VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this a good sound card?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Is this a good sound card? Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything about the M-Audio Fast Track sound card? It plugs into the USB port and it costs $99. I'm seriously considering picking it up tomorrow to replace that P.O.S. SoundMAX card that's been the srouce of my hiss issues.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually one of the ones that I mentioned in your earlier post... it's certainly not the best sound card around, but for the money it will treat you well... I expect that eventually you'll want to upgrade again, but for the $$$ it's not a bad little unit... I actually have one that I use as a back-up and and as the primary output device for my studio pc.

Keep in mind that the Fast Track DOES NOT have 48v power, so if you're plugging a condenser directly into it, it won't work! However, if you plug your condenser into a pre-amp or phantom power box first then you'll be okay.

Let me know if you want any more info on this one.

Cheers,

Brian
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to the store today to check it out. I asked the guy on the phone yesterday if I could plug my mike into it and he said yes. Was he thinking of a different kind of mike or does this guy just not know what he's talking about?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sales guy is right, you can plug a mic into it.... a dynamic mic will work wonderfully, but in order to use a condenser you'll need a phantom power box. The unit has 2 inputs... one 1/4 jack and one xlr jack, you only use one of them a time though..

When you spoke with the sales guy did you tell him what type of mic that you have? Acutally... what type of mic DO you have? If you have a dynamic, you'll be fine with the FastTrack, but I would suggest that you won't stay with a dynamic mic for too long, so definately upgrade to the MobilePre or something else with phantom power.

Good Luck.

Brian
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm back from the store and this is what I got:

Presonus Inspire 1394 4x4 Firewire Recording System
Belkin Firewire 3-Port PCI card
Total: $254

It was more than I wanted to spend but it needed to be done. It comes with the program Q Basic so I have to each myself how to use it. I'm gonna crack open my tower and install the card (I assume I'll be yanking out my modem card to make room), install the software, and see what happens. If I'm not back in two hours, call the National Guard!
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, should we call the Guard yet?

How'd the install go?
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success! I did have some trouble and I had to call the store and then PreSonus tech support, but it's in and it works. The CuBase LE software, however, scares the carp out of me and I need to learn it fast! I have to lay down and edit two projects by tomorrow afternoon. I know how to record & play the track but I gotta learn how to edit. Any tips?
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What were you using before? Use it again.

I got a version of Cubase LE a while back. Spent 5 minutes with it, then uninstalled it and threw away the disc. Not to say it was a bad program, I have no idea. I just couldn't be bothered with the learning curve when I have a perfectly good copy of Audition.
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CuBase software is terrifying! Too..many...buttons! I decided to see if Audacity works with this stuff and thank the gods, it does! Here's some room tone:

www.tomdheere.com/RoomTone.mp3

Is this workable now?
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your're not doing MIDI or using 'samples' - CuBase is not the program for you.

The same goes for several other programs, such as Ableton Live 5, Nuendo, Acid Pro 6, etc.

You are the right track with what you have, now just make it work for you.

Frank F
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rognog wrote:

Is this workable now?

The right side is great but there's still a hum in the left.
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I correct that?
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First a question. Did you record it as a stereo file originally? Or is it a mono that's been converted somewhere along the way.

Sounds to me like electricity in the way. Make sure you don't have any power cords near your audio cords for starters. If they have to cross each other put em at a 90 degree angle. EDIT: I could be wrong on this one, I haven't analyzed the file but I'm guessing it's 60hz hum

See if that helps.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have your A/C going? Or a fan... it's a motor of some sort... and I second Hart's comment or question - did you record in stereo? Or in mon and convert to stereo?

This file has a motor hum which has some vibration in in it... Could be your hard drive, your fan, your computer sitting on a hollow wood box or desk, or some other type of motor rleated noise.... Good luck Detective, "...the game is afoot...".

It's not too bad - level wise, but it is annoying.

Frank F
donrandall

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rognog - I recorded your noise and listened. I don't have any solutions, but it really surprised my that a Presonus product would generate that kind of noise, and quite honestly, I doubt that is the source. I can't quite shake the nagging thought that somewhere in there, is a ground that just isn't quite right.

That much noise is way too much - I can't imagine that a noise filter would be able to fix it without damaging the voice track.

I got curious, and placed a bit of yours - a second and a half next to a second and a half of the noise from my on board soundcard, then I took a sample of my noise and doubled it and then doubled it again, each of those samples run a half second, so the whole thing goes by pretty fast. I then stuck the audio on my server. If you would be interested in hearing this fabulously intriguing and highly exciting juxtaposition, you can do so at www.theradiohelper.com/soundcards.wav.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: