VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pre Examples......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tea anyone? I'm just about to make a pot. Twinnings English Breakfast.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly! Irish breakfast tea for me every morning, something interesting every afternoon, and a cuppa chamomile on many an evening. I loves me tea.

B

(However Earl Grey and Gun Powder tea aren't on my list of faves)
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the examples.
There are a couple of heavy hitters that are members (although quiet) of this board that use or used the Focusrite Voice master pro.
Could you share your experiences, likes, dislikes, or examples.
Thanks
WE

Oh yes, I once predicted that AAC H2 would be the pro production file transfer protocol of choice. I guess only Orban was listening.
AAC = fat files at low bandwidth.
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan-O wrote:
It begs the question: Was the soundfile in mono or stereo?

Mono recording and mono mp3 conversion... regardless, it was more of a learning experience than anything... when it comes to hardware, the circuitry and configuration of each individual piece can certainly affect the way a file sounds.
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green tea for me, please.

And thanks to those of you who are taking the time to record these comparisons for us. I realize there are tons of caveats regarding what mic or what pre works with what other mic, what other pre, in what kind of a room, with what kind of a voice, on what day of the week, in what phase of the moon, etc. But it's interesting to be able to hear and discern differences between these files and then have experts like Frank and others come in and point out in technical terms what we're hearing and why. It's a good learning experience.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the kudos TC.

Depending upon your settings as you encode an .mp3 file, there should be NO discernable difference between the original file (.wav or .aiff) and the .mp3. As has been noted, each sound card may add some 'color", but even more importantly is the "audio engine" of the playback program or system.

Until recently I had 'forgiven' some of the color in the Sony Vegas DAW, as I had decided it was 'pretty darn good'. Then I heard and played with the new Vegas 7 with my Apogeee Rosetta 800's. Wow, what a difference. The new audio engine is flawless. The sound was similar to that of what I would hear when recording Analog audio on 2" tape years ago - only no hiss or tape rumble. It was amazing.

So I went back to my MOTU 828 MKII's, again the audio was superb. it also sounded great on my new ProTools HD system using the Rosetta's

I digress. When comparing .mp3's to the original audio, one must take several factors into consideration. Is the codec lossless or lossy (.mp3) (best is lossless)? Is the audio peaking at or above 100% db (85% is optimum)? Is it stereo or mono, what is the bit depth, CBR, VBR? What is the bandwidth, and padding, are there checksums, Mid-Side Joint, Intensity Joint stereo, how wide is the stereo image? And so many more items I do not have space to write.

Are you listening to a 'streamaing audio file' or a 'downloaded file' (best quality - downloaded)?

O.K., now that I have confused you... consider this, to the human ear and for playback on the radio, TV, or most home systems... an .mp3 is just fine - you will not likely hear any differences. If you do, you probably have better ears than I.

If there is 'color' or other artifacts other than those which were recorded on the original file - it is most likely coming from one of two sources, your playback engine (DSP, DAW or player) or your sound card/system.

The most likely culprit is the playback system or "audio engine".

We ALL set our systems perfomance to our own ears and to our own values at the time we set it up, True performance comes from setting your system to playback audio with optimum values which are predetermined by the other issues.

So-o-o-o, each project is going to sound different to each listener, as it relies on subjective hearing qualities. Or, stated otherwise as: to each their own.

Toodles

Frank F
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spent some time over the course of an hour here and an hour there and then some advice from an old friend tweaking my dbx 586. Suddenly to my ears it was waaay sibilant and bassy. Ick. So I too appreciate these comparisons (and I liked the Firefox file best!). This and the "Mikes Mics" threads are great fun and good exercise for the ears. It compels me to come back for more, like Hart's voice box building thread and the updates. Living vicariously....?
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the tech shoot-outs and appreciate the time you guys are putting into the prep and recording of these exercises.

It's a constant reminder of the possibilites for the "construction" of one's sound.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quality is fairly easy to evaluate whereas as preference is precisely that. Clean audio? Yes it is. Too much compression? Yes there is. The latter statement should really be "for my taste, very probably".

Lots of qualified ears on here and very helpful they are too.

A few months ago I posted some audio because I had moved some things around in my "wee huttie". It's very easy to ask a loaded question so I simply asked for comments. The audio was given a clean bill of health. Did I hear something? No, I was hearing things and that's wasn't the first time I assure you.
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HUH?? Laugh
No, really. It is amazing the things the good ears on this forum can point out. And after they do...I realize, "oh yeah, I hear that."
Would you agree that critical listening (hearing) is just as important to our final product as our vocal talents?
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jowillie wrote:
HUH?? Laugh
No, really. It is amazing the things the good ears on this forum can point out. And after they do...I realize, "oh yeah, I hear that."
Would you agree that critical listening (hearing) is just as important to our final product as our vocal talents?

I agree, but do not have a producers ear nor do I have the ear of an audio engineer. Silly as this may sound, if I hear something other than my voice in a recording or as is more often the case an ISDN feed to another studio I try to get rid of it and take advice from the experts if the problem is beyond my level of knowledge.

Critical listening is essential for both the creative and technical side of Voice Over work. There is a producer working for TM Century in Dallas who has perfected his critical listening in both areas and boy does it show in the quality of his work.
jrkaiser

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The firebox sounds quieter... in my opinion...
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by kgenus on Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genus,
I'm not hearing the file. It plays through--just no audio. Anyone else hear it?

Oh, I get it-- A Really Quiet Pre! Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: