VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best VO conference?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Innit though!
HeatherMasters
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sometimes, just spending a weekend with like people, sharing their passions, their strategies, their fears, and their successes makes for a productive con.

This. This is the biggest thing I am looking for. I would love to be able to meet some of you, pick your brains, see how you do business and just feel some comraderie. I feel so isolated here. Whenever a client says something like "Thanks so much. You were great. Very professional and...etc" Inside my head I think, "whew" because I am just doing everything I can think of to do. But I have no idea how others work, or what ways I could improve, be more professional, hit the mark even better.

Bob, your explanation of your conference idea was what I was thinking I was going to. Especially the seminars. When I taught theatre, I went through a period of feeling drained and bored, so I attended a theatre conference. The break out seminars were such a great refresher for me. So re-energizing. I came home with materials from Meisner, Cohen, Uta Hagen, and just felt ready to take on anything. I guess that I was expecting the same thing from a VO conference. So it's good to adjust my expectations and get a better understanding for what's involved.

Quote:
I am well aware that this type of event would not be attended in the numbers of other vo cons.

That baffles me, because it seems to me this is EXACTLY the kind of conference people would jump at the chance to go to. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that the people who just want to be a star, and make easy money, must not last very long. This year 25% of my earnings have gone right back into training, upgrades, improvements. I don't know that I have designs on being on the A-list, but I definitely want to have A-list skills. Thanks to training, and the ever persistent banging of the drum by Philip (for which I am eternally grateful) I am learning to be who I am, and be confident of what I can bring to the table. But I look down the road, and I see how far I still have to go. I feel like, if this is really for you, you have to be in it for the long haul. Willing to wade through the trenches of learning, growing, adapting for a good while before you can play with the big boys. Are most conferences flooded with people who "aspire" to be VO's rather than those who "are" VOs?

www.heathermastersvo.com
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no shame in admitting you do not know what you are doing or that you are (in the case of the experts) saying things for effect.

"First you need to optimise your brand position and ensure your marketing has traction" I have yet to meet anyone coaching or selling their knowledge to VO people who really has any in depth experience in anything other than regurgitating mindless jargon.

In my previous life I was released by my employer one day per week to lecture to business studies students in Law, Marketing and Economics. I was raised by a Governess/Nanny to the British Landed Gentry and an Army Officer; that rasin' made me p'lite and when pushed I will lie through my teeth to spare someone's feelings but never on a point of honour. In the Voice Over world ....
oh dear!

What to do? Pick your counsel wisely. Everyone person is worth knowing for one reason or another but if you want to be flown home ask a real Pilot not someone who once played one on TV.

Trained actors with sharp minds do not need VO coaching because they are quick studies and will pick up the limited knowledge required very quickly.

Networking Promo Producers at events designed to cater for their needs? Google "Pest Control"

Lovely British English - "Bollocks". Shout it often at every learned VO Expert. Start with me, I would deem it a signal honour.
Moe Egan
4 Large

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:

"Drink heavily and swap war stories"

What Bish said! My accountant was always impressed by my bar tab from Faffcons
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the waiting list. JAEGER BOMBS!!!!
Yonie
CM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Want to meet a bunch of people from VO-BB? Go to Faffcon. I missed my opportunity, so don't be me.
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faffing is the best! Wink

c
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faffcon, the 2nd longest running gathering of Voice Over people anywhere, That's quite an achievement.

Does it make a difference to those who attend? Some publicly and far too many to name privately will share what they've given and what they've taken away from the experience.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Faffcon in Mini Apple Less fully over subscribed? The reason I ask is because I could go to Amsterdam that weekend. No point in waiting on a waiting list when I can get m'self on a definite list.

Just looked a photos of the city. Flat, isn't it?
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Faffcon Twin Cities sold out in five minutes. Even some of us who filled out the application the moment it became available have found ourselves on the waiting list.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish there was another voice over virtual. I wasn't even in the business then, but I've heard it was awesome, mostly from the voice over cafe talk on the subject.

It seems the only stumbling block is the platform and the associated cost with it.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOV was great, Paul, but I don`t think it had enough of a pull to be financially viable. I`ve emailed John Florian about it, and he said there weren`t plans to do another one. I really wish there had been some way to record/download the webinars natively, or I had been more tech savvy at the time to do it myself!
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any question to which one would like an answer IS answered online, somewhere. Indeed, there may be 398 opinions, 1 wrong answer and one correct answer. DIG for victory!

Online "meet ups" and conferences have something but not much.

Stash some cash. Book a flight. Meet some people.

Meet
Email

In that order

You hide, I hide, we all fall down!

Find the worst VO gathering in the world and go to it. I guarantee you will get more from that time than any other way of building buildy things.

We all have to love the solution more than the problem.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeatherMasters wrote:
Are most conferences flooded with people who "aspire" to be VO's rather than those who "are" VOs?

Yes. The correct term is "Keynote Speaker".

Being polite to the guy in the bar who insists he is a Navy Seal is not the same as paying him to teach you how to swallow a Salmon whole and fool passing Pirates into believing you are a Mermaid. Note - All REAL Seals know how to do this kinda stuff.

A friend told me that when she first met me she didn't know WHO I was. The pride was derived from the fact that I am a big deal and she could make report of the fact that she didn't realise. One person during that exchange KNEW I was a BIG DEAL. Awesome! I learned something about myself that day.

Next time you think of me think "Bill Franks from ..errr... where ever IS a big deal Voice Talent"
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:

Online "meet ups" and conferences have something but not much.

Absolutely right, but online meeting can be invaluable as a compliment to in person. Philip I credit "meeting" with you on Skype within my first week of attempting this business as setting me down the right path. Or at least putting me in the right frame of mind, as I still make mistakes I'm sure.

Additionally I've been meeting online with a workout group for months, and the experience has been extremely valuable. As one of the participants is in Asia, online is the only way to make it happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: