VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hi from a noob
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gswartz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: hi from a noob Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I am a noob to VO, but I'm taking my first coaching lesson this week and I'm extremely excited about one day making the switch to doing VO full time. To finally say goodbye to the web programming world will be great. Anyway, I've been reading quite a bit on this board and the info is great. Everyone seems very friendly and I'm looking forward to making new friends here.

Since I haven't had any real experience doing VO before, I was wondering what some of you might suggest as my first steps toward getting some local jobs just to have something on my resume. I did read the thread about marketing yourself and I got the point to pick up the phone. But, aside from that, are there any other first steps that someone like me should take? I expect it's going to be hard to land some clients without having any real experience aside from a demo CD/mp3, so I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

Geoff
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read aloud every day.

Hey-- I like "Night Air".
Satriani-esque.
gswartz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:

Hey-- I like "Night Air".
Satriani-esque.

Smile Thanks, he's always been my biggest influence.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, practice practice practice. Once you think you are good enough to be on a local radio spot then practice practice practice some more. Then go buy the local radio station's production guy a beer.

Seriously, make friends with the production guy/girl at any local radio station. They are always in need of extra voices. But don't count on getting paid for it.
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an excerpt of an email I sent to another aspiring VO talent just a few days ago:

"...I don't have to tell you what a challenging and sometimes frustrating industry this is. I'll tell you straight up, only you can get yourself auditions. Here is some basic advice to get some:

Take acting and VO classes (I can give you names)
Get great headshots (you can get good ones for under $500)
Produce a strong commercial demo (I know a course you can take)
Get a website (Yahoo, $8.95 a month)
Join organizations to keep you in the loop and to network
Get some networking software to keep track of all your contacts and correspondences (I recommend ACT! 2006)
Look for a good franchised agent
Learn everything you can about marketing
Make cold calls until you can't take it anymore (and learn to handle rejection with a smile!)
Followup with all your contacts regularly (probably the most important piece of advice I can give you)
Unless you're extremely attractive and/or have some very high-level contacts, this is only the way to get auditions. That's the reality of it.

If you want to talk about this in more detail, go to my website www.tomdheere.com, check out my stuff, and drop me a line.

Good luck!

Tom"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read up on the subject. Here are five books that I found particularly enlightening:

VO: Tales and Techniques of a Voice-Over Actor, by Harlan Hogan

The Voice Actor's Guide to Home Recording, by Harlan Hogan and Jeffrey Fisher

Secrets of Voice-Over Success, by Joan Baker

The Art of Voice Acting, by James R. Alburger

You Can Bank on Your Voice, by Rodney Saulsberry

Read them aloud and you'll be killing two birds with one stone. That's what I did.

Tony
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: hi from a noob Reply with quote

gswartz wrote:
Hi everyone... I'm extremely excited about one day making the switch to doing VO full time. To finally say goodbye to the web programming world will be great.

Don't give up your day job. Someone has to buy the groceries... pay for the VO training... buy the equipment... etc.
Wink
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff----Think of it this way:

You didn't buy a guitar and immediately ask people, "Where can I find a great gigging band?"

Right?

You need to learn how to DO IT before you can make plans on SELLING IT.

Just because you've been talking all your life doesn't mean you've been practicing VO skills all your life. Once in a while, our slogan here is "If it were as easy as reading, everyone would be doing it".

Last edited by Deirdre on Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. If you are paying a voice over coach who is unable to answer the questions you've asked here, find another coach. Not joking. Have you asked your coach? What was the answer?

Having made the above suggestion, the advice above is worth taking on board.
gswartz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
Welcome aboard. If you are paying a voice over coach who is unable to answer the questions you've asked here, find another coach. Not joking. Have you asked your coach? What was the answer?

Having made the above suggestion, the advice above is worth taking on board.

Actually, I haven't asked my coach this stuff yet. As I said, this week is my first meeting with her, so hopefully we'll run over these kinds of questions. Thanks!
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plan to ask the questions, 95% of noobs never make a cent and if you fall into the 95% you're coach will not give you a refund.

Here's another important question you should ask your coach.

"From what you've heard me do so far do you believe I have the natural ability required to be a voice over". Any coach worth the money will be able to detect abilitly, say yes or no and explain why it is or isn't there.

What did you learn during your first lesson? The reason I ask I have never been coached and I would like to able to tell people what they should expect.
gswartz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
What did you learn during your first lesson? The reason I asked I have never been coached and I would like to able to tell people what they should expect.

I haven't had it yet. It's on Wednesday night. I'll report back with how it went.
gswartz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
Geoff----Think of it this way:

You didn't buy a guitar and immediately ask people, "Where can I find a great gigging band?"

Right?

You need to learn how to DO IT before you can make plans on SELLING IT.

Just because you've been talking all your life doesn't mean you've been practicing VO skills all your life. Once in a while, our slogan here is "If it were as easy as reading, everyone would be doing it".

I completely agree. I'm not planning on running out right away and trying to land clients. I just want to make sure that I have a game plan in place for when I am ready. I don't want to end up geoing through the training and practice and then just end up being lazy waiting for someone to just call me. I'd rather make sure I have a goal and plan in place to follow. Thanks!
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
Welcome aboard. If you are paying a voice over coach...

I see you're from Canton, Ohio. Who is your VO coach?
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
gswartz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean Zarzour from Lakewood. It's a bit of a drive, but I wasn't able to find anyone closer. Are you familiar with this area?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: