VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Humpty Dumpty Time -- Get Serious About Backup
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it. Thanks for the insights. I'll pull it togther one of these days when I've got a little more time. Thanks for the assist.

CC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
billelder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had to convice them that I had a major component fail...It took some negotiating and sales skills to convince the helpdesk person ...

This is why I'm still using Windows 98SE. Smile I wish/hope Apple puts out an OS we can use on a PC. I like their OS. The last one I used was OS8. It crashed, Windows crashed. I guess any OS can go funky. I keep telling myself I'm going to learn Linux and get into that. Maybe this summer!?! (Yeah...right)
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Win Xp Reply with quote

GregAllen wrote:
Charlie,

I had to convice them that I had a major component fail (the mother board) and I upgraded the motherboard and processor. Everything else was the same including the case. They gave me a new key. It took some negotiating and sales skills to convince the helpdesk person who sounded like they were in India. Good luck.

Greg

Hmm. I just recently had to do an XP reload. Yeah, I had to verify a number of things; and I thought I'd have to do a lot of begging and pleading. But, no. I got a new reg. key in a matter of minutes without any difficulty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billelder wrote:

This is why I'm still using Windows 98SE. Smile

OMG, you're a better man than I. That was one funky O/S that drove me absolutely nuts. You know, I worked at Sun Microsystems, Inc. where the desktop boxes and engineering workstations would run for 180 days without a single reboot! Once you've been there, you can never ever go back!

After sleeping on the matter, and getting really good advice, I finally discovered my error. I didn't put the XP CD in. That's probably all I needed to do. Call it short term memory loss! Sheezze.

CC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Doc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey - a little "grey matter flatulence" goes with the territory of our chosen professions. At least, I prefer to think it does.

Windows 98 was pretty solid. I've now been using XP since it was released (before that, actually) and have had absolutely NO problems with it. I make sure to get all the updates and patches with the EXCEPTION - and I capitalize that because this is important - of Service Pack 2.

I wouldn't look for a Mac crossover OS any time in the near future. Architectures are completely different. MAC OS has NO registry.

Charlie, I may soon experience some "grey matter flatulence". When it happens, please remember me.

Wink
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc wrote:

MAC OS has NO registry.
Wink

That, my friend, is it's saving grace! The Windows registry is and will continue to be, the most horrendous mistake ever made. The reason the Mac OS and the *nix OS's are so dependable is because they keep configuration info where it belongs, in the directory of the program that needs it. Not like MS where they dump ALL the system configuration information in ONE place, also known as the registry. Maybe one day, MS will do away with it, but I'm not holding my breath.
Doc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen,

If Microsoft Windows does figure a way out of their present OS architecture, won't they then become MAC? <weg>
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc wrote:
Allen,

If Microsoft Windows does figure a way out of their present OS architecture, won't they then become MAC? <weg>

Not at all. I'd like to see MS fix Windows so it's more dependable and less trouble to maintain. I don't think they would become Mac though. It would still be Windows, just better. Choice is great! Use what you like or use 'em all. I use Windows for my studio and some graphic design AND a Linux desktop for most all other day to day things including keeping track of my finances. I'd love to have a Mac too! Maybe one day I'll get one, then I'll have 'em all Wink
Doc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen,

It was a joke - lighten up! LOL

What I know about MAC's is they're THE platform for multimedia, bar none.

My XP is very stable, but, you're right about the maintenance. And, if you're using huge hard drives as am I, it takes HOURS on the fastest of machines to perform that maintenance. I'm guessing that's why XP included the maintenance schedule utility. Wink

I've never used, nor even seen a Linux system, but would sure like to. Open source Operating Systems gives you total control.

So, I guess you're a command line-kind-of-guy?
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Doc,

Sorry, I didn't mean for it to come out "that way." Wink I wasn't trying to start a "which OS is better" war...I don't think DB would appreciate that. I also believe the Mac is the best platform for multimedia. I can't personally vouch for it, but if the pro's worldwide are using it, it must be the one. I'm also pro-open source and I'm very fond of the Linux OS. I use the command line only when I have to. Okay, I've rambled enough Bitchin
John M

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your computer is continuously rebooting itself, it's because the computer is encountering an error and blue screening. The problem is that the default configuration of XP is set to automatically reboot the computer when that happens.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John M wrote:
If your computer is continuously rebooting itself, it's because the computer is encountering an error and blue screening. The problem is that the default configuration of XP is set to automatically reboot the computer when that happens.

Yep, that's what it was doing. I couldn't figure out how to break the cycle and I didn't think of inserting the CD before power-up. The hard drive was recognized and the the system went into the O/S boot sequence ok. The O/S appeared to be loaded. Then, I'd get the character mode choice of safe start, etc. No matter what was picked, it would just loop.

Next week, I'll try the other approach of doing a cold start with the CD in the drive.

C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: