VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slight Technical Problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bisonvoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Slight Technical Problem Reply with quote

Hi folks:
I'm having a small problem with my studio. When I test my microphone level, I can't hear anything through my computer speakers. But when I use the Audacity software & record, I can hear it when I play it back. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix it?
Thanks,
Tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Slight Technical Problem Reply with quote

bisonvoice wrote:
Hi folks:
I'm having a small problem with my studio. When I test my microphone level, I can't hear anything through my computer speakers. But when I use the Audacity software & record, I can hear it when I play it back. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix it?
Thanks,
Tom

In Audacity, try: Edit -> Preferences -> Audio I/O -> checkbox "Software Playthrough (while recording it).
bisonvoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charlie:
Just tried your idea out. I get one jim-dandy echo,lol
Tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your Windows Recording Mixer, do you have the "mic" and/or Line In selected and potted up?

Also, do you have the input monitor selected in Audacity? If so, with latency, you WILL get a horrid echo.

Frank F
bisonvoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank:
I'm using a Pyramid PR-2700 mixer.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Windows Recording Mixer is software -where you can select playback and recording devices and volume. Go to Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices and click on the Voice and Audio tabs.

You should also be able to get to Windows Recording Mixer through Audacity - Options maybe - but I'm not familiar with the program.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you MCM for the deeper explanation...

Bisonvoice: did that solve your problem?

Frank F
bisonvoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, unfortunately I'm still getting the echo. What I need is to test out the level before I start recording. Usually I can hear it through my computer speakers very well. But now, I can only hear it when I get that delay/echo.
Tom
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong on this, but it seems to me that the better test would simply be to look at the mic input meter. Deselect "thru" in Audacity. That should eliminate the echo/feedback.

The microphone icon (on the right) has a "down" triancle. Select that and choose "Monitor input". You will be able to see the signal level (mine's at -34 with the mic next to the computer without vocal input).

When you're ready to record, just hit the record button.

C
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joniv
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across this thread while searching for a solution to a similar problem in Audacity.

I'm trying to hear vocal input while recording, but I have a delay that I can't get rid of. I looked at the ideas suggested here but none seem to do it for me. Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally do not use Audacity. But I am bored tonight, so I thought I would give it a shot.

If you go the Audacity home page they have a forum for techinical problems. I used the search function with the term "latency." Here's the results.

It seems it is most likely the quality of your soundcard. However, one user recommended you record with 'Software Playthrough' DISABLED. That seemed to do it for him.

Hope that helps.
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcm wrote:
The Windows Recording Mixer is software...

...that is the work of dark forces, I say.

One program requires LINE, another wants it to be set on MIC, and another on WAV... Between Audacity, SAM2.0 and Soundforge, I had to keep the mixer panel up all the time.

Not tech-bashing here... Smile Just wondering if there's something a little more, um, easy to use...
VO-BB Member #59
Joniv
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typically don't use Audacity, either. I use Soundforge 8 Studio, which doesn't allow for real-time monitoring of recording. I'm going to download the Soundforge 8 "pro" version demo, which I'm told does. If it works then I may just have to bite the bullet and pay the $250 for it.
donrandall

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joni -

Before spending $250 for Soundforge, why not download Goldwave and try it for a while and see if you like it? It costs you nothing to use the fully featured demo for a generous free trial period and then, if you like it, it only costs around $45 to license it.

It is very easy to learn because it is quite intuitive, it is stable, works well and has a long list of well thought out tools that are easy to use and supports plug-ins to convert audio files from wav to a large variety of different compressed codecs and it also supports DirectX plug-ins as well.

Goldwave is the software used recently to resolve an old NASA controversy:

Quote:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4225505.html He used his computer to download the audio recording of Armstrong's words from a NASA Web site and analyzed the speech pattern with the GoldWave software. In the graphic tracing, he found a signature for the missing "a," evidence it was spoken and transmitted.
Joniv
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that NASA thing on the news.

I think I will try it. If it resolves my problem - awesome. If not, nothing lost.

Thanks, Don.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: