VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just A question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apageloman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Just A question Reply with quote

Anyone have any thoughts on print materials for business cards, C.D's and what not? I had a few folks ask me to produe a hard copy demo (read C.D.) rather than MP3 E-mail and I want to try to get it to look as good as possible any thoughts to share anyone?
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Business Cards:

1. you could buy a kit and print your own (doesn't always look great imo)

2. you could go to office max/kinko's/etc and have them make them (fast but a little pricey)

3. DB posted a link a while back to a company that takes online orders. Everybody seems really impresed with them. Do a search and it should pop up.

CD: I would NOT do the stick on label thing. They can get stuck in CD players and really tick people off. I splurged and bought an Epson printer that prints to special cds. I really like it for the ability to customize the cd for each potential client.

I generally put my CD in a full size jewel case. Don't use the slim line ones as they fit funny on people's racks. Print out a cover with a spine label for it too. You can get kits for this at any office store.

I like to put everything in a folder so it's together and looks nice. I've thought about getting folders printed up, but so far I just make my own label and stick on the front of it.
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a buddy in Cleveland that owns a very large printing company....he did my cards....front and back (offset printing with a million dollar machine) not a laser copy print....much better.....

The price was $50 for 500 cards and $75 for 1,000 plus shipping and handling. You can't beat that anywhere.

I emailed him a Jpeg image I designed in Photoshop (sized at 3.5" x 2" and at 300dpi), called him with a credit card....they take checks too if you are not in a hurry, and they had them printed in a few days. They look awesome and are better than any other business cards I have seen from others. The best money I have spent in a long time.

Let me know if you want his info....send me a PM and I can give you his phone#, email and website (once I remember what it is).

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
COURVO
Even Taller Than He Seems On TV

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also gladly give a referral to anyone about a very helpful company that went out of their way to custom design eye-catching mailers for me at a decent price.

Courvo
Courvo's "Voice Acting in Vegas" Blog: http://www.CourVO.biz
on your phone at courvo.mobi
"I'm not a news anchor, but I play one on TV."
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Vista Print... an online printing company. Blazing fast service, unbeatable prices...(as in free...seriously...or shipping cost only). I've bought 1000 business cards for as little as $9.00...and they are excellent quality. You can use their templates ( a gazillion of them to choose from) or custom design your own printing online.

Dave

http://www.vistaprint.com
DaveHines

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a huge fan of Vista Print too. I had them do my cards & promo materials (calanders, etc.) I've never used their design services though, always done that for myself, but I hear they're pretty good. Plus, it's tough to beat their prices.
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about Vista Print and the quality of their work. I have never used them. I would imagine they are just regular business cards done on a laser machine. Again offset stuff is the best.....done on a million dollar machine....double sided, glossy....you can do photograph images in your design and the cards always impress people when I give them out.

Anyway, several people asked about the deal via PM. To send your designed business card (front and back Jpeg images) in a 2.5 X3 inch format (300dpi)...send to info@kingdomprinting.net .... his name is Phil.
Trust me, with a well designed card in Photoshop, yours will stand out from the rest like mine do when I pass them out or send them to people. Just reference my name in your email and he will give you the 500 for $50 and 1000 for $75 deal.

PM me for his phone # if you need it.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart wrote:
I splurged and bought an Epson printer that prints to special cds. I really like it for the ability to customize the cd for each potential client.

I generally put my CD in a full size jewel case. Don't use the slim line ones as they fit funny on people's racks. Print out a cover with a spine label for it too. You can get kits for this at any office store.

I have an Epson R320 printer that I bought specifically because of its ability to print on CDs. I do all my own printing for headshots, resumes, CDs and business cards-- but I really have been thinking about getting a pro shop to do my cards once I land on a design I think I'll use for a while. I'm still tweaking my "brand" as 'twere. . .and so I'll be printing small batches of cards until I find the image/slogan/brand I want to run with.

Re Jewel Cases: Alwasy use the full-size cases. If the production company keeps CDs in a rack, that spine is the only real estate you have to remind them of your existence. The slim cases just don't have the visual impact of the quarter inch spine. More often than not these days, though, your demo gets digitized and thrown into a voice roster in the casting gal's computer.
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenWils wrote:
Not sure about Vista Print and the quality of their work....I would imagine they are just regular business cards done on a laser machine. Again offset stuff is the best.....done on a million dollar machine....double sided, glossy....

Ben (and gang)

FWIW, VistaPrint is top of the line quality, full color, glossy offset printing on your choice of media, single sided, double sided...it doesn't matter. There is nothing short cut about them...except their prices. (I have no interest other than seeing my vo buddies save money...I'm not an affliate). All the same, I'm sure your source does good work and I'm pleased you are happy. I wouldn't presume to judge the quality of your source as I've never seen it. But your word is enough...I don't think you would steer us wrong.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
I have an Epson R320 printer that I bought specifically because of its ability to print on CDs.

Yep, the exact model I have.
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for $9.00...I will have to give them a shot then....not sure how they make money....but oh well, it's $9.00.

Thanks for the tip.

Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenWils wrote:
Well for $9.00....not sure how they make money....but oh well, it's $9.00. Thanks for the tip.

I've been wondering the same thing for several years now. Doesn't make any sense to me but, hey...they're saving me a bundle in printing costs so I'm not complaining.
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked out Vista Print's website and it appears that they would be more expensive than $50 for 500 for the product the company I was telling people about would charge. The cards I have are double-sided with full color on both sides, 100lb stock and glossy.

At Vista for the same options:

$25.48 for 500 glossy
add $14.99 for color on the back
add $12.99 for 100 lb stock
add a one time download fee of $4.99 for your image
Plus shipping I am sure....so before shipping the total is $58.45 for the same product I got for $50.00

Sorry to drive this issue headfirst into the ground....however I thought I was going nuts and I wanted clarification. Plus I haaaaaaate getting ripped off. But if you want something simple (one sided)....for a good price Vista is the deal to rock.

Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Casio CW-50, a small CD-specific printer on which I can print my name, tracks, etc. It is most useful for projects where the client wants a hard copy (and onto which I can print the deets). Wouldn't recommend it for much else, especially for mass production of demos for distribution, as the printing is plain and to the point. No graphics or much else. In one workshop in which I participated, it was suggested that, once one decides on artwork, that ought to appear on biz cards, marketing materials, and actual CD demo.
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenWils wrote:
Checked out Vista Print's website and it appears that they would be more expensive than $50 for 500 for the product the company I was telling people about would charge. The cards I have are double-sided with full color on both sides, 100lb stock and glossy.

At Vista for the same options:

$25.48 for 500 glossy
add $14.99 for color on the back
add $12.99 for 100 lb stock
add a one time download fee of $4.99 for your image
Plus shipping I am sure....so before shipping the total is $58.45 for the same product I got for $50.00

Sorry to drive this issue headfirst into the ground....however I thought I was going nuts and I wanted clarification. Plus I haaaaaaate getting ripped off. But if you want something simple (one sided)....for a good price Vista is the deal to rock.

Obviously...your mileage may vary. This moring my email from VistaPrint included the follwoing offer...

SAVE 80%
Premium Business Cards
250 reg. $19.99 NOW $3.99

I receive offers like this several times a month....more than enough frequency to never pay prices like those quoted above.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: