possible grounding issue. I know this sounds simplistic, but try unplugging and then replugging everything. This has helped me every time.
Edo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check whether there are any powerwires running parallel to signal cables. That WILL cause AC hum... if cables need to cross, make sure they CROSS (meaning a 90 degree angle... hence a cross) Wink

Good luck!

edit: bit of an unneccesary remark, Brett did mention it before me...

Last edited by Edo on Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
JimRon
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the plug/unplug thing. i think it might be the board. the usb connection on the board is loose. i also think it might be the power cord thing too. i've got the usb cable running along the baseboard and it runs along side some power cords from other equipment. anyone know if radio shack sells filters for this sort of thing?

edo, i don't have a sound card. my board is a usb board that connects directly into a usb port... but if i can't solve this problem i think i'm gonna get a sound card. sam ash has an m-audio for under $150 that i see a lot of people like.

thanks for the help guys!
Edo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimRon wrote:
I've done the plug/unplug thing. i think it might be the board. the usb connection on the board is loose. i also think it might be the power cord thing too. i've got the usb cable running along the baseboard and it runs along side some power cords from other equipment. anyone know if radio shack sells filters for this sort of thing?

edo, i don't have a sound card. my board is a usb board that connects directly into a usb port... but if i can't solve this problem i think i'm gonna get a sound card. sam ash has an m-audio for under $150 that i see a lot of people like.

thanks for the help guys!

Jim,

Do yourself a favour... don't buy filters, fix the problem! Try moving cables and so on. Why spend money if just having your wires lay elsewhere might solve your misery? Also, if the problem is within your USB-mixer, then the hum (nothing plugged in!) must be present when you power up that mixer. Give it a listen with headphones and turn up faders one by one. It might even be a faulty input channel. It's better to KNOW things than to assume them...

Meten is weten! (Dutch saying: -means- measuring is knowing)

Good luck!
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edo wrote:
Meten is weten! (Dutch saying: -means- measuring is knowing)

Edo,

Carpenters here in the USA have a similar saying...

"Measure twice, cut once."
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JimRon
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edo,

You're absolutely right!

Plan tonight is to move the board to a different place to try to separate it from other equipment and clean up the cables. With the filters, I was just thinking ahead. Chances are I'll have to get a shielded USB cable, at the very least, anyway.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you the time and the extra cables... or you can change out one set of cables at a time -- begin changing out each set of cables until you find where the problem is located. Or, begin by taking out of the chain one set of cables at a time until you do not hear the buzz, then replace the bad cables and you should be fine.

I hate work, but this is simple and just takes time.

Toodles

F2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: