VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EV RE20 for sale

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: EV RE20 for sale Reply with quote

For some reason I'm still playing with microphones, and I decided to try an Electrovoice RE20, which I found, used, in excellent condition at a local store for $367 with a shock mount included. It doesn't work for me, and I can return it for a full refund if I do so by this Friday 3 February 2006. I thought I would offer it to this community for the same price I paid, plus whatever it costs to ship and insure it. I've been dragging my feet about returning it, and realised it's because I wish one of my friends could have it. Sweetwater sells this mic for $399.97 and the shockmount is separate, $99.97.

So if you're interested, let me know soon please. Sorry I don't have a picture (no digital camera here yet), but it is indeed in excellent condition. It did not come with a box or any literature.

P.S. When I say "it doesn't work for me" I don't mean, it doesn't work Smile
It works fine. Just isn't a good match for my voice.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay - back to the shop it goes!
billelder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary,

Your offer was very kind. I got my RE20 on E-Bay. Used, they're a gamble and you really don't know what they've been through. Mine was a drum mic and was in perfect condition. I have a friend who bought one that was used at a beach radio station...apparently outdoors <g>...and it was in horrible shape. Electro Voice did re-work it for him for a small fee.

You are smart to test with the option to return. So...what will you be considering next?
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill -

It probably sounds like I'm going through mics like a crazy woman but it hasn't been that many - from Rode NT1A to AT 4060, which is a swell mic - I still own both of those mics - I just wasn't really completely satisfied with the sound from the AT 4060. So I thought I would just look around (very dangerous). I tried a Gefell 71S which did not wow me. Then an AEA R84 ribbon mic - that one was not my idea - it was horrible. Then the EV RE20 which I literally tried for 2 sentences before realising it was not for me.

I let the guy at Mercenary Audio send me one more mic, although I was ready to give up and save my money. A month or so ago a producer had mentioned the Soundelux U195 as a great possibility for me. So that's what I have now. Just hooked it up last night, tried at out, and said, wow. This is awesome.

So, I may be out some dough after all. And all this time I was thinking I had just missed the fine print that said, "Talent not included".
billelder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, as a big fan of Boston Legal, I love your sig. <g>

That's really the thing about mics, isn't it? When you test one and it's pretty well a "thumbs up" or "down" that tells you all you need to know.

I have miucs that I use for certain deliveries. Some work better than others. I've latched on to the Studio Projects mic which is a nice fit for me. The RE20 is great for that sports narration or car commercial. The RCA 77 loves a nice smooth narration.

Best to you as we all search for that never ending "mic quest"!
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was ready to hit the ceiling last week when "my" TV shows (House and Boston Legal) were preempted by a #$%&*!@!! occurrence that Deirdre won't let me harangue about.....

The Studio Projects mic is that $100 fellow, right? It's so cool when economy and utility intersect. Like the Behringer Cutie Pie you recommended to me long ago when I was just starting out. I'm still using it.

I know some people love the RE20. I just must not have the volume to make it do its thing. Or it could be one needs a more muscular preamp for it. I did use one last year for a commercial gig recorded at a radio station and it sounded okay, so who knows.

It's kind of like using margerine. After a while you think, okay, maybe it doesn't taste so bad. Then you get butter and it's.... Whoa! This is the stuff!!!
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcm wrote:
I was ready to hit the ceiling last week when "my" TV shows (House and Boston Legal) were preempted by a #$%&*!@!! occurrence that Deirdre won't let me harangue about.....

Take a Deep Breath.
New House and new Boston Legal Tuesday night.

(I was plenty pissed, too.)

(24 tomorrow night)
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know we're way off topic here (but you guys started it), but I wait until the DVD's of "24" come out. Then we have a 4 night marathon of cliff hangers. It's quite the adrenaline rush!
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Bruce, but this is strictly a Boston Legal off-topic thread. You will have to start another thread for 24 to be off-topic-from. Kiss
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I watch 24 I have to remember to breathe.

We're so far off topic anything goes, just about-- as long as it's shows I like.

heh heh heh heh.
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And on a lighter side, there's always My Name is Earl which makes me laugh out loud....
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife has got me hooked on "Beauty & the Geek"

Now that's some lighter fare. Junkfood for the eyes.
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since this thread has deteriorated into a "favorite tv shows" thread, I'll put mine in. Battlestar Galactica is, without a doubt, one of the best, dramas on the tube right now. I'm a Sci Fi guy anyway...so it figures Wink
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know some serious (pop?) psychoanalysis could probably come from reviewing a list of the TV shows that appeal most to a person.

I enjoy shows with fast and witty conversation, and fun and sometimes obscure references to history and the culture of the past 50 years, like West Wing and Gilmore Girls. I also love the foul quasi-Shakespearian reparté of Deadwood. I must think/hope that I'm fast and witty?

David Letterman makes me laugh outrageously at times, maybe because he reminds me so much of how my Dad used to tell jokes. Lorelei's mother on Gilmore Girls and the mother (Blythe Danner) on Huff certainly remind me of my Mother. ooooooh.

I watch CNN too much (especially today while Michael Brown is spilling the beans)... I think of politcal intrigue as my sinful soap opera obsession.

THERE! I've bared my soul for all to see!

Awwww. They're just TV shows. What am I thinkin'?

Bruce
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Awwww. They're just TV shows. What am I thinkin'?

I'm thinkin' now we know who you REALLY are.

Will you marry me?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: