VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For crying out loud if you want to be an actor move to L.A.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: For crying out loud if you want to be an actor move to L.A. Reply with quote

I followed the link from an online audition announcement to the FAQ that the casting director kindly posted:

Quote:
Q. I am in Idaho can’t I audition over the internet and use ISDN if I am cast?

A. No and stop asking! For crying out loud if you want to be an actor move to Los Angeles.
Trying to get parts long distance is like trying to be a deep sea fisherman in Kansas.

I think I detect some regional chauvinism here.
skynet74

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laugh That's funny. I was just looking at that same ad the other night. However I also think he has a point. That's why I'm moving to Los Angeles in the fall.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the point of reference is voice acting my last job on Friday was for a movie being made in LA - ISDN from Portgordon. I don't plan to move to LA as it's full of out of work actors and voice overs who have run out of excuses.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey, you are right on.

I can be broke right where I am.... and I dont have to move anywhere to do it...

Frank F
skynet74

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... but I can't think of a more fun place to be broke than LA. If you really love show Business then you would probably have a blast just being near it all. On your day off you can even go be an extra in a Movie or just hang out at a TV show taping such as Jay Leno. I think it all comes down to how involved in the business you want to be. Not just on a professional level, but on a personal level as well. I find immense satisfaction in both.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

L.A. is a grand and glorious place, and is a lot nicer now than when I lived there in the 80's.

When I lived in L.A., I ended up working so hard just to stay alive I never had time to learn how to do anything.

Going to L.A. to get your act together is like taking paper, string and sticks into a wind tunnel and trying to build and fly a kite.
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that the rest of my family out there has either passed on or moved away, I have little to no desire to move back to L.A.

Perhaps Dave Houston will have something to say about this, but I think Austin is a great place to get started. Plenty of opportunities here with the growing film industry, game companies, radio, TV, etc. without the California... um... attitude.

...and smog. Great place to fly kites, too. Laugh
VO-BB Member #59
skynet74

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Deirdre. For many it's not a great idea to just move to Los Angeles with the sole intention of hitting it big. However for me it's more of a lifestyle move than just a professional one. It's also a big mistake to live right in the heart of Los Angeles where all the broken dreams happen. It's way over overpriced and way overcrowded. Move to Palmdale or Lancaster where you can breathe. It's only an hour away and you'll save about $1,000 in Rent every month, but you'll still be close enough to commute to Hollywood whenever you need. There is a smart way to do this where people don't need to go broke to live. Unfortunately most people don't give it this much thought.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny - the 3 days that I spent there, i encountered nothing but very nice and considerate people (i was in the West Hollywood area). I guess since I didn't expect attitude, i didn't attract it.

-Anthony
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone there I have ever dealt with has always been utterly charming. Most recent experience about 10 minutes ago, 9 words for a TV spot. I'm exhausted now. 9 words all crammed into one day ...........OH the pressure!!!
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glittlefield wrote:
Now that the rest of my family out there has either passed on or moved away, I have little to no desire to move back to L.A.

Perhaps Dave Houston will have something to say about this, but I think Austin is a great place to get started. Plenty of opportunities here with the growing film industry, game companies, radio, TV, etc. without the California... um... attitude.

...and smog. Great place to fly kites, too. Laugh

Agree wholeheartedly. There has been some drop-off lately (losing the anime studios, and not as many big-budget films shooting here) but it's still a hotbed of media production and all manner of VO opportunities. Just like anywhere else, however, one gets out of it what one puts in...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of my brothers live in the LA area (Upland) and the housing prices, as many know are through the roof. So if you wanna live in a shack that will, more than likely get broken into and robbed on occassion....for $400,000.00....hey, move there. They both rent because the houses they live in would cost over a million to buy... and their houses are just decent not glorious mansions.

So, I guess it depends on how much money you think you are worth in order to "pull down" the rent.... errr....the mortgage (and hope to God that housing bubble doesn't burst anytime soon). Or, how far a drive you wanna do frequently.....Lancaster is nice....I have been there. However it's a big valley and climbing those mountains to get to LA costs $$$ for gas.

But, if you got it.....you got it ....and you gotta get it. More power to ya.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey got me beat.

I had to do 15 words this morning for an L.A. Producer... now I gotta find something to do with the rest of the day...

I still did not have to leave the mountains either... My commute was only 6 seconds, there is no smog, not too much competition. Housing prices are - "sky high", but I live next to a recreation area. Lots of work here too. (Oops, dont come here, you may not find work... don't want everyone to know my deep dark secrets)

There is entertainment, great recreation and "the beach" (we have lots of lakes and such). Oh well, to each their own...

Frank F

Last edited by Frank F on Wed May 24, 2006 1:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all got me beat. I had to do 15 minutes as a raccoon for a theme park show.....complete with two songs etc (chorus only).....gotta pay your dues though I guess....it was a funny script though....and the pay was good too.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
audiogenic

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't make it where you are with less competition, there is no reason to believe you will make it there with more competition....regardless of the opportunities presented.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: