VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beginners Studio Setup
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
billelder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Beginners Studio Setup Reply with quote

I got an e-mail today from a nice lady that's just getting started in VO's and now sees the need for a studio in her home. She doesn't want to sink lots of money into it yet, but wants respectable quality. I gave her four options to start. She already has a working computer w/ Sound Blaster sound card.

I was wondering what you would suggest or your thoughts?

Here was my list to her.

Mixer -Eurorack UB802 $60

Mic -Shure SM 58 $95

Mic stand and cables $30

Audacidy Wav editor and Music Match Jukebox to convert WAV to MP3.

Also the Sound Blaster PCI 128 which you can get on E-Bay for about $15.

I chose the Shure because it wouldn't pickup as much room noice as a condenser. That's about as "inexpensive" as I can get it. <g>
Edo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginners Studio Setup Reply with quote

I would get rid of the Sound Blaster immediately because of the fact that it is so easy to overmodulate the thing. Furthermore the signal-to-noise ratio isn't all that impressive. It will turn out to be the weakest link in the chain you mentioned. If you choose to go with equipment in the cheaper price regions, the last thing you want is rely on a poor soundcard. One of the big flaws of the pci 128 is that it is not shielded against other pci-cards in the PC system. For instance, a much heard thing is that the 128 is noisy when you move your mouse. Most graphics cards interfere (like magnetic fields) with most Sound Blaster models. You might want to go and seek a better soundcard.
billelder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Edo,

I'm not pretending to be the final answer. I was just trying to give inexpensive options. Do you have a particular sound card you would recommend?
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: There are a lot of options... Reply with quote

There are a bunch of options for both software and hardware which are quite good and fairly inexpensive, Bill. The question is what's the budget?

Some great "freeware" which Dave DeHart let me in on is from http://www.nch.com.au/ called "WavePad". It's just a download away.

Hardware on the other hand can be as expensive or as inexpensive as you wish. Although the Soundblaster stuff is generally NOT what you are looking for - the newer Audigy II ZS Platinum is not a bad card with multiple I/O's and 24/48 capabilities and it's priced around $150.00 USD now on eBay.

If you are willing to spend a few dollars more and don't want to add a PCI card to the computer try the M-Audio FireWire Audiophile Computer Recording Interface (about $200.00 USD from Musicians Friend) would be a great little setup without having to break the bank (2 Mic, 2 line in (L,R RCA), SPDIF and 4 out).

There are Mic's which won't break the bank either from the SM-58 to the MXL 990 Cardiod Condenser for $60.00 USD. Then again you can spend several hundred on an AKG or several thousand on a Neuman U87 Gold.

Your suggestions are accurate, just make it a little better with a bit better equipment.

Frank F

Last edited by Frank F on Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Edo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Bill: I would agree with Frank on the M-Audio stuff. Lotsa pro goodies and reasonably priced as well. That company was recently acquired by Digidesign and thus part of the Avid/Pro Tools empire.
billelder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you all. But, in my original post I said this was a "nice lady that's just getting started in VO's and now sees the need for a studio in her home. She doesn't want to sink lots of money into it yet.

She had been using a computer mic and her CPU to record herself. Both of her jobs have been in a studio. Her husband isn't convinced that this is going to yield the $$$ to justify putting lots of money into a setup. The computer already had the SB card. She wants the ability to record herself and maybe send a demo to potential clients. I got the feeling that a couple-a-hundred dollars for a different sound card might be over the allowed budget.

BTW, anyone had any experience with the Tascam US122? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/s=mixers/search/detail/base_id/105150

I've heard both good and bad. I have a friend who just bought one and loves it.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:13 am    Post subject: ...another thought.... Reply with quote

Well, being as you put it that way... use the SB, but suggest at the first sign of $$$, get something that will work better, cleaner, and be more professional... (I know, look who's talkin' - I talk to myself and get paid for it....). Remember the PCI 128 is really a simplex card for 44.1 Stereo. It drops to 8 bit on playback when in duplex mode.

The 122 is adequate, although there are some problems interfacing with certain programs - i.e.: Vegas, Audition, Pro Tools, etc. - something to do with the ASIO drivers...and for $200.00 new???? The best part about the 122 is it includes "phantom power" and is a mixer too.

Spend $99.00 for the M-Audio Aduiophile 2496, the Terratec Phase 22 - 4 Channel 24.96, (*** my favorite choice of these "under $100.00 sound cards; although she really does not need all the tricks and toys) The M-Audio Delta 410 PCI, the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 - to name a few. Or see what you can find eBay for a reasonable price.

I am not a fan of USB audio devices - yet. The majority still use USB 1.0 -not 2.0. The previous is not fast enough throughput for sustained audio/video. At least in my observation. There are some passable USB 2.0 devices for audio, which again, are in the $100.00 price point.

I could bore you - and her, with the stats, but find something which is really capable of 24/96 duplex (even though you will likely be using 16/44.1 for the majority of work). When necessary, this is a must have - I have several clients who even request the next step for "Surround Sound" - 24/196 AC3 - so it's another thought.

You did not mention the speed of the PC, the amount of memory, the amount of storage space, and what OS she would be using. All these items also play a factor in the ability for her to perform the work she is looking towards.

Also, the mic factor again - there is the Behringer, the Nady, other MXL's, etc. for less than $100.00. I DO suggest a "condenser" microphone - for many reasons I won't go into here - especially for the female voice - a condensor is a "must have".

Add some Sonex or something like that, to the mix, for a quieter area to record inside, and now she might have a passable and workable, for the first little while, "home studio".

With a "good" to "great" setup she will have little trouble and be set for years to come. With a "poor man's (woman's) setup - she can "make do" for a little while - however she would always be looking for something better and more expensive.

Frank F
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Nice lady comes out of closet Reply with quote

I don't know how many nice ladies write to Bill-- probably a lot, because he is such a nice gentleman-- but I'm pretty sure I'm the one he was referring to. This is what I ended up buying: the Behringer mixer, some comfy AT headphones, and a Røde NT1A microphone (and a baby boom mic stand & Shure pop-stopper). They seem to be working pretty well for me so far. The sound card is still the SB Audigy2, but it ain't welded in. I haven't bought any software and am trying out Audacity. I can't save the files as mp3 without the lame_enc.dll which I downloaded but it doesn't work. I'm sure I'm missing something. So for now I'm stuck with big wav files.

The computer btw is a Dell Precision 360 workstation with XP, 120 GB hard drive and 1 GB RAM. And an awesome graphics card. Wish the sound card were as awesome.

Thanks again for your help, Bill, and to all you others for your thoughts.
jrkaiser

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I would do for audio card alternatives... Get the Tascam device (never tried) that Bill mentioned earlier, or the Lexicon Omega is really nice, the M-audio products are great as well.

Try to move the sound inputs out of your computer and run Pro audio inputs into a USB input device. The computer itself with a sound card is not the best setup. Don't even think "Sound Card". Try to get S/PDIF inputs if possible.

Your audio chain would be as follows... Mic -> Pre/Processor -> Mixer (Not really needed) -> USB Sound Input -> Computer.

A gig of ram is perfect for what you will be doing.

If you can't afford Adobe Audition, or some other similar program, try Audacity. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Any questions, just ask!
jrkaiser

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received a private message about what to use to put a studio together for a budget of 15-2000... Thought I would share my response.

Keep it simple... Don't overthing everything. I tend to do that so let me save you the time. THE FEWER THE PARTS, THE FEWER THE FAILURE POINTS, THE CLEANER THE SOUND! If you've got the cash, go with the better equipment now rather than later.

For a beginner today are much better equipment prices and availability than 10 or even 5 years ago.

You've already got a good computer that will last you for the next couple of years.

If you are doing straight VO work here's what you need...

Mic - Behringer B1 or B2 Pro $100-150. Or MXL 990 (I think) $70. All 3 sound really good for the pricepoint

Pre/Processor - A lot of people are spending their money on the Symetrix 528's. They are decent, but more for broadcast and not VO. I had one, it made me sound great... I decided to move up.

Mixer - I've got a Tascam Midi Control Surface, but I think I like the Alesis USB Multi-mix better and it doubles as a sound card... This will eliminate the sound card and gives you a mixer... less noise and fewer failure points. http://www.zzounds.com/item--ALEMULTIMIX8USB

Sound Card - You'll want to go S/PDIF if possible... look for a USB or Firewire input. See Above.

Mic Stands/Arm - Look for O.C. White or Luxo. There are some cheapies online at E-bay, but for day to day use they do not hold up. $100 from BSWUSA.com

Acoustic Foam - Spend some time and money on this. You want to make sure you've got a dead room that quiets everything else down. Heavy blankets are good too. If you buy new you are talking $2-300 minimum. See if you can find a station somewhere that has some left over. Get to know the engineers really well.

Monitors - To Hear your Mix... $3-400... Behringer Truth's are nice. Look at the Mackies, Events, and Rockits.

For the price, I like the Behringer stuff... it isn't as durable as Mackie etc... but if properly cared for will certainly provide years of service. Once you've got some good steady clients, look at upgrading but not until then.

Shop around at zzounds.com, musiciansfriend.com, sweetwater.com, fullcompass.com, and BSWUSA.com

Justin
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Sound cards Reply with quote

Earlier in this thread, my sound card was dissed. I'm not sure what is so wrong with the Sound Blaster Audigy 2. According to itself,

"Sound Blaster Audigy 2 delivers high-quality multi-channel recording and playback at up to 24-bit/96kHz and is the first PC product to offer playback of Advanced Resolution™ DVD-Audio at an astonishing 24-bit/192kHz with a stunning Signal-to-Noise ratio of 106dB, delivering spectacular audio quality that has now redefined PC audio standards. With EAX® ADVANCED HD™, 6.1 speaker support and Dolby Digital® EX support, movies and games will be experienced with a breathtaking level of immersion and intensity, while Firewire® allows super-fast transfer of audio to external players."

Is it really such a bad card?

Mary

schaer
Contributore Level V

Location: Las Vegas, New Mexico (yes, there is such a place...)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had originally purchased the Audigy 2 and I think it is a pretty good card but then I found Digidesign's MBox and Digi 002. I decided to return the Audigy 2 - hadn't used it yet - and buy the Digi 002 but I think in hindsight the Mbox would have been sufficient (I think Deirdre is using it). Either one of them eliminates the whole soundcard issue, mixer and preamp for your mic. I am currently using an Audix CX-111. I am very happy with that setup. It sounds great and Pro Tools is fun work with. I bought my 3" accoustical foam from these guys on ebay: http://stores.ebay.com/Foam-Factory-Inc_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm. Works grat at a great price.

Bernard
jrkaiser

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://stores.ebay.com/Foam-Factory-of-Canada

http://stores.ebay.com/Foam-Factory-Inc
Latech70

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have another question (or two, or three, or...) about the home studio setup. Does one of the pieces of equipment (pre/processor, maybe?) help to filter out background noises such as the humming of a PC's cooling fans and let your voice come through clearly? My PC is not the quietest I've ever been around. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't make any loud, obnoxious sounds--but, the fans do make a rather audible hum. Plus, the room which I will more then likely be converting into my home studio is not very big. So, it's not like I will be able to position the mic 20 feet from the computer. And, given the high quality mics used to do VO, I'm pretty sure it will be picked up.

Also, do most of you use a mic stand that sits on the floor or do you attach it to something like your computer desk or to the wall? I know that there is a thread somewhere on here where some have shared pictures of their studio setups. But, could some of you maybe post some pics of where you have your mic situated in relation to the rest of your equipment?

I really, really appreciate everyone's help and patience with all my newbie questions. Thanks to one and all!
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fan noise is a problem that can't really be addressed in the studio. A noise gate only keeps the fan noise at by while you are silent; the sound will be present in the background while you are speaking. You need to either make a baffle box for your CPU or move it the heck outta the room.

A lot of folks have their computers outside of their studios-- even just outside the studio door. Others have a soundproof box which opens in the front for loading of CDs, etc. I gave up and bought a PowerBook.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: