VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audible FTP Issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Precisely, Dave. Hightail, wetransfer.com (my favorite, as you can upload up to 2 gig a shot free), etc. do a fine job.

I just "thought" I uploaded that book. Watched each file go up, no time outs, and it "looked" like it all went up. Nope.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Benjamin Stovall
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew, sounds like there is a bit of confusion on here as to how you are trying to upload the files. Scott was thinking it was via web page upload only, but now you are confirming that you have an actual FTP address and that you are using FileZilla, an FTP Client.

So, let's step back for a moment. Are you on a Mac or Windows? Have you tried the "Passive Mode" and "Keep alive" settings I mentioned previously?
Which FTP clients have you tried so far?

"When you're nearing the end of your rope, tie a knot. Keep on hanging. Keep on remembering, that there ain't nobody bad like you." -- The Electrifying Mojo
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Ben I'm using Filezilla. Passive mode. Not sure how to set the controls to keep alive mode. I thought I'd had a successful upload last night as Fz showed all the files going up. But when I looked into the destination folder to double check, nothing was inside. Today I'm getting "421 timeout" and Disconnected at Server messages. I've been in touch with ACX techs today. They had me upload the book to wetransfer.com
As has been stated before, if my author's contact person needs it that quickly, all they need to do is click the download tab on the link I've sent them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with ACX's system, but in some places when I upload a file via ftp, it does NOT show that the file is there, even though it is. Some sort of security thing, I suspect. Could this be the case here?
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thought did occur to me CC, or once a folder is loaded and the connection terminated, the file is dumped to another holding area.
This client has been through the works with Audible. He hired me to voice the book back in late October. There were countless delays on Audible's part to get his book approved, my sample approved for voice/studio quality, etc.
We finally got the green light in June. Some of that was due to Hurricane Sandy wrecking havoc on Jersey. But not all of it.
So, it's sitting in the cloud now for someone to make two simple clicks and bring it on home.
cyclometh
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WARNING! GEEK RANT AHEAD!

FTP needs to die. It's one of the oldest protocols in use on the Internet and its design reflects a time when the number of computers on the network (called "hosts" for you kids) was so small that the list was kept in a manually updated text file sent around on a semi-regular basis when the network ops felt like it.

It was built for a time without firewalls, IPSEC, NAT, IPv6, VPN, and all the other stuff we do today.

If you transfer a file, the server you're talking to has to call YOU, which is such a horrific violation of the most basic security practices it's not funny. Thus was born "Passive Mode", along with a million other band-aids to let this Pleistocene-era file transfer technology continue to hunch its way, oozing and snorting, into the modern internet.

It's like a Neanderthal came and sat down at your lovely Sunday dinner and just stuck his dirty, fur-covered mitts into the mashed potatoes and grabbed a handful to eat out of a clenched fist.

We have so many better ways of moving data around. We can beam multi-gigabyte HD movies on demand to an XBox, but we're still wrestling with how to move a few hundred megabytes from one computer to another.

I wish FTP would just DIE. I've lived with it since it was useful, and every time I fire up an FTP client I feel like I'm driving a Model A onto a Formula 1 racetrack.

There's a reason we don't use old systems anymore. Anyone else remember GOPHER? WAIS? No, because they're GONE, and for good reason!

OK, rant over.
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn right, Corey.

I love it when a geek gets his panties in a bunch. Smile
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed... I recently had to FTP to an agent's site.... at least my FTP client is a cute duck!

Seriously though... I had to think for a few minutes if I still had the program or not. I agree with Corey in every respect here... and I loved the way he managed to get both Pleistocene and Neanderthal into the rant.

Perfect.
COURVO
Even Taller Than He Seems On TV

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Precisely, Bish...not to mention IPSEC, NAT, IPv6, VPN too.
heehee

also, great thread in a LinkedIn group about these issues:

http://www.linkedin.com/groupItem?view=&srchtype=discussedNews&gid=1519377&item=259713001&type=member&trk=eml-anet_dig-b_pd-ttl-cn&fromEmail=&ut=2cXPdrorM0E5Q1

CourVO
Courvo's "Voice Acting in Vegas" Blog: http://www.CourVO.biz
on your phone at courvo.mobi
"I'm not a news anchor, but I play one on TV."

Last edited by COURVO on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Benjamin Stovall
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew, I'm glad they got you a workaround. Also, thanks for sharing the specific error. I can expound on this error code a bit. The server is set up to log you off if a specific idle time is reached (no detected activity). This can be due to interference from antivirus software, firewall software or your router. When it occurs, it usually looks something like this in the log:

421 No Transfer Timeout (120 seconds): closing control connection. Connection closed.

This is where the "keep alive" feature could help. Here's how to utilize it for FileZilla: http://www.ehow.com/how_8682127_fix-timeouts-filezilla.html

Also, sounds like you're on a Mac. I'd try out Cyberduck, as it sounds like Bish uses. Sometimes switching programs is all you need to get around this stuff. Anyway, sounds like this is all after the fact at this point, but maybe it could help you in the future.

"When you're nearing the end of your rope, tie a knot. Keep on hanging. Keep on remembering, that there ain't nobody bad like you." -- The Electrifying Mojo
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben, thank you for your continuing efforts to assist me with this dilemma. As Cory so "rantingly" stated with adroit eloquence, "FTP needs to die!"

I had a day to fiddle, and thought I'd give my client a helping hand. Yep. There are better ways to move data. In my client's case, he's using the DHL Data Delivery System. It'll take two days and will then get lost on his Audible representative's desk. It's FUBAR continued.

Edited to add:
Ben I'm working off PC's here.
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Corey can attest, I am extremely distant from being a geek. I'm one of those people who knows just about enough to get myself in trouble.

As one of those people, I happen to love FTP (okay, all the geeks now slap your palm against your forehead with a great big 'sigh'). I have several clients, including some overseas ones, that I have to send gobs of large .wav files to on almost a daily basis and it never ceases to amaze me how damn fast the uploads are. Almost instantaneous. And I can start the upload, then forget about it while I go about my other work.

I also use dropbox (slow), and web-based uploaders (also slow), and things like sendthisfile.com (ugggggh!). So if there's something better out there, I'm all for it. But for now, FTP sure seems to work great for fast transfers of large amounts of very large files.

www.voicebyscott.com
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and It appears CC had the correct hunch. This from Audible today:

"...it looks like the files have successfully transferred over on our end. It may only seem like the files have “disappeared” shortly after the transfer. Please rest assured that this only means that the files have successfully ingested (our FTP clears the folders due to Amazon’s security purposes, but we are able to see everything that has been uploaded.)"

Just thought I'd update.
Yonie
CM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To reiterate a point Scott made; if I can put something on upload and then forget about it, I consider it a clear win.

The privilege of ignorance; to skip annoyance, because you have no idea that better stuff is out there.
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspected that "disappearing from the folder" trick because I run into it in other uploads I do. Glad you found out from the ACX folks directly!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: