VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leasing ISDN Equipment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Leasing ISDN Equipment Reply with quote

Does anyone lease their ISDN equipment? Any recommendations?
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know anyone who does it. Why would you?
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a couple sites that offer high end equipment for about $100 per month. That's $1200 per year. If the cost of a decent codec is, let's say, $4000. It would take 3 years and 4 months of leasing to equal the cost of purchase. And with the future of ISDN on shakey ground, I figured I would look into a lease.

Plus, I can right off the expense for taxes.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AudioTX software based codec with a hardware dongle will cost you around $800, if you record at home on a PC you have everything else you need. $800 and it's yours and tax deductible too. High End = Big black box, I got rid of one over 4 years ago and will not go back.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, a good place to check out is digifon.com. They have all the major brands of codec, Audio TX, and they lease equipment. They also offer bridging service in those rare cases where one box isn't compatible with another.

Presuming you don't go with Audio TX (I believe they actually cost about $1200 once you get the ISDN modem and other peripherals) I'd consider buying over leasing. Here's why:

They sell a Prima LT for $3195 and lease it for $120 per month. On a two year lease you'd pay $2880. If you market yourself well and get some work, within a year you can likely pay off the purchase (even if it's on a credit card), but with a lease the payments are always there, and you'll pay some kind of premium to convert your lease to a purchase. While ISDN is an "ancient" technology, it's so entrenched that it should be viable for a few more years. (Unless Frank's iSpeek dealybob sells for $300 and becomes the overnight darling of the industry.)

Also, don't forget you'll pay around $100 per month for the ISDN lines no matter what system you get.

Have fun deciding.

Bruce
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: