VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Universal Audio
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Universal Audio Reply with quote

Does anyone out there have any experience with Universal Audio Preamps?

Someone at a music store was telling me they are really nice and dependable. The models they had ran like $1,000.00 to $1,500.00 or so. Not sure if I would be regretting getting one for another more expensive model/brand down the line. If you have experience with them....do they color the sound much and how?

I would also like to get a U87 in the near future. If anyone has any suggestions on alternative pre's based on my mic of choice....that would be cool too.

Any info anyone has would be helpful.

Thanks!

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a session with a mic/pre combo of a U87 with a Neve "Portico". It was pure heaven. The Portico runs about $1600 and pops up on Ebay, every now and again.
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Dan. I will check that pre-amp out.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried out a UA LA-610. The 610 pre was great, especially once I changed the stock tubes to Telefunkens, but the comp section was too slow for Vo's. Like the 610 pre though.....
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do much better for the money...
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info, guys. I really appreciate your comments.

mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might browse the selection at Mercenary Audio. They have some really good stuff and they will send it to you to try and if you don't like it you can send it back and try something else. I've been messing around with microphones with them for 6 months! They don't mind a bit. And if you're in the area, you can visit them any time of the day or night. Amazing customer service.

Look at some of their John Hardy pre-amps.
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I will check them out. I have seen them when browsing online before. Sounds like a good company.

Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VO-Guy wrote:
I tried out a UA LA-610. The 610 pre was great, especially once I changed the stock tubes to Telefunkens, but the comp section was too slow for Vo's. Like the 610 pre though.....

Not to resurrect a dead thread, but I was curious as to which Telefunken tube you ended up using over the stock ones... moreover, what was the difference in tone that you observed?

As for the slow comp, I've found that a trakker works great in conjunction with this (or pretty much any) preamp.

Thanks!!! Smile

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't answer your direct question and may even start some additional debate, but I have heard from an inside source well respected in the VO (VA) industry Wink that the cutting edge in preamp and compresser for vo is coming from Buzz. http://www.buzzaudio.com/products/products.htm. The MA 2.2 and particularly the Optical Compressor.
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Yoda117"]
VO-Guy wrote:
Not to resurrect a dead thread, but I was curious as to which Telefunken tube you ended up using over the stock ones... moreover, what was the difference in tone that you observed?

It gave it a smoother sound. Nicer in my opinion, not as harsh.

Quote:
As for the slow comp, I've found that a trakker works great in conjunction with this (or pretty much any) preamp.

See, now you're gonna get me in trouble. Promised my wife no more gear for at least 3 months. Yeah, like that's gonna happen! cool

Russ
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="VO-Guy"]
Yoda117 wrote:
VO-Guy wrote:

It gave it a smoother sound. Nicer in my opinion, not as harsh.

Quote:

See, now you're gonna get me in trouble. Promised my wife no more gear for at least 3 months. Yeah, like that's gonna happen! cool

Russ

LOL! By that time you ought to have some kind of refund (hopefully). I'd definitely recommend the Trakker.

And yeah, having used the some Buzz audio products, I'll still take the Trakker any day of the week.

But Russ, which tube was it (there are more than a few versions that will work with the 610)?

Thanks!!!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me look through my tax stuff from last year, the reciepts in that and I'll let ya know I don't remember off the top of my head. Speaking of gear, another VO friend of mine just got a Quartet II last month and man it sounds sweet!

Russ
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool... thanks.

Right now, my main purchases are a new desk (with the usual accouterments... VU meters, UPS, etc.), new tube mic, and a new preamp.

The hard part is picking out what preamp I want. I was thinking about grabbing another Wunder PEQ1-R, which work really nicely, or just grabbing an STT-1 Origin. They're about the same price, and while the Origin is very flexible, I already have a pretty hefty setup that I've got sitting here until the desk arrives (Lil' FrEQ, Trakker, Onyx, UA 610 and an original 610... they do not sound even remotely alike, but both are great preamps).

Ahhh... decisions, decisions Sticking out Tongue

Just for DB, I'll have to post a pic or two once I get the desk and start racking stuff together. I noticed all her cels from her pics, and I have some very nice hankens (for those who don't do cels, these are the ones usually done by the lead artist and creators for the covers of the DVDs, posters, etc. they're one time shots) that are on the walls of the room that I'm using for the third studio room (for VO-only... tired of getting kicked out of the other two).

Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't wait to post pix of the cels!
Scan 'em.

!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: