VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What does your rig look like?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: What does your rig look like? Reply with quote

Hello All:

I am wanting some input from the masters about what is the best, most efficient set up to recording straight to the computer is. Firewire interfaces?? What kind are best etc?

I just wanted to know what y'all are using and what works best before I start into the upgrade phase. I am looking to get a quad-core Power Mac G5 soon....however I may wait on the Intels to arrive later this year.

Thanks!

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
marko

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ben,

I got the PowerMac quad about 4 months ago and LOVE it. I personally wouldn't recommend getting a first generation desktop with the intel until they've gotten the bugs worked out. This quad can hold an astounding 16gigs of ram! I didn't realize how slow my G4 was until I got this baby.

About the equipment questions, I know there are several great equipment gurus here that will be more than willing to offer up advice. I can only tell you what works for me. I have a Neumann TLM 103 and a Neumann BCM 104 paired with an Avalon 737 pre/eq running through a Digi 002. The sound is VERY sweet. The Avalon is simply priceless, in my opinion.

Best of luck to you. I've procured quite a lot of my gear on ebay and Guitar Center. It helps to be an online junkie.
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Marko! I will check out the gear you mentioned.

Have a great holiday weekend!

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up one of the new Mackie Onyx mixers with the optional firewire card.
I'll let you know what I think once I get my studio up and running. Still have to get a new computer. Laugh

For a mic I've got a Rode NTK. Still a few years away from a Neumann.

Last edited by tackerman on Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very interested in hearing your review of the Onyx as well.

My current setup:

Rode NT1000 mic into a ART preamp (but all it does is supply power as I've bypassed it's functions) into a DBX 266a into a Yamaha mixer, into a Presonus Firebox, into the computer. A long chain to say the least.

Sometimes I run the mic straight into the Firebox but to me it's a bit sterile sounding that way and requires some sweetening in Audition.

My next upgrade will be a pre or channel strip that replaces the ART and DBX boxes.
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current setup is a Sennheiser MKH-416 into a Focusrite ISA 220 into the Presonus Firebox. My computer is a Sweetwater Creation Station.
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: mine is Reply with quote

MXL V69 tube mic (or AKG c3000) into JoeMeek 3Q (or alternative Art Studio V3 pre) into Behringer MDX 2200 (for expander/gate to get rid of my computer noise until I get a Whisperroom) into a Mackie Spike A-D converter into a PC.

Greg
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My home setup seems to be a contiual work in progress... just when I say "Yup, that's the last thing I'll need to do, I'm set" I find another way to blow a couple of hundred bucks...

However, I've learned a lot from my playing around with and I'm very happy with the sound quality that I obtain... I haven't had any issues from clients regarding quality either...

Here's the list:

Neumann TLM103 Microphone
Presonus Eureka Channel Strip & Pre-Amp
Pro-Tools LE 7,1 & Mbox
Symetrix TI101 Hybrid Phone Patch
Event 20/20 Monitors
AKG 240 Studio Headphones

Dedicated Windows XP PC
- 2.8 Ghz PIV Processor
- 2.5 Gig Ram
- 19" Samsung SyncMaster 913v
- A few other little goodies that make my life fun and easier

Sound Booth with double insulated walls aurelex foam
BenQ 17' flat panel monitor
Wireless keyboard and mouse for use at the console and in the booth

That's about it... at least the stuff that I acutally use. I guess I should get around to posting some of my misc and no longer used gear on e-bay.

Cheers All..

Brian
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brianforrester wrote:

BenQ 17' flat panel monitor

Wow, you have a 17 foot monitor!!! Wow...that is exceptional.....awwww, sorry Brian, just kiddin'

Thanks to everyone that shared. It is interesting to hear what different people do to get different sounds.

Russ, how has the Sennheiser 416 treated you in combo with the Focusrite? I am leaning in that direction, however, I am looking at the Focusrite Red 8. Any thoughts?

brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no, no.... not a 17' monitor, a 17".... awhh never mind! If I can't say without blushing I shouldn't say it at all! Inoccent

I always seem to screw up the " and ' with imperial measurements... cm and m is a heck of a lot easier. cool
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is hilarious bro.....I wasn't even thinking of THAT slant on it......why you gotta go there?

LOL

LaurenLee
Contributor II

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ben -- I'm very fortunate to be on great terms with the guys at one of the studios I do a lot of work for, and who have loaned me bits of their equipment to try out at home (do you have anyone like that?), plus, in their studio over the last decade or so, they've put me in front of Neumanns, Rodes, ATs and a few other mics I can't remember, and they always keep coming back to the ATs -- which just seem to fit my voice like Italian shoes.

My current setup is a plain ole AT 4060 mic, run through an older model Edirol DAW via USB 2.0 direct to the hard drive. I keep tweaking the DAW for sweetness. My edit software is Adobe Audition, but I try to process as little as possible through the software.

One thing I've seen that the gurus seem to keep pointing out is that the computer soundcard is usually the weakest link in the equation (unless you're comfy with messing with computer innards, which I'm not... I rebuild antique airplanes and historic vehicles, live & work in a 150-year-old country house that I restored myself [BTW, old woodframe=crooked walls=great acoustics] -- but open a computer case -- **Yikes!**). So it would seem best to bypass the soundcard, perhaps.

Hope this helps....
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lauren. I too use a AT4033, which has worked great for me. I am looking into a pre-amp which will make everything sound sweeter for what I want to do. I just purchased an Alesis Multimix 12 Firewire board. The mic I want...not sure yet. I may just spend the dough and not regret something later that way.

That is very cool that you do all the restoration stuff. Good for you!

allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawson L47FET mic
UltraVoice 24/96 mic pre/proc
UB802 & UB502 mixers
Echo Mia/Midi PCI audio card
Truth B2031A monitors
Software: Sound Forge 8 and Cool Edit Pro v1.2a
If all goes well, I will be upgrading later this year to an Avalon mic pre.

Computer is a built-by-me AMD 1.4 ghz Athlon system with Win2000 Pro,
1 gig RAM / 2-80 gig hard drives and an 18" flat panel monitor.
By the way, this system is 5 years old this year and hasn't had any problems.
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allensco wrote:
Computer is a built-by-me AMD 1.4 ghz Athlon system with Win2000 Pro, 1 gig RAM / 2-80 gig hard drives and an 18" flat panel monitor.
By the way, this system is 5 years old this year and hasn't had any problems.

Speaking of computers...my dad is retired and loves fixing electronics....I guess someone in his neighborhood threw out a Gateway with a 2.5ghz pentium, 120 gig harddrive, 1 gig of RAM, DVD ROM and CD ROM drives. He being the trash digger he is, saw it and thought he may be able to salvage some parts from it(hard disk or RAM), not knowing what it was.

Turns out it fired right up. I guess the only thing wrong with it was it needed a better power supply. Now it works like a charm and he gave it to me. So now I'll have two PC's and a MAC.

Can I just say...my dad is the coolest!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: