VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Agents who charge fees

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Agents who charge fees Reply with quote

Now that everybody has worked up a lather over V123 (again), I wanted to bring up a similar topic - agents who charge fees. I have been thinking about the question of representation lately and have been writing some letters. The first response I had was from an agency who said they would "love to have me" - and they charge $100 per year to be on their website. The fee also gets your demos onto voicebank. I asked to see their contract, and in addition to the annual fee, they take a 20% commission. Sticking out Tongue No indication of how much work one is likely to get. They have 25 women on their roster already. The odds may be better than with V123 although I have no idea how much business this agency does. Plus, I just don't get what the annual fee is FOR. It's not like it costs much to add a few lines of html code to their website. It's not even a bricks & mortar agency so their overhead should be a lot less than that of a traditional agency. I'm not signing.

The agency doesn't mention these fees on their website, although I have seen some that do. I'm wondering if this business model is taking hold in established agencies that represent non-union talent as well or is it just the provenance of newer ones trying to take advantage of the talent desperados out there.
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just moved to Colorado a few months ago....I began contacting the local talent agencies here with my demo etc......I got 2 interested agencies.....neither one signed me exclusivly....they both want us to work together for awhile and make sure we're a good fit.....One of the 2 interested agencies however told me that if I wanted to sign with them, there was a one time fifty dollar signing fee, which would be to help cover all the promotion they would be doing on my behalf and cover my photo on their web page and including me on their demo showcase CD etc..... the other interested agency didn't mention anything about any fees......and both said their commission was 10%....and I'm non-union. So it appears that the paying an agent/agency a fee IS taking hold. I know in the old days, that was a sign you were being scammed if an agent or agency took additional money other than the commission....now adays that's not necessarily the case I don't think.

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
Former Commandant of the Marine Corps
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A modest one-time fee to be listed on a website that you know for a fact gets lots of hits and your are one of a few isn't a big problem - but there are lots of agents who don't charge anything to be on their website. The listing in Voicebank.net does cost the agent money.

But most costs should be part of the agent's cost of doing business - especially if they are charging you 20% - which is pretty high, but lots of non-union agents do. Non-union agents can ask for anything they want. You might want to find out if this agent also charges an agency fee to the client - again a lot do - so they end up making 40% on any work you do.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between 10% and 15% is about the right rate for commission. $100 to be on a website and to be included on the Voicebank seems fair as there is a cost for the latter. It's right to ask questions of an agent but also worth bearing in mind that unless you are a real "Voice Over somebody" they really don't need you.

My view of agents remains the same as ever. To quote Groucho Marx "I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member".
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this agent in PA? that seems to be the m.o. over there.
the practice of charging to put your demo online is growing, but yeah - it does cost money to be part of VB.

20% is way too high - there are some personal managers who might charge this amount but technically they're not really supposed to be booking jobs for you

i say, depending on your level, do it for one year and write it off as ad costs - cheaper than the v123 or IV's and you'll be actually exposed to a REAL market

-Anthony
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My agent doesn't charge for inclusion on the website (but reminds me and the other talents on a fairly regular basis). She's now charging a $75 sign-up fee, but she says that's mostly to discourage the half hearted wannabes.

The other legit agents in town charge $100 to $200 for inclusion in their website.

An agency I'm with in Georgia doesn't charge you to be on their site, but lists all of their auditioners alphabetically on the client's audition page, except those who pay $100 a year for a bio page. They get listed above the rest and get a star next to their name. I don't really care. I've gotten some fine jobs through them without the "star".

B
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't really say what's "normal" but for whatever its worth... my agent has always charged an annual fee to include me on their demo CD, website etc (currently $175). I suppose I could refuse to pay it but I don't see how that would be in my best interest.
JeffK
T-Shirt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The agent I had in Dallas charged an annual fee that included listing on VoiceBank and their normal fee was 10%. My current agent does not charge an anuual fee, no VoiceBank and collects 20%. I obviously like the Dallas deal better but I do enjoy the relationship I currently have. For what it's worth, I think the small investment is money well spent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: