VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Orson talks voices, acting, etc
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Mike. What a cool, very cool story. Love it. I also love Orson Welles. Thanks for sharing, Joe.

Let's enjoy this classic Orson commercial VO session again, shall we? Crispy crumb coating, anyone?
FaffCon
TalkerTees
Mike Sommer
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gang. Orson was very generous. He was also a Hollywood outcast, and terribly lonely, but oh so wise. The house he lived in was not his own; a friend let him stay there. Orson, as they say worked his way to the bottom.

Though I can't say we were friends, he did seem to enjoy the times that I called. And I was sure to never abuse my privileges.

Last year I was helping a friend do a little student film (Video), and we were setting up a shot, and I remembered a little trick Orson thought me about about deep focus and perspective. The scene was a doctor coming into an examination room with a patient sitting on the examination table (the patient was suffering complications form drug addiction). So I set the shot up with a long perspective looking down the edge of the examining table with a door at the other end of the room; the patient filled the right half of the frame from the keens up, and the doctor would enter from a door that looked like was just sitting above the patient's keens (If you can imagine that). So when the doctor walked into the room he started out looking like this little man and then grew to a commanding authoritative doctor. All I could think about was Orson while setting up the shot; it was like he was on my shoulder the entire time.

Acoustics are counter-intuitive. If one thing is certain about acoustics, it is that if anything seems obvious it is probably wrong.
girlactor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: I knew it! Reply with quote

Lee Gordon wrote:
Little know fact: Orson Welles' career was launched when he was discovered standing on a street corner in Columbus, OH holding a sign that said, "Will Pontificate for Food." Wink

I am so glad to know this works... where is my sign?
JTVG
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Sommer wrote:
Thanks gang. Orson was very generous. He was also a Hollywood outcast, and terribly lonely, but oh so wise. The house he lived in was not his own; a friend let him stay there. Orson, as they say worked his way to the bottom.

One of his interviews I watched was with Merv Griffin, done a few hours before Orson died. The tone of it is a bit different from the others. I sensed quite a bit of regret about a life spent trying to regain Hollywood's approval. It's also on Youtube, in two parts.

The man was a genius, pure and simple.
Jen Gosnell
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, thanks for the pointers! I did go back and watch that interview with Dick Cavett. I have to say, I had a huge grin on my face the whole time! Laugh

Interesting that he consented to talk about the past more than usual in the Merv Griffin interview.

A fascinating person indeed.
cyclometh
King's Row

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I love is the intensity he presents. He's so engaged with the interview in ways that celebrities being interviewed so rarely show any more.

When, at the beginning of the interview he was going to light a cigar and waved out the match so he could properly answer the question instead of lighting the cigar right then- you could see in his eyes that he was paying close attention and was sincerely engaged.

He also says "you know" a lot. Makes me feel a little better. Laugh
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting stuff. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: