VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Background Hiss Issues
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Background Hiss Issues Reply with quote

Hey!

I started laying down the UCLA narration I booked via Voice123 today and I'm having a problem. There's too much background hiss. I'm using Audacity on my PC with a Samson Q7 microphone. I'm not technically savvy so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of simple suggestions:

One: Start by taking the mic out of the chain, dis-connect the mic and record nothing...10 or 15 seconds should do. If you still have hiss, then check your Windows Volume Control (i.e.: Start>Accessories>Entertainment...), mute or turn off everything bring volumes down to "0". See if you still have "hiss". If not, then bring up each 'slider" one at a time until you find the one which is introducing the "hiss".

Two: After doing 'One', plug the mic back in and do the same thing (thinking you may not have the 'hiss' before you plug the mic back in...).

If you still have hiss, even when everything is down to "0", re-organize your cables, your power cords, etc.

If that does not work, think about getting a mixer and mic that will be outboard of your PC, and maybe a new PC....

Good luck.

Frank F
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Frank! I'll give it a try

Tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through Volume Control and I think "Wave" is causing the hiss. I muted it and laid it down again and it sounded better. Frank, could you send me a "checklist" of the things you do on your PC before you record? What are your Volume Control settings?
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you've got a partial checklist from Frank's previous post... but here's a quick and dirtlly little list

1. Check the Windows Sound properties (same as Frank said) and ensure that only your microphone source volume is enabled and that the record volume is at a good level. Each person's settings are going to be very different, because they depend on each piece of equipment in your recording chain... once you find the settings that work best for you, make a note of them and return them to that setting each time you record... Better yet, if and when you have the ability to afford it, get yourself a dedicated recording computer that the settings stay the same on... The more people that have access to your recording pc, the more chance there is that something will get screwed up between sessions! I always wondered wy audio engineers were soooooo scared of making any changes to their setup, both hardware and software, however I have recently learned that if aint broke... don't go messing with it, cause it WILL cause headaches and cost you much time!

2. Ensure that any programs not directly related to your recording are shut down... no e-mail, web browsers or other programs... it's not entirely necessary, but it doesn't hurt to disconnect your pc from the internet, then turn off your antivirus and firewall software... they tend to take up lots of resources and can impede the recording program from running smoothly.

3. Tell the wife, kids and dog to "shut up... I'm going to be making money to pay for this year's summer vacation!" Better yet, flip them a $20 bill and have them go out for an hour for ice cream and a walk in the park!

4. Warm your voice and body up so that your performance will be at its best!

5. Turn on your mic and enjoy!

Happy Voicing.

Brian
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, Brian!

Even though I mute the Wave slider when recording I still get hiss. My mike cord doesn't touch any other cords so I don't think it's a cord issue. It's possible that I may need a new sound card. I have Sound MAX Digital Audio (that is the sound card, right?) and it's almost five years old. Any suggestions at a reasonable price?
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang-- I hope you don't have a tight deadline.
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm good. One of my close friends runs a recording studio nearby and another runs a production company nearby. I just got back from the production comapny and laid down both narrations & shipped them off. It turned out fine but I really want to resolve this hiss thang.
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reasonably priced and "good enough" quality... I'd say go for an M-Audio product. You can pick up the "Fast Track" usb interface with 1 mic input and one line input for less than $100, however it doesn't have 48v Power for a condenser mic. The next step up would probably be the "Mobile Pre" which I believe has 2 mic inputs and 2 line inputs as well as 48v.

Neither are studio grade gear, but they'll get you by until you can afford to pick up something better.

It's probably best to take a look online and read some reviews to get a better feel for what fits your own situation.

Cheers,
donrandall

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rog - gotta sample that you can make available so we can give a listen to the noise that is bugging you? Is the noise beyond the capability of whatever noise filter you use?

If you don't have a place to park it, you can use www.yousendit.com and post the address here - I think they allow something like 25 downloads, which should be enough for a few of us to give a listen.

Another place you could park the audio is www.putfile.com but those using Macs can't download anything from there for some reason.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brianforrester wrote:
Reasonably priced and "good enough" quality... I'd say go for an M-Audio product.

Caveat: it was my experience that tech support at M-Audio is abysmal if you are not using Pro Tools.
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to www.tomdheere.com/Odundo.mp3 to hear a sample. I left some room tone at the beginning and end so you can hear it. I do know that it isn't my microphone because I detached it & recorded some silence and the hiss is still there. In Volume Control, what does the "Wave" slider control? That's where the hiss is coming from.

Is it possible that's it's my PC that's genreating the hiss?
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I found it!

It's my PC. I started opening and closing programs while Audacity was running and I cranked up the volume. I heard the hiss fluctuating while programs were starting, running, and closing. Sometimes the hiss levels changed as the hourglass was popping up and disappearing.

So how do I fix this?
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

To my ears I'm hearing a couple of things....

1. definately a lot of hiss, which in my humble opinion could be solved by doing 2 things, replacing your mic cable but more importantly replacing your sound card... it sounds to me like most of the noise is coming from innexpensive components on the sound card, but I would also look at upgrading to some better cables, something with good shielding and low capacitance.

2. it almost sounds like your microphone is picking up the hum of a fan...

Would it be possible for you to record 3 new tracks of at least 10-seconds each... one, a track with the microphone on and simply recording the room noise... two, a track with the micrphone off, but plugged in and only recording what the sound card is picking up... three, the microphone unplugged and recording what is being picked up without the completed circuit with the microphone.

Thanks Tom,

Brian
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.tomdheere.com/MikeMuted.mp3
www.tomdheere.com/MikeOn.mp3
www.tomdheere.com/MikeUnplugged.mp3

There you go!

By the way, thanks to everyone for your help. I really appreicate this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: