VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Travelin' Computer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Travelin' Computer Reply with quote

Anyone know of a reasonably priced laptop that's good for traveling VO types? For years I've been using a Toshiba Satellite with an Intel Celeron M. Surprisingly it had a decent sound card that would duplex and actually put out a pretty good sound file for travel purposes.

Since then Toshi's been through the wars. I spilled Fruity O's on his keyboard. Now using a USB keyboard. While groping, him a TSA agent dropped him. Two USB ports shot. Stuff like that. And just last week, Toshi went blind. His screen blinked out for good. Now I've got a big, fat CRT monitor plugged into him.

So, after some research I got another Toshiba Celeron yesterday thinking at least the sound card would be okay. Pfft! First, tried loading Cool Edit 2. Nothin' doing. Neither the software nor the computer wanted to go to that dance. Okay, let's try AA 1.5. It loaded, but with "compatability issues" with W7. But it did load and it played back. But when I did some test recordings....blech! Toshiba along with Microsoft did an entire re-do of the sound card and controls. There ain't no real mixer options on this thing. Mostly defaults for doofus users with headsets and Logitech Playskool mics. Plus, it don't duplex. I can suffer on the road w/o duplex, but the crappy audio quality won't cut it. The Toshiba tech on the phone tried to be helpful, but after about an hour, he even suggested I take it back as the sound card was simply not up to spec for the work I do.

Any thoughts on machines that will process decent audio? Also thinking maybe an exterior USB sound card. At this point 1.5 will work...it just changes the OS from 64bit to 32bit...which I was fully expecting. But it can't find an internal mixer.

While I'd love to move to a Mac...this ain't the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought an Acer Aspire AS1410-2039 and I LOVE it!
FaffCon
TalkerTees
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lookin' at that model, too. No issues..decent sound, eh?
Might have to have BB ship it in, but I got a couple of weeks. Also thinking just a small flat screen monitor for the time being, since I'll be driving and not flying. Then I'll just push Toshi a little longer till he spits them Fruity O's back at me for one last time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm loving it and I read a review somewhere that specifically praised the soundcard! And it's so quiet.
FaffCon
TalkerTees
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: