VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's Your Agent Status?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: What's Your Agent Status? Reply with quote

How many of you have agents? Are they actively seeking auditions for you? Do you have more than one agent in various markets? Does your agent demand a cut if you find work on your own? Overall, is it advantagous for you to have an agent or not? Who are the best voiceover agents?

Glenn Moore
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have 2 local agents. I have not signed with either of them so it doesn't matter how I find work. I haven't had them very long, so the answer is I don't know if they are actively seeking auditions for me, however, I have not gotten an audition because of them yet. When either of them DO find me work, they take 10% as their commission. Because I'm not exclusive with either, I don't have to pay commission for work I find on my own. By the amount of auditions I've received because of my agents I'd have to say that it hasn't been advantageous to have them, however, 2 agencies looking for work for me, in addition to my own looking has to equate to better odds.
I don't know who the best voiceover agents are....I suppose if someone had an agent that was always bringing them in work, to that person, his/her agent is probably the best. Smile

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
Former Commandant of the Marine Corps
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several agents in various parts of the country - West Coast, East Coast, Heartland, International.

The agents I like the best are the ones who keep a smallish stable of voice talent without a lot of redundancy in voice styles who rarely send auditions, but pre-select talent for their clients (that's really their JOB!) and ask them to first use our regular demos to pick the talent - or at the very least to narrow down the selection to the top picks and then do a custom audition if necessary.

I have a fairly new agent about as far away from my actual location as possible and still be in the states - actually a referal from one of my clients to this agent - who just sends work! I LOVE her.

NOTE: AGENTS DON'T SEEK AUDITIONS FOR YOU! THEY TAKE PHONE CALLS FROM PRODUCERS LOOKING FOR TALENT.

An agent doesn't have time to go out looking for auditions for their talent.
Good agents get a lot of phone calls from producers, market their agency to the people who hire talent, network, are up on contracts and trends, and know their area. Good agents work hard to get the best possible rates from the producers who call. They help educate the clients. They keep the best talent so that their clients are not disappointed. They learn their talent's strengths and weaknesses so that they don't send out short spot reader when a long-form reader is required. (Yes, most seasoned voice talent can do both, but not all.)
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have One Great Agent in Atlanta, Georgia, and a group in Minnesota.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one Great-Agent in London, a Step-Agent in LA and an Agent in Law in New York.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: What's Your Agent Status? Reply with quote

1. How many of you have agents?
I freelance with 2 agents here in NY and 1 personal manager. And also do the Atlanta Georgia thing, but w/out ISDN (coming soon) I can't really compete through ATL.

2. Are they actively seeking auditions for you?
Like Connie mentioned, they don't really "actively seek" auditions for me. But when they receive the breakdowns, voicebank castings, or a phone call and if I fit the bill (and their exclusive signed clients don't), then I get a call - and this happens about 2 to 4 times per week. Sometimes, I even get a call that I'm booked w/out an audition... how cool is that? But, in the end, they don't have "Anthony Mendez needs work" on their agenda; they have "hmmm - who fits this type for this casting?" That's why it's CRUCIAL that you define/find your type and run with it.

3. Do you have more than one agent in various markets?
again - 2 in NYC, 1 in ATL - that's it... oh, and one in my bedroom that I see in the mirror all the time Wink

4. Does your agent demand a cut if you find work on your own?
No. That's the beauty of freelancing.

5. Overall, is it advantagous for you to have an agent or not?
Heck yes - those are additional jobs that I wouldn't normally get on my own.

6. Who are the best voiceover agents?
No such thing. The best agent is the one that you work best with. Now there are some agents that have more "recognition" in certain markets as having great relationships with CD's, but the best one is the best on FOR YOU - it doesn't matter if they're A-list or boutique.

-Anthony
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two personal managers (Ingrid French and Paul Donelan) who rarely send me out on auditions, mostly because when they call me I'm already booked for another gig at the time of the audition (very annoying!). The majority of my work comes from repeat business and word-of-nouth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: