VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Something I just thought of. . .
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris... believe it or not, you can get away with bare bones for awhile. The bells and whistles will come later. The very first VO job that I did, I used a video/mic (that round ball looking thing) and my on board sound card to record some stuff for a client. And he bought it! The only thing extra I did was download a free wave to MP3 converter, so I could send the job through email.
Wink
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
PJHawke
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much Bailey for boosting my confidence! Everything I have is low end, but compared to the setup you just described it's practically cutting edge. I know it's the talent they're looking for, not the equipment, but it still is intimidating to come on here where people are trading pics of their U87's and the hottest thing you've got is an MXL990. Hell, I've had a spring in my step for 3 days now because I bought a real mic stand to replace that thing I rigged with the old camera tripod, pipe clamp, and piece of conduit with the 5/8" bolt Bondo'd into the end.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billelder wrote:
But, I stress that it's what you do with what you have...and I'm talking about your performance.

You'll get people talking a length about their U88and a half and the Oral Exponder yet most are strangely silent on the subject of performance. The trouble is, you can't buy a better level of performance.

I know a man who bought the best ISDN codec, pre-amp, processing kit and a Sennheiser MKH416. His goal was to make the transition from radio announcer to movie trailer voice. He can't read properly, has no sense of how he sounds and yet is so pre-occupied with how he sounds he doesn't comprehend rule one - The job is about the client NOT him.

When the TalentExpanderIII is launched we're all out of business, until then, life is lovely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: