VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB's and external HD's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PJHawke
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: USB's and external HD's Reply with quote

hey, that has a cool rythm to it...sorta like "Me and You and a Dog Named Boo"... eh...never mind.

I record on my laptop, which has one HD, through a USB interface. I've experienced a couple hiccups now and then; the HD is, in typical laptop fashion, only 5400 speed, and is juggling system and application functions against the laying down of track. Sooo... I'd like to get an external HD to take the strain off and hopefully get more consistantly smooth recordings.

However (and there's always a however in life), because my interface is USB powered, the manual says to use only the direct USB port, not a hub or daisychain or anything...my laptop only has one USB port, and I need one to plug an external HD into. If I get one of those USB PCMCIA cards (I have one slot available) and plug the HD into that, and use the main USB for the interface, that'll record everything smoothly and take the burden off the system's HD just fine, right? I'm really in the dark about laptops and peripherals, pardon my N00bitude.........just need to get the info squared away before I plan any purchases.

PJ
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ,

There are a couple of more options for you to think about...
1) Most (not all, but most) external USB HD's have a second port for daisy-chaining. What the laptop folks are saying is "put the HD first... you can daidsy -chain after that to another item if you desire".

2) Get a powered hub adn make sure the HD is first on then list.

3) Get a Firewire/USB combo direve and an adapter for the firewire if needed.

I am a fan of having a "record drive", this puts less strain on the PC's/Laptop's system. I am also a big fan of firewire vs. USB. IF you so desire a USB drive however, make sure your laptop is capable of USB 2.0 and get that combined with at least a 7200 RPM HD... it'll make your life a lot easier.

Frank F
billelder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ,

You can buy USB hubs that are powered and that may help. What program are you using to record? Have you tried something like Audicity that may not require so much of your computer's resources?

They do make PCMCIA audio cards. (here)(here)

Maybe try using the Windows recorder at 44,100 Hz 16 bit to test and see if that gives you a smooth recording. How much stuff (icons at the lower right hand corner) starts when you start the computer?

Are things like "Instant Message", "Quicktime" and "Real Audio" there? If so, go into their properties and tell them not to launch on startup.
How full is your drive?

When was the last time you defragged? I'm just thinking/typing out loud. <g>
PJHawke
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx guys. My Lappy is not real high speed (PIII, 450 MHz), and only has one USB (not USB2) port. Repeat, the system only supports USB, not USB2. I run Audacity, and I don't have any messageware or bell &whistleware on it. The makers of the interface (M-Audio Mobile Pre) said only use the main USB port instead of a hub cuz it's entirely USB powered...but Bill mentioned powered USB hubs which I guess would take care of that. Any connection beyond my one USB hub would have to be via daisychain or a PCMCIA card/port. Frank you mentioned a combo drive, I saw a nice one offered cheap on ebay http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006GDC8A/102-7218589-0162509?v=glance&n=172282
but I don't know if it has a USB port to plug the interface into, or if the interface would have a decent power supply coming thru it if it did.

I want something that will work with my existing low-end computer AND still be good when I upgrade (preferably to a Mac powerbook when I can afford it), and just take the struggle off Lappy's poor HD. So, choices:
1. powered USB hub to plug interface and drive into,
2. USB drive with port to plug the interface into (even tho int4erface manual says it should go directly into the main USB)
3. PCMCIA firewire port to plug the drive into, and plug the interface into Lappy's USB port
4. PCMCIA soundcard with its own ports, provided it's compatible with my low-end Lappy
5. Something else I haven't thought of yet.

Whatcha think would be best?
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your choice of PCMCIA Firewire card/HD, with the USB interface directly to the laptop.

Being as you have a plain-jane USB 1.0, an HD and audio interface via USB 1.0 would not be a good choice for audio recording (it would not be fast enough).

However, there is another option, a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card with two (or more) ports. Available for around $39.00 - $59.00 USD. An inexpensive USB 2.0 HD from CompUSA, Staples, OfficeMax or your local computer store should run around <$100.00 USD for an 80 to 120 gig HD. (Caveat: Watch the sales... and don't be in a real hurry...).

What this would do is make your HD accessable for another computer if necessary, which translates to: you can take your audio files with you and to another computer if necessary.

Which now brings up another question: What OS are you using? Win 98, XP, ME, etc?

If Win98 or ME or NT make sure you have drivers for USB 2.0 available. If Win XP - it's all included in the software.

If you do not have the USB 2.0 card avaiable or if running ME or NT or... Consider going firewire (again - make sure of the driver software for your PCMCIA card BEFORE buying the hardware.

Then remember - save to and edit from the external drive. Keep your Editing software on the main drive (on the laptop).

Good luck and good recording.

Frank F
PJHawke
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:
I like your choice of PCMCIA Firewire card/HD, with the USB interface directly to the laptop.

Okay, cool...A firewire card is affordable, and the firewire and/or/combo drive can be had for not too godawful much. I could be on my way here. however... you mentioned the USB2 PCMCIA card and USB2 drives...isn't that going to be affected by the base architecture of my laptops system? The CPU and board are set up for USB 1, doesn't that effectively bottleneck it? I thought that If your computer is only USB 1 enabled, then that's just what ya got until you upgrade the system.

I'm using Win2K, btw...WinXP absolutely strangles poor Lappy to a snail's pace.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PJ Hawke wrote ...isn't that going to be affected by the base architecture of my laptops system? The CPU and board are set up for USB 1, doesn't that effectively bottleneck it?

PJ,

USB 1 and USB 2.0 are protocols enabled by the capability of the I/O card, the achitcture of the system does not apply. However, that said, you will need the appropriate drivers to make the transition.

Further, based upon the USB 1.0 audio card, I would definately suggest the Firewire solution for your HD, and then connect the sound-vard thru the USB 1.0. Using a USB 1.0 and a 2.0 on the same I/O card would tend to muck up the situation as the 2.0 would not get enough thru-put to work properly.

Using Win2000 may limit your choice of peripherals, check out compatibility prior to making the purchase.

Frank F
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: