VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Darn RF and Handi-Coupler

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Darn RF and Handi-Coupler Reply with quote

So a friend gave me an Exacibur HC-1 Handi-Coupler yesterday. Decided to hook it up today. Sending audio out (meaning me out to the phone) works great, no problems.

Trying to get audio from the phone into the mixer (my headphones are the end result of course) has become a nightmare. I started off with a TS cable and couldn't get sound from the phone coupler to the mixer via a line in.

So then I switched to a TRS - XLR going into a mic pre on the mixer. That almost works if I jack the gain all the way up. I can barely hear the caller, and there is a loud buzz, Here's the kicker: Somehow, I'm picking up a radio station better than anything else. I don't have a tuner in here. Weird. Gotta love RF.

For you techie types, what do you think? Should I make up a TRS to TRS cable and try that instead or would that not even make a difference? I hate to run get the connectors and whip up a cable if it won't matter.

I'm going to reroute the phone line to make sure I'm nowhere near anything that might cause problems. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My name is Brian, and I'm a gearaholic.
nick reed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the ad copy for the HC-1...

"The HC-1 gives you the simplest, quickest, most convenient way to connect audio to a telephone. "

So are you calling them liars?!

Nick
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As advertised, it is quick, simple, and convienient to connect.

Its actually making sound come out that gets you. Wink
nick reed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this description will be of much help, but maybe.

Scroll down to fourth item on page...

http://www.bradleybroadcast.com/2001/Telephone.htm

Nick
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nick.

It says it will do unbalanced or balanced, but it's not very happy at the moment. I'll make a couple of new cables tomorrow and see what happens.

My favorite part of that description is "Please note: This is not a telephone hybrid." No kidding? Gasp

B
dmgood

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Darn RF and Handi-Coupler Reply with quote

Hart wrote:
a friend gave me

Did he ever say it worked? I can remember spending countless hours banging my head against the wall trying to get a computer to see another on the network. Was convinced it was my own ignorance and beat myself up trying to get it to work, changing settings and rebooting only much, much later to find out it was a faulty network card. Nothing I could have done would have gotten it to work except replace the hardware.
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian...

From what I've been told and have read here, from many of our more experienced vo-bb members, these couplers don't work worth a darn for our applications.

You're definately going to be better off spending a couple more bucks and getting an analog telephone hybrid...

If you search the board for "phone patch" you'll find a whole bunch of info and quite a few very good links to some great products.

I always try to look at the time it takes to "rig" something up and how much my time is worth marketing or otherwise improving my craft, compared to how much a proven piece of equipment will cost... in most cases, purchasing the product makes more sense from a purely financial stand-point. That being said... I've learned a whole bunch by wasting a tonne of time and losing a lot of $$$

Good Luck.

Brian
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's supposed to work, but then again he had like 6 of em, all used so maybe it doesn't.

It definately is not a replacement for a hybrid. I used to have a unit similiar to this one back in Alabama. I don't need a hybrid right now so I won't buy one, but since this thing was given to me I thought I would mess with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: