VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Digital Mixer Suggestions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrkaiser

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Digital Mixer Suggestions Reply with quote

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHDDX3216

I've been looking at this for home, however, the station is outfitting my office for some production and thought about it for there as well… any thoughts on this? I like how everything is dynamically routable… I like the possibility of digital in/out, I don't like the rating/comments however.

Anyone have experience with this?

How about this one…

Or this…

http://www.zzounds.com/item--PHOHELIX18FW

Or this…

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ALEMULTIMIX12FW

I'm looking for a mixer 12-16 channels, either Firewire, USB, AES/EBU in the 5-600 range…

It needs to be clean, and solid.

Any suggestions?
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin,

Have some experience with these and many more... my question for you is "what are you doing which requires 12-16 I/O's"?

Before investing in these mixers, determine what your "real" needs are.

Having a bunch of inputs is a good thing IF you need them. If you don't, there are several other digital mixers which will fit the bill at a much lower cost.

As long as you are going for it, do you need more than stereo monitoring (i.e.: surround 5:1, 7:1, etc.)?

Each of the mixers you have listed are stereo OUT for monitoring.

The DM's you have listed are great if you need an analog feel for your editing, Having grown up in the "analog age" I still enjoy the feel of hard faders on my fingers.... However, in most cases - especially for VO, your additional tracks of audio information will be supplied on CD or by digital file types. So additional I/O's for Input are not needed.

If you are recording bands and music with "real" instruments and vocalists... then you may require more inputs. My minimum requirement in the studio is 32 discreet inputs. My VO studio - just two - a stereo input works fine.

If your software allows you Surround Mixing, and you need the Outputs - these might be a way to go... If you are just doing stereo output... stay with your software's mixer, you would be amazed at how versitile these mixers really are.

If your getting this mixer for FREE and they will let you take it with you... get the automated faders and the whole nine yards, and pick the Behringer DDX3216 Digital Mixer.

Hope that helps.

Frank F
jrkaiser

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank, thanks... I do more in my studio than VO. I don't do a lot of bands, however, do some live mixing... Never more than 12 channels, however, so the expandability is nice.

I also like having my equipment on separate tracks. Cassette, couple of CD Players, Dat, Minidisc, Laptop, DAW...

I do severe weather coverage from home and need to be able to route phones and set up a mix - if needed.

You mentioned some other suggestions, please share as I am open to all input at this point.

Thank you!
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few to drool over...

Yamaha O1V96V2 - $2,199.97

TASCAM DM-3200 $2,999.97

Yamaha 02R96 Version 2 - $9,299.97

Hear Technologies Mix Back - $1,949.97

Behringer DDX3216 with ADA8000 about $1000.00

There are several other Digital Mixers, some much higher priced and others small and compact... but for waht you are looking for with band recording, and the other items on your list... these are your best bet for a "Digital Mixer".

Should you choose a different route, that is to put a quality audio interface into the mix, you can look at several analog mixers which are controllable via firewire. These include items from Mackie, M-Audio, Presonus, Tascam, Sony, Alesis, Yamaha, Allen and Heath, etc. Put this into a MOTU 828 MKII or Traveler, add a Behringer ADA8000 (Lightpipe interface, and you now have 22 I/O's wtih pre-amps that are unbeatable all in two rack spaces... not bad for afew sheckels...

Depending in your needs and your budget, there are sooooooo many alternatives that would fit your bill... it's really a matter of what you find fits your works style and budget.

Frank F
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard some good things about the Mackie Onyx line with firewire.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: