VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting paid
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joanhallhovey

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Getting paid Reply with quote

How long after completing a vo job do you wait for payment? I've read 30 days, 15 days...what is usual? I sent an invoice, specified payment via paypal yesterday. The client appears reputable; I did the VO over the phone with a dj at a radio station. In my initial response email, I specified payment Via PayPal but no deadline. This job came via voice123 by the way, even though I'm not longer a member.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joan-- it's a crapshoot.
Some clients are 30 days, some are 60, some are jerks.

With radio station stuff, you usually have to wait one full "cycle" which pays out the next set of payables all at once.
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Getting paid Reply with quote

joanhallhovey wrote:
How long after completing a vo job do you wait for payment? I've read 30 days, 15 days...what is usual? I sent an invoice, specified payment via paypal yesterday. The client appears reputable; I did the VO over the phone with a dj at a radio station. In my initial response email, I specified payment Via PayPal but no deadline. This job came via voice123 by the way, even though I'm not longer a member.

Joan,

I'm afraid you're at their mercy since you didn't specify a deadline. You'll most likely get paid (I've never been stiffed in over 30 years) but it may take some time and a few "reminders" along the way. Just chalk this up to experience... and be sure you specify payment terms (due date) in the future. Oh, and FWIW, the overwhelming majority of my work is paid upon delivery or within 10 days. You get what you ask for so tell'em up front and avoid the anxiety later.

Dave
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Paypal. Most times I am payed in a half hour.
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a case like that, I'd wait a week or 10 days. If you still haven't been paid, send a reminder (I usually resend the invoice with REMINDER typed on it). That usually does it.
billelder

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm usually the last in the food chain. I'm the last to get the script and I don't usually get paid until the person that hires me gets paid. When I got into this full time in 2001 I made sure I had about 6 months salary to make sure I was covered. I send invoices once a month unless otherwise requested. And, PayPal is a fantastic way to get paid.

I can count on one hand the people who have "stiffed" me. Of course I was born with 37 fingers on one hand. LOL (And four fingers and a thumb on the one in the avitar.)
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be it voice or video... I have always been paid on the spot.

(Yes I'm still here... currently in Santa Maria... pending funeral... my mother-in-law died.)

Hope to be back in San Diego by Thursday.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Paypal is probably a good way to go too and I am headed in that direction. I have already been stiffed twice. Once by one of those "Cash in a Flash" places that mysteriously went out of business. The other was by a so called "reputable" producer who doesn't seem to think it is important pay for script revisions. I also have one "problem client" who is past 90 days, and I am told they are thinking about wanting to change their spot again. HA! Not until they pay up.

I have always heard that 90 days is reasonable in this biz. But I think if an accounting dept. can't turn around an invoice in 30 days then that means they are probably stalling while it sits buried on their desk. Either that or the account rep is afraid to give the invoice to the client because they "forgot" to tell them they had to pay for the voiceover.

I say 30 days is reasonable...60 days is an exception....and 90 days is just an excuse on the clients end.

Glenn
donrandall

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I've just been lucky. I have usually been paid in no more than a matter of a few days, but as Deirdre says, some businesses are set up so that the acct payable person does certain things at specified times of the month.

And yes, PayPal is our friend.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paypal is your friend unless you ever get an upgraded account.
I upgraded my account to accept overseas payments, which seem to only work via credit card.

Now every paymentI receive has a fee attached to it.

I don't use it at all EXCEPT for foreign drafts now.
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always provide PayPal as an option for payment, and unfortunately chalk up the fees to being a cost of doing business...

As for payment terms, any new clients always receive the "due upon receipt" stamp, and once a relationship is built (2 paid invoices within a reasonable amount of time) I move them to "net 30" status. My experience has been that getting paid within 10-days is a bonus even if it is payable upon receipt, therefore I don't start sweating until the 35 day mark come around.

I look at invoicing in typical business fashion, the standard for payment terms is net 30, so to expect an accounting dept to change their process for one vendor is probably a bit of a dream.

I have yet to be stiffed on any invoices, but some clients do take longer than others...

If you're worried about non-payment, I would suggest that it's a safe practice to request pre-payment from new clients, however "good judgement" is always the best practice! You'll pretty much get a vibe from clients so go with your gut.... Whatever you do, after a new client has paid you within a reasonable amount of time (you choose what's reasonable) then move them into the preferred client category and provide them terms, it really does go a long way towards showing trust and good faith!

While we may be "starving actors", we're still operating a business within a corporate environment, therefore I would suggest that it's beneficial to understand and accept the "GAAP" (generally accepted accounting practices) of the corporate world and be prepared to live with how they affect your cashflow. The bank statment may not always be pretty, but clients will appreciate that you are understanding of the accounting processes with which they have to live.

That may have sounded like a bleeding heart Canadian, sympathy statement but it's certainly held me in good stead with my clients thus far, both in V/O and my other businesses.

Cheers
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PayPal: usually paid within 24 hours - 48 tops. so the fees are worth it for me.

Regular: usually paid within 30-60 days - burned once by someone in Worcester, MA for a radio spot.

Agents: 60-90 days or whenever they get paid - which could be 30-90 days or, believe it or not, never (although rare, it happens)

-Anthony
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: PayPal for me too! Reply with quote

PayPal for me too. No problem with the fees. I prefer payment upon delivery. Otherise, a check works fine on Net 15 or Net 30, whichever is most convenient. Believe it or not, most go for the Net 15. I have been burned only once for a TV commercial. Needless to say, if he comes back for another later, he will get the "payment up front" request before anything is done and the price will be double, just for my past trouble with him.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthonyVO wrote:

Regular: usually paid within 30-60 days - burned once by someone in Worcester, MA for a radio spot.

Oh dear. I have an overdue invoice for a spot done for a Worcester, MA agency. I was starting to suspect stiffage.

I do hope it isn't the same one....
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one production company in Pennsylvania that is the only entry on my stiffed list-- but it breaks my heart because they were once such great clients.

If they ever want anything again, they'll have to pay in full up front, so I doubt they'll ever call again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: