VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In desperate need of help with phone patch!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marko

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: In desperate need of help with phone patch! Reply with quote

O.K. voice over bretheren, I would love some advice here. I purchased the JK Audio AutoHybrid about a month ago and actually have my first job using it tomorrow morning. And, you guessed it, I can't get it to work properly. I tested it out before for functionality, and it seemed to work fine-with some latency issues. The part I neglected to do was to actually record a passage of text which I did tonight and it sounds horrendous. Mildly distorted and over driven along with several electronic 'pops' which do show up in the recording.

I'm using Pro Tools 6.9.2. Mic into Pre into Digi 002 into phone patch.

I created an audio track, created an output in the sends column which corresponds to the phone patch (output 3). I then created an aux track with an input which corresponds to the phone patch (input 5).

I have tried to enable 'low latency monitoring' to no avail. It simply won't let me do this and utilize the phone patch.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here? Even my audio engineer freinds are a little baffled. Granted, it's kinda tough to diagnose over the telephone but I tried to paint as clear of a picture as I possibly could.

Thanks for any help offered!

Mark
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mark,

This isn't going to be a huge help as far as fixing the issue, but I have yet to have a client actually wanted me to record the conversation portion of a phone patch session and provide it to them... they don't really care and the quality sucks!

However, in that vain I would suggest not sending from the digi to the phone patch... simply split off of your preamp... one to the digi and one to the patch. It's not a fix to your original problem, but at least it will get you through your session tomorrow.

Not being familiar with the JK product that's all I can offer. However, I know with my Symetrix TI101, if I mess with the knobs enough I can pretty much fix every problem that I've run into... Wink (aint that always the way, turn enough knobs and eventually you get the desired effect! cool )

Good luck with it.
marko

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

Thank you for the advice and I will definitely try that NOW. I should have been clearer in stating that I don't intend to record my conversation with the client. I got the unit just so they can offer direction through my headphones and I can communicate with them throught the mic. I don't even think this particular unit will record the conversation, actually.

I do appreciate your help as always!

Mark
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marko,

1 - If you're not trying to record the conversation, you've got it set up properly. Note: Recording the conversation would require a standard Audio Track, not the Aux track.

2 - Ensure the send fader on the mic track is not too hot, which is usually the problem. the easiest way to set this is to set fader to the max and adjust the gain pot on the JK until it sounds right, then you need not worry about clipping and driving the signal into distortion.

3 - Remember, gain and output volume are two different beasts.

Hope that helps!

Kevin
marko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update-

First of all, thank you kevin. I adjusted the fader and the null and the recording sounds perfect. Smile However, I'm still getting mysterious cracks
and pops intermittently that I haven't been able to get rid of. Any thoughts?

My session went really well. I tried a trick that some of you here have recommended- using an earpiece attached to a cordless phone while wearing my headphones and it worked great.

Thanks!
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very glad to hear that it went well - I couldn't offer any advice, but was mentally wringing my hands on your behalf (and clearly, it worked Smile )
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that using the ear thingy to my cell phone actually works better than my phone hybrid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
marko

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, mcm & Drew. I may actually sell my phone patch if I cannot
get those annoying electronic pops to stop!

I was surprised how well the earphone thingy worked.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing you have to worry about when using one of those ear thingys is: What if your client wants you to play back something to them?
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan-O wrote:
The only thing you have to worry about when using one of those ear thingys is: What if your client wants you to play back something to them?

That's why I haven't sold the hybrid. Often they do. The PITA for me, is I gotta remember to pot down the incoming through my mixer, or the client and the phone line rumble wind up on the recorded track.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you use a speakerphone for playback for the client? Won't be the best sound, but shouldn't it be enough?
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a great idea, room sound, poor quality mic in the 'speaker-phone', poor line quality, poor codec (GSM) and poor EQ, add up to disaster. A little Radio Shack woder works well for under $20.00 USD and is called the: Mini Recorder Control: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104040&cp=2032052.2032075.2032077.2032094&parentPage=family is a simple answer to many "Phone Patch" needs.

Frank F
schaer
Contributore Level V

Location: Las Vegas, New Mexico (yes, there is such a place...)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another device (or rather PT plugin) that you may like to try if you use Pro Tools: I am now testing a new PT plugin called Source-Live - www.source-elements.com - that allows me to let the client listen in live on a recording via the Internet. AAC/mp4 with incrdible quality sound. Fantastic product...! I also use it to broadcast. 6 seconds latency between my studio and a client in Germany. I think it is a must have! I absolutely marvel at what is possible these days!!

Best,
Bernard
SaVoa.org No. 09023
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, marko.
have you figured this out yet w/ the phone patch? just curious.

-Anthony
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My doggone Symetrix TI-101 is a thorn in my side.
I wish I knew how to make it work well.
Sometimes it does.
Today it didn't.

bleah.
I think my ego suffers more than my production, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: