VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On the the business of today
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apageloman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: On the the business of today Reply with quote

Okay gang there is a ton of extraneous chat on here about any number of subjects but there is also a lot of really great info as well so I'm hoping that y'all can lend a 'rube' a hand. What are some of the best marketing techniques you've used to get your name out there and land your first few jobs, I'm dying on the vine here and need to get something going. Your thoughts as always are appreciated
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quick start programme.

1 Get a list of around 100 telephone numbers of people who use voice overs.

2 Call them. Introduce yourself"Do you ever use freelance voice overs in your productions (assuming yes) Great! May I send you a demo CD? (do not pause) You're allowed to say no by the way. That's wonderful. (Confirm details and say goodbye)

3 At the end of the phone session send the demo's. Your target is to have sent 50 by the end of this exercise.

4 Give it a few days and then call again. Introduce yourself again. "I spoke to a few days ago and promised I'd send you my voice over demo and I'm just checking in with you to ensure it's arrived safely". DO not ask for feed back, do not ask for feed back. When they say yes and usually start to say "but I haven't had chance to listen....". Say clearly that you weren't looking for feedback you were just checking it had arrived, say thanks again and add you look forward to hearing from them. You're dying to ask for feedback aren't you? Don't you ****ing dare!!!

That's it, end of process. After a few weeks and 50 demo's if you have not had one person hire you it's unlikely anyone ever will. If one person hires you that could be luck, if two people hire you then you're onto something.
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Phillip, what you're saying is... don't ask for feedback? Wink Just checking.

I must admit, I hate cold-calling people, but it is more effective than mass e-mails.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhouston67 wrote:

I must admit, I hate cold-calling people, but it is more effective than mass e-mails.

Only if your mass emails look like mass emails.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cold calling, emails, snail mail, parties, seminars, classes, search engines, friends & family, advertising.

That's it - easy right?

-Anthony
JeffK
T-Shirt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I must admit, I hate cold-calling people

Anthony summed it up, you need to pursue every and all angles. I have to say though that the phone calls make a ton of sense. Think about it, what are you trying to sell? It's your voice, right? What better way to solicit that than a phone call. Not one of those that I called slapped me, hung up on me, or yelled obscenities. I must admit that I only began calling last week and I don't have any dollars to show for those calls but I do feel I have some very, very solid leads that I will be following up with in a few days. Just my $0.02
dhouston67

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often when you call a business, you first speak to a receptionist or other front-line person who is trained to deflect what they consider "sales calls". When you're collecting numbers, do you try to find direct numbers of the people who are likely to say yes?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
JeffK
T-Shirt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to reply using a BlackBerry so I am not sure how this will turn out...but here goes...
I introduced myself to the receptionist and asked if they used freelance VO (thank you Banksey!). If they said yes I asked them who makes the hiring decisions. I got their name and most transferred me to that person. Kill 'em with kindness is my motto!
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip, I've been following this thread saying to myself, "A child could do it!"
But there's something about that first item on your list that has me puzzled...

Banksey wrote:
Get a list of around 100 telephone numbers of people who use voice overs.

When I try to think of 50, let alone 100 people that use voice-overs, I'm a little confused. I live in a large town with tons of retail and eating establishments. But most of those places have established contracts because they are connected to retail chains. I would think that most of the "mom & pop" stores wouldn't be interested in their own :30 second radio commercial, let alone pay for the air time. Are you implying to just randomly grab 100 businesses out of the "yellow pages" that are not connected to chain outlets, and start dialing?... or is everything fair game?
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much more efficient to go for the production companies, ad agencies and radio stations, since those are likely to be where the retailers will go also. But it would not hurt to call some o fthe retailers, or visit them, to find out whom they do call when they need an ad.

I had an experience yesterday that was much better than email or phone calls -I went to a business-to-business expo where I got to meet actual 3D people and spend several hours talking to people about what they do and what I do. It was the perfect setting - because these businesses had set this entire day aside to talk to prospective clients and vendors. There was not a chance of walking up to someone and having them NOT want to talk. Quite a wonderful morning.
Christopher French
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhouston67 wrote:

When I think about cold calling people, I think back to my days as both a satillite dish salesman and a debt collector. Neither were very fun jobs but I always managed to make a sale or two or collect a dollar or two. One person actually sent a letter to the collection agency I worked for and told them that they had the best experience ever with a debt collector in working with me. . .I'm still wondering, seven years later, if that was a compliment or not. . .

"The only limitations we truly have are the ones we place on ourselves." -Attributed to Donald Trump
dhouston67

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher French wrote:
I'm still wondering, seven years later, if that was a compliment or not. . .

Dude: if someone goes out of their way to say nice things about a bill collector, you can rest assured it was a compliment.
scooter2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: On the the business of today Reply with quote

Who to cold call..where are the contacts?

Back in my younger day..in the big city of Los Angeles, the Sunday paper help wanted display ads came through many times. The bigger the ad..quarter page, half page etc..the better the chance they had some kind of a department..marketing, training etc. that used voices.

In the small markets, the same tactic can work with the bigger ads in the yellow pages.

And than too..there are always the business pages in your local newspapers.

It's amazing how many places there are out there waiting for your cold call.

You gotta look to find..and you can't hit if you don't shoot.

scooter
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
Get a list of around 100 telephone numbers of people who use voice overs.

First rule of advocacy.

"Never ask a question to which you do not already know the answer".

The list should consist of people who you know do use freelance voice overs or are highly likely to use them. The initial approach must get you to the decision maker or at least get the name of the person.

Following the process using qualified leads will establish if you are likely to make some money as a voice over. I've simplified it for the purpose of a posting here, in reality it's probably a half day coaching session or 1 hour podcast.
skynet74

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a pen and paper and devote a day or two just listening to your Local radio Stations. Then write down every commercial you hear. At the end of the day you will have a 100 percent accurate list of Businesses who you know for sure all use Voice Talent. Seems like a good start to me. How about you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: