VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life and voice over work

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Life and voice over work Reply with quote

I was on the phone this morning talking to Maggie at the Highland Flying School booking some flying lessons and as she suggested times I started to think about all the work I would miss. As I became aware of that slight knot in my tummy I just said yes to the dates and times and finished the conversation with "See you on Monday morning".

Voice Over work pays for the practical expenses of my life and the things I would like to do, I do not pay for getting Voice Over work with my life. Think about it, is Voice Over work at the expense of your life? No it isn't and it should never be the case.

PHONE RINGS

"Hello, Philip Banks"

"Hi Philip. Are you available to do a session for me today?"

"I answered the phone so the prognosis is good!"

DONE DEAL

Needless to say your approach to accepting work must be responsible but watch yourself for signs of fear or ego because if one doesn't get the other will, every time.

I had an attack of fear yesterday after receiving an email from a production company requesting another version of two pieces of audio I'd recorded without any input from the client other than "sound like a good presentation".
One error on my part meant I needed to redo on short sentence, no problem and no charge of course. Feedback form the producer said the client didn't like my read and requested, more emotion, like I'm talking to myself and read faster. No problem, can do that. How do I approach this? The read was a matter of taste and the direction was given in hindsight so I decided that I must charge again, after my initial attack of the jitters. What made me do this?

The client chose to allow me to work alone, not to give timings or specific direction, in short to save his money and his time he thought it would be ok if things didn't quite work out to waste my time and money.

When my life allows me to invoice clients for walking Jazz on the beach I'll let them ask me to re-voice jobs free of charge. Do you think they'll go for that?

Ok, back to the mic, voice overs are my life! Wait a minute, that's not right, voice overs are my job.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip,

Brilliant, again! Thank you.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
he thought it would be ok if things didn't quite work out to waste my time and money.

I gotta say, Philip, you hit it right on the head.
Mandy Nelson
MMD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we can purchase the Book Of Voice-Over-Isms by Philip Banks?
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could call it "Donormyl 25mg"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: