VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opera Browser's A Virtual Voice Talent

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Opera Browser's A Virtual Voice Talent Reply with quote

Has anyone else used the Opera browser?

I've finally gotten around to giving it a go. I'd heard about it for years, but never tried it. I understood it was fairly quick, quicker that IE, etc. But, that was years ago. Anyway, I had an issue with Firefox. Netscape was a cool tool with tabs and IE didn't have the tab feature that lets me instantly flip between v123, Yahoo, vo-bb, IV, and who knows what else. Opera does.

Here's the feature that really blew me away. It's got a voice recognition. But, wait! There's more. You can highlight the text on a web page and the thing will read it back to you. A virtual voice talent! It's actually pretty accurate in locution of text.

You might want to give it a test drive, just for fun.
nick reed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

What was your issue with Firefox? I saw everyone posting about Firefox, so I got and loved it, except that Norton Password Manager did not recognize it so that put me off. I had Firefox set as my default browser but Norton would not fill in forms and such. I couldn't figure it out so I dumped it after a week but I loved it otherwise.

Maybe I will give Opera a try.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed Firefox, too. The Tab feature is really good. That's what sold me on it. But, I use Yahoo as my E-mail portal. My reasons are for control. First, I know Yahoo is filtering mail to eliminate as many viruses and worms as possible. Their Spam catcher is nice, too. So, it's my first line of defense. Secondly, I really come from the Webtop-Portal tradition, having worked for and with the folks who brought you Java. You know, computing anywhere, anytime.

Eeither Yahoo or FireFox changed something. Maybe both. I could no longer cut and paste text or a URL into the browser while doing Yahoo E-mail. That's especially aggravating when you're working with tabs.

As best I understand the issue, there is a script that actually enables the client's mouse subroutine that gives a user the right click option. When I'd right click to cut and paste a URL into an E-mail, it wouldn't work. Text copying and pasting was affected, too. More specifically, the choice of right-click was actually disabled in Firefox. The script was disabled. So, the fact is it was impossible to cut and paste.

Yahoo said it was a Firefox problem, since all the other browsers worked fine. Firefox said it was a Yahoo problem, because they had changed something. As an end-user, I said I'm going to use what works!!!

When I researched the matter on the Firefox website, it was documented and noted that the script was disabled for security reasons. I believe someone had found that there MIGHT be a security issue and, for that reason, the feature was disabled. Also, there was a patch published on the Firefox website that was supposed to let a user enable that function, if you wanted to take the risk. I did, becuase of the way I work. Alas, the patch didn't work and nobody could or would explain how to make it work.

Rather than mess around (and some user gave me a ration of crap about nagging), I just went back to using I.E. and Netscape. They work fine. But, then, I decided to try Opera.

If you like Firefox, you'll dig Opera. It's really cool. Firefox has released 1.5 I believe. I don't know if it addresses the issue. But, obviously, some Firefox users, including me, were disappointed or annoyed.

I got distracted with Opera. I haven't even thought of using Firefox again. You not only get tabs, but the feature that lets you login to multiple sites with a ctrl-enter is just what I needed. The UI is well thought out. The browser has a memory. It'll open all the last tabs used automatically when you fire up the browser. It's really sweet. And, then, the voice recognition and speech-text feature just floored me.

I think there's a lesson. First, choice is good. Secondly, you may blame the other guy at the risk of loosing market share, no matter whose fault it is!

CC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: