VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use of Mic In vs. Line In jack on sound cards

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Use of Mic In vs. Line In jack on sound cards Reply with quote

I always thought that the Line In jack was the way to go but was surprised to learn that some VO people use the Mic In jack and get great sound. Now I'm wondering how widespread this is.

I have always gotten crummy volume and thought it was just my light voice. But I realised in the course of many tests in the last few days that I can't get my volume up above 50% - I can still get clipping, but the clipping is at 50% also! I tried the Mic In jack on my Soundblaster card this evening and the volume was fine. I don't have that option with the Echo Mia card I bought recently, and I can't get decent volume on that either.

So, how many of you use a card that has a Mic In jack, and of those, how many actually use it?

Just curious.
donrandall

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary, I use "line in" on my soundcard. I can get plenty of volume, that is not a problem. I record at a volume much lower than you might think. I sometimes get an occasional peak that sticks up like a sore thumb even when the rest of the track is averaging somewhere around -5 or -6 or maybe a bit less - and keeping the average relatively low allows the headroom necessary to accomodate the peaks.

I can easily achieve much higher levels simply by adjusting the input level in Goldwave above the 25% input setting I am using. Even at that software setting, I am not running my Presonus Eureka hard at all, I can crank it up a bit and get all the volume I want.

Since you are not able to get enough input level, I am wondering if there is a setting that needs adjustment somewhere in Windows or in your editing software.
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mary,

I'm currently using PT and Mbox, but when I was using a Soundblaster Audigy II Card, I tested both the line in mic in jacks and found that the mic in jack had significantly more line noise than the line in... My understanding is that this is due to the inexpensive pre-amps that are installed on most home and gaming use sound cards.

I personally would shy away from using the mic jack, but others I'm sure will disagree and will have very different experiences than I.

Good Luck,
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd. I use "mic in". Always have. When I use "line in" that's when I have volume issues and a noisy signal. So, what am I doing wrong that's "right"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the difference is whether you're using a mic input, that contains pre-amp circuitry. Some pre circuits are just plain noisy, because not a lot has been built into them, including power conditioning, etc.

Line in is used with a mixer or external pre. There is a by-pass of the mic pre circuit.

With the Mbox, for example, I found the pre's noisy with a dynamic mic. Just not enough juice. I could get more drive into my system, but I had to crank the pre up too close to its margin and the noise would also increase. Using an external mixer worked fine and I used the line in with good results.

Some mic inputs are better than others.

C
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
donrandall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary - I just thought of something else. I doubt that this is something you would have missed, but just in case, check all your outboard components and see if there is some some of volume reduction switch or button. For instance, on my Presonus Eureka PreAmp, there is a -20dB button. IF I were to accidently and unknowingly push that button, my signal coming from that unit would be very low, which would drive me nuts until I figured out what caused it.
billelder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some cards use a combined mic/line configuration. In Windows they are all controlled by the little volume control and some have their own interface. I've grown fond of the USB or Firewire method. Also, there are programs that you can open on your computer that can completely change the configuration of your sound card or interface. For instance, Rhapsody music service always changes my card from regular to "wide" every time I adjust the volume. So, it's a good thing to check often. I don't use XP, but in 98SE I go to My Computer/ Control Panel and Multimedia.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

donrandall wrote:
For instance, on my Presonus Eureka PreAmp, there is a -20dB button.

Ditto on the 002-Rack. That switch drove me absolutely crazy one week.

I guess it should be mentioned that there's a difference between the outputs for commercial versus consumer grade products.

Output levels are fixed at +4dBu in commercial gear. a TRS jack is used. For consumer grade equipment, the output level is fixed at -10dBV. Typically, a RCA connector is used.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Line in is used with a mixer or external pre. There is a by-pass of the mic pre circuit.

I use line in since I go through my dbx pre-amp, and haven't tried mic in at all. I use a Soundblaster sound card, which has given me no problems (tho now that I'm reading this, I wonder about grounding certain elements, and perhaps there's an answer here as to why I can't quite hook up my phone hybrid correctly without lots of interference...hmmmm).
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: