VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NT1-a or AT 3035

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmdiaz23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: NT1-a or AT 3035 Reply with quote

I own the AT3035 and it does well on my voice, I find it a bit to bright on my wife's VOs. I keep reading that the Rode has a warm sound and is also quiet.

She sounds good on the Sm58 but it doesn't have that full sound like a condensor has. Any takes, I really need a quiet mic.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better to deal with the brightness by adjusting the EQ as both mics are good bearing in mind their prices so swapping an inexpensive mic for another will not achieve a great deal. I imagine you'll lose as much as you gain.
billelder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Banksey on this. A slight tweek on the EQ can do wonders.

Rode is a great mic. Very nice sound. What kind of "quiet" are you needing? Are you hearing room noise? A condenser will pick up more than a cardioid SM58 which is more directional. Have you tried the MXL 990? Also, for $10 more the 990s with -10dB pad and 150Hz low-cut switch. I use the Studio Projects B-1. It has a nice warm sound. There are so many choices. Some sound great and some don't. The only way to know is to find someone with a good return policy and try a few. Good luck with this!
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Rode NT1-A, that's what I started with. I don't much care for it and no longer use it.

If you're wanting "quiet", and if that means a mic that isn't going to pick up a lot of extraneous noise, the Rode NT1-A isn't the best choice, as it's pretty sensitive at 18 mV/Pa. The Neumann TLM 103 is more sensitive than that at 21 mv/Pa.

If you have the cash (about $1100 US), the Soundelux U195 is a great mic for a woman's voice, and it's much less sensitive than the mics mentioned above at 14 mV/Pa. Warm, smooth, wonderful. I can't use it myself because my voice is just too darn quiet - I need a more sensitive mic.

Good luck Smile
pmdiaz23

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone... My budget right now is $400 tops.

After getting her some consistent work I will probably go for a higher end mic.
I had read on more than 1 site that the Rode was considered very quiet. I just wanted to hear what results people, actually females were getting on this mic. I almost bought a Neumann on ebay lost on bidding. check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7405017845&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT&rd=1

I guess I'll keep using the SM58 running through my dbx286a and keep searching. the Guitar Centers here in Miami are a pain about letting you try out the mics and they have no return policy!
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rode NTK is a good mic. Used it for years and know some Female Talent that use it too. They can be bought used for around $350 or less.
Tren Hester
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Rode NT1-A For Sale Reply with quote

Bought a new NT1-A in August '05 ($199). Took me a couple of days of EQing to fit my voice, and it's been kicking ever since. IMHO, it's a low noise, clean signal mic.

I'm ready to make the move up to a Neumann, and posted the Rode for sale a few weeks ago:

Rode NT1-A microphone (with SM1 shockmount), Mogami mic cable (15 ft), and Shure PS-6 pop filter for $180.
Includes original box and manuals.

htren@hotmail.com
pmdiaz23

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys think of an SM7b for $300?
steeleman
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: rode nt1a Reply with quote

Based on the MIC shootout that someone posted the link to on this site...
I bought and tried out an RODE NT1-a. I Absolutely love it. I use
it for all my vo's. I've used anAKG c 3000, Marshall MXL 2001 and
now this! I like it. One thing it does have a bit HIGH end which as stated
may need to be adjusted at the mic pre amp end! Rode NTK and K2 are good
too! For a womans voice...the RE 20 is still a good mic for a lot voices.
Also the RE27...!
pmdiaz23

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said this on the other post... I bought the SM7b for her... The next day a buddy came over and offered me 150 for my AT3035, I accepted and ran back to G.C. and picked up the NT1-a for $180... I dont regret it at all, for what I do the Rode is much better than the AT.

I post this just so the next Joe can read!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: