VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Direct X Plugins

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Direct X Plugins Reply with quote

If you had a pool of money (amount not an issue), but could only buy ONE Direct X Plugin for your recording/editing/processing program......what would be the one Plugin that would be most useful to you and be the one that you would have to buy? I'm thinking for me it would be
Waves new "Z-Noise" noise reduction plugin (800 bucks).

***EDIT***
Let me qualify this....if you already own the most useful plugin.....what is it?

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
Former Commandant of the Marine Corps

Last edited by Tom Greenlee on Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead, buy the Waves Platinum Bundle. There are several great products within the bundle that are nice.

Better yet, buy Sony Vegas, and use the plugs-in from Vegas: Noise Reducer, Noise Gate, Graphic EQ, Parmetric EQ, Reverb, Compressor, Wave Hammer (a personal favorite), etc., all very nice and included in the package. Plus, you get one of the better Audio and Video packages around. I like Adobe Audition for it's editing capabilities, but for multi-track and video sweetening, including HD video capabilities - it's Vegas all the way. Oh, it's PC only.

There are also a lot of 'share-ware' Direct X plug-ins, that work well. The key is to try a few and find what works for your environment and style.

Good luck on the choice.

Frank F
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Frank.....although I wasn't really gearing this toward myself.....I'm just curious about what everyone individually finds most important in their own recording/editing/processing. I'm interested to know how everyone as an individual prioritizes based on their own environment/style etc.....But that was an excellent suggestion for me personally....thanks!

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
Former Commandant of the Marine Corps
pmdiaz23

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For VO's I don't use too many plugins.. I use a little compression, eq and a de-esser when needed.

Now if your singing WAVE Platinum is nice!
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmdiaz23 wrote:
For VO's I don't use too many plugins.

Same here, most of my processing for VO is done when tracking through my ISA 220. Basically just use the C1 Noise Gate on the final version and normalize it to -1 and that's it. When it's a mixed spot, I put just a touch of Waves Rcomp then normalize it at -1.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TGG,

If I had a pool of money, I'd buy the hardware, not the plugin, but since that's your question I would buy a Waves bundle that included the Ren. Compressor. Excellent compression with vintage modeling. Remember, if you can hear the compressor working, it's too much.

In terms of EQ, if you feel that you need to eq heavily, then perhaps you do not have the most effective mic/preamp combination for your voice. For instance, with my voice, if I use my U87, I scoop at 300hz adding a shelf between 10khz and 12khz, the 416 gets nada, then there's "Black Magic" which I don't really discuss.... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: