VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Telecoaching: what to expect?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy James
Contributor II

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Telecoaching: what to expect? Reply with quote

I've been investigating VO coaches for a while now, and am leaning toward the name that seems to be the gold standard in the biz: Nancy Wolfson. Nancy has a bit of a "take no prisoners" reputation, but almost everyone I've heard talk about her has said she's the absolute best.

Any insights into what to expect and how to get the most out of the sessions? What's studying with Nancy like?

Thanks all,
Billy
Mike Sommer
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be ready and warmed up
Pay attention
Follow directions

Marc Cashman is good too. And it's truly best to get as many different perspectives as possible. Every coach as something new to offer.

Acoustics are counter-intuitive. If one thing is certain about acoustics, it is that if anything seems obvious it is probably wrong.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting the Nancy treatment right now and it's already made me a better performer.

Be ready to learn. There's a lot she can teach you that you didn't even know you didn't know.

With Nancy Wolfson behind you, the only way you won't succeed is if your scuttle your own ship.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy,

All of my coaching session with Nancy have been on the phone. I think it's a great way to study with her and my work with her starting in early 2007 put rocket motors on my voiceover business. (Define "rocket motors"? Annual growth of about 40% each year. 2007. 2008. 2009. Running true to form year-to-date in 2010.)

(edited to fix typo)
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch

Last edited by bobsouer on Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Billy James
Contributor II

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Mike:
Marc Cashman was definitely on my short list. But Nancy seems to get such rapturous reviews...

@Bob:
Your email recommendation from a few weeks ago is a big part of why Nancy looks to be my pick. Rowell Gormon says some very positive things about her too.

@DB:
Yours is is the kind of recommendation one looks for about a coach. (Bob's "40% a year" is pretty good too...!)

In one of his Top Tips, Phillip Banks made a comment to the effect of "a coach should make YOU sound like YOU." I heard Nancy on a VO seminar saying almost exactly the same thing the other day. Plus she seems to have a real handle on the importance of focus and branding. IOW, she's on top of how to help a VO's marketing efforts cut thru all the cheese.

(Hmm -- that last part didn't come out right...)

That three of my favorite commenters here all give Nancy a thumbs-up makes me think this is probably the way to go.
bransom
DC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy,

I studied with her, also, and can't say enough good things about her and the coursework. All the study was by phone, by the way.

Her reputation for being tough comes, I think, not because she's mean — she's not; rather, she's quick. If you're blowing a read, she's not going to blow smoke up your butt about it. She'll stop you, tell you what's wrong, and have you do it again. Think "efficient."

But do your homework. When you're studying with her, pre-read the scripts and think about what you're going to do with them, listen to the audio segments she has you buy, etc. When you phoner starts, be ready to work immediately. Do this and you'll move forward FAST.

Bob
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do a phone session with any coach make sure you do a phone patch session so your hands are not left holding the phone. Free yourself of the handset.
Melanie Haynes
Contributor III

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nancy is fantastic!! I chose to work with her (by phone) after being in the business for over 25 years because she just has everything so detailed and organized. She has a great mind. I'd never really had any formal coaching before - other than a workshop here and there. It's just amazing to me how she's put her whole course together. Can't say enough about her intellect.

She's tough but just about not letting you get by with what you've gotten by with for a long time.....

I thoroughly enjoyed working with her, and I was always a little nervous before our sessions. Definitely do your homework. I did, and I was still nervous!

There are some other really nice folks out there who know their business, but Nancy just has a different approach to the copy and an edge that made me decide to go for it. You won't regret working with her, and you will definitely get better!
COURVO
Even Taller Than He Seems On TV

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll concur on all accounts with Nancy, except what Eddie said. Nancy prefers you work with a wired landline handset, not a wireless handset, and not a headset, wired or wireless.

I tried. She heard the difference, and called me on it.

I told Nancy once that I dreaded every session with her...but was ever-so-glad when I was done with the hour. I told her it was because she moved me out of my comfort zone, and made me try new things, and that was disconcerting for me.

I eventually came to respect that, because it made me better, and moved me into new territory of growth, which is what a coach is supposed to do!

CourVO
Courvo's "Voice Acting in Vegas" Blog: http://www.CourVO.biz
on your phone at courvo.mobi
"I'm not a news anchor, but I play one on TV."
Billy James
Contributor II

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.

I almost get the feeling I'm in for the same kind of experience that Skywalker kid from Tatooine had when he signed up for a 6-pack of sessions with Yoda.

"No no! Unlearn what you think you know, you must! Real you must be! Sucked, that last read did!"

Hopefully this one ends with me being the one that levitates the X-Wing out of the swamp....

(Sorry folks -- geeked out there for a second...)
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COURVO wrote:
I'll concur on all accounts with Nancy, except what Eddie said. Nancy prefers you work with a wired landline handset, not a wireless handset, and not a headset, wired or wireless.

I tried. She heard the difference, and called me on it.

CourVO

A phone patch with mic directly into the patch is a good clean link and she'll hear what you would sound like out of your studio. Well worth the time with Nancy.
Melanie Haynes
Contributor III

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree with Eddie. I worked via my (land line) phone patch on my mic and it was more like doing a real session. I'm not sure I would have been comfortable holding a phone while working....although I've worked in some awfully strange set ups before!!
COURVO
Even Taller Than He Seems On TV

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie and Melanie...

Abbo-lutely! That's the BEST configuration. Why didn't I think of that? Probably 'cause I do all my phone patches through SKYPE, and she didn't prefer that either.

Dave C
Courvo's "Voice Acting in Vegas" Blog: http://www.CourVO.biz
on your phone at courvo.mobi
"I'm not a news anchor, but I play one on TV."
imaginator
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billy

you've probably already read my blog post about nancy and i know we've exchanged emails already. but your quip about the "yoda" thing was exactly the first thought i had on my first session with her.

man! what a lot to un-learn.

also another note i'll make about nancy's style: i quickly grew to appreciate her immediate interruptions...sometimes within just a few words. it told me she valued my time and didn't want to let me go through a whole take on the wrong track. after all, you are paying by the hour. why not get the absolute most out of every minute?

btw...am still working on even approaching bob's ROI but can still attest to improvements, and specific comments by certain clients i've gotten better-paying gigs from.

please let me know how it goes for you, whichever direction you go.
Rowell Gormon's Clogged Blog - http://voices2go.com/blog
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, Nancy's the bomb.

Doing my demo with her was a good move---got me signed with a couple of agencies that I suspect might have passed on me if I had proffered my
"homemade" demo.

I'm a Nancy grad as well, and while I can't boast of increases ala Bob Souer,
she definitely taught me a lot---and continues to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: