VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speechless

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Speechless Reply with quote

A week or so ago, I recommended Audacity and, at the same time, I was replacing my in-house web server due to technical issues.

I'd loaded Audacity on my laptop to use when away from home several months ago, but never really exercised the application. When in L.A., I usually use a iMac that has its own audio record application. But, since I recommended Audacity, I thought I'd better check it out to see what it can really do.

So, since I was messing around with the in-house server, I loaded Audacity on my NetVista and began using it to do auditions. (OK, keep in mind that my other rig is Pro Tools, Digi 002 and a Vocal Booth for sound conditioning, nice mic's and even mic modeling hardware.) But, for quickies, especially on v123/IV, I decided to use the server for the dog piles rather than my DAW. Note: the server sits in my family room, which just a big open space (if you saw the picture of me with my bass, that's the room. Nothing else in it except a desk, a couch, and instruments).

So on Tuesday afternoon, I recorded and sent a demo with a quick comment on the slate said that the SM-58's plugged directly into the computer and my home-studio is pro grade, bla, bla, bla. I get the following back:

Quote:
Hi Charlie,
Thank you for your demo - it's excellent! . . .

Would you mind if we used your demo to show our potential clients with the hope that we will be passing a lot of business your way?

I'm speechless. The SM-58 was no more than 3 feet from the CPU unit, which is sitting on a desk. I don't even believe it was in a 180 degree orientation to the CPU. And, the CPU/fan/disk is loud, running at -28 db.

I did signal processing, using the built-in Noise filter which captures a profile of the noise and applies it. And, then I used the compressor at 3:1 and the LAME converter to MP3. All of that's built into Audacity, free! That's it!

I'm aware that the ears of every client or potential client are different. But, my bet is that Audacity and Sound Blaster Pro or another inexpensive audio card will rock as an inexpensive mobil rig -- not to mention being quite useful for those getting into the game. You just can't beat the price and the quality, as far as I can see.

Lesson learned today: Keep it simple (and cheap). Practice. Play.

CC

p.s. Audacity does a nice job of lining up zero crossing, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great Charlie! I have downloaded, but never really "used" Audacity to see what it's capable of. I may have to try it again Smile

By the way, I got the exact same reply back from my audition on that piece.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those rats!

Now I'm speechless.
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, I am speechless too. I got EXACTLY the same email from them as you did.

Wonder what they are up to??????

Actually, I'm editing this post to add the V123 original lead below...
It looks like we are shortlisted, so to speak, so it's understandable that they would ask several people if they can play samples to their client.
In fact, it was stated in the lead in the first place, so in fact they didn't need to ask further permission but are doing so just to be clear on the fact that they would be playing the samples to a third party.

Here it is:

One of our clients is extremely interested in our managed podcast services. They would like us 'podcastify' the daily press releases of their clients. Simply, this means taking the press release text, producing a voice-over and putting the mp3 live for interested parties to download.
The end-customers of these podcastified press releases are business analysts (for example) listening to the voice over in the gym, on the train, driving to work or sat at their desk.
We now need some voice overs of some sample press releases so we can put these into a demo podcast feed. Ultimately our client's clients will decide what voice over artists they'd like to use, but they'll be picking from a range supplied by us.
I think we need at least 3-4 different press releases read in full and converted into mp3 to demonstrate the service. So if you reckon you can bring a bit of life to some company press releases -- let's talk. I'd be delighted to receive any demos or quotes.

I've included a few paragraphs from an old press release we were thinking of using as a sample.
regards
marko

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put my name in the hat as well. I received the EXACT same message!

Oh well, there goes that 'special' feeling we all had, huh? Wink
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, we're in jolly good company at least! Smile

There's not much they can really do with 500 samples of the same old script, for goodness sake, but certainly I will take any future praise from them with a teeny bit of Sodium Chloride since they're not being personal.

First time I ever got a COMPLIMENT and had to think "They don't mean it personally" - that's usually saved for the other domain.
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Seems to be a trend here. Me too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess that REALLY means that my hardware is absolutely irrelevant! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout! Laugh. Three cheers for the Open Software Foundation!!!

At least with this particular lead. This experience is a reason to avoid spending huge amounts of money, at least when starting out.

C
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kitstern
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add my name to the list.

http://www.kitziestern.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: